• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Thoughts on online GP consults?

blockbusterparty

Bluelighter
So this isn’t related to recovery per se and I really wasn’t sure where to post this…

Anyway, I was wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on all the telehealth sites that have been popping up—again, not specially talking about ones related to mental health and/or addiction—during this time of Covid? I live in the U.S. and have been recently checking out some of these sites out. Unfortunately, most of them do not accept insurance for the appt, so are expensive in that regard. Though it can be nice to not have all your health info on your insurance.

On the plus side, in some states, and for some conditions, and on some apps (lol, a lot of “somes”), you only have to have a chat with the doc, not a video or phone session. For those of us with severe anxiety, like me, this makes things way easier. I don’t think this is the case for nose of these apps though.

Also, most/many apps will not prescribe meds certain muscle relaxants or even clonidine. This is incredibly frustrating. I don’t waby to have to go through trouble of filling out all this personal info, or even taking photos of a prescription bottle I already have for a refill, only to be told they won’t do it.

I have many more thoughts on telehealth in all sorts of situations. Was wondering how those on the other end (who work on it/in the health care field) feel about it? Is there a sense people are using it as a pill mill and hence all the restrictions or is this seen as a real way to help people…or both? (I’m guessing the latter).

Hey bbp, I changed the title cos here in Australia Telehealth is a different thing to what you're talking about, and it might be called something else in other countries too. Let me know if you wanna change the title to something else.

But on topic: I am not a doctor, I am an addict. HOWEVER my siblings are all doctors so I am privy to a bit of insider info about this kinda stuff. So I have the perspective from both the addict who doctor-shops (me), and the doctors and legislation who are trying to stop doctor-shopping/pill milling from happening 😆

The answer is YES, they both genuinely want to help people get easier access to health care, but they also absolutely must have all these restrictions in place to try and stop people like me from abusing the system. Sure it is annoying, but unfortunately it is necessary.