This Mod needs some help, important question

Status
Not open for further replies.
themagicbean-
Can you point me to an example of a statute that imposes a duty to rescue? I'm very curious.

Here's two. R.I. Gen. Laws § 11-56-1  (2002) ; Minn. Stat. § 604A.01 (2002). Hawaii, Wisconsin, and Vermont also have duty-to-rescue statutes, but said statutes are far more common in civil law countries.
[ 09 February 2003: Message edited by: themagicbean ]

One thing that springs immediately to mind is precedent estblished in non-internet cases of this type. Surely in the past one or more individuals have encouraged another individual to consume intoxicants until death occured. The most immediate example I can think of would be frat parties where a person is encouraged to drink until they passed out/died from alcohol poisoning. Are people attending these parties routinely held liable? What about attendees who fail to render aid?

Let's take it at face value...Free speech means people can say what they want.

What if the "person" on the other end of the chat was bullshitting?

Inciting panic?

Liability is nil, too many loopholes and mystery participants.

Well, by now everyone knows exactly what case we're talking about, right? It was all over the news and these boards.

Is there any news on whether there will be any charges pressed against the people that egged him on? Seems this could be the test case for exactly what we're talking about here.

--- G.

I want to thank everyone who took the time and effort to reply to this thread. Your efforts are appreciated. Please email me directly at [email protected] if you have something significant to add.

(closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.