• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

The Universe and theory

Skyie

Bluelighter
I would like to know what your opinions are about how this universe/life came into play and this may seem lame " thread " but it's something to ponder about.

0. If humans/life never came into play... umm what would be the purpose in the planets?

1. Sum up the big bang for me because it's hard to understand how something came from nothing and if you could add some theories behind it.

2. After life

3. I just don't see how something can go on forever and ever .. and ever and ever and frankly I do not believe it what so ever so if you could add some of your own ideals and theories

It's really weird thinking about it and it's almost like life itself was not meant to happen. Suddenly poof... we are here in the middle of nowhere.

I guess I'll throw my pennies in here.

As for your first one, even if there were absolutely no life whatsoever, who says that planets have a purpose in the first place? I'm sure there are many planets out there which cannot sustain any form of life so would you call them purposeless? Planets are just there. They don't have a specific purpose in my opinion, they just happen to exist.

Sum up the big bang? I'm not too familiar with it myself but I'm pretty sure it wasn't out of nothing; there were a load of gases already there (correct me if I'm wrong), so in essence, something came from something, not nothing. In sum up, reaction happened -> big bang -> other things appeared. Like I said, I'm not too up on my physics, but that's how I see it.

What really is the head-fuck is that the universe is expanding and if this is true, wtf is it expanding into? This is why I don't think about that kind of stuff.

Regarding the afterlife, it really depends on a person's personal beliefs. If you're Christian, you tend believe in heaven and hell and such. Other religions believe in reincarnation, that you come back as something else. Personally, I don't really believe in an after life, although many do because it alleviates that fear of death.

And yeah, it is kind of "poof" we're here existing as a result of a series of random events. Things just happened and then they followed on from one another. Talking about things as if they were "meant" to happen kind of lends itself to the idea of fate and fate is like a whole other massive thing to think about.

Anyways, thats a few of my views that could potentially not make any sense, but these are all really tough and confusing things to think about. :p

I guess I'll throw my pennies in here.

As for your first one, even if there were absolutely no life whatsoever, who says that planets have a purpose in the first place? I'm sure there are many planets out there which cannot sustain any form of life so would you call them purposeless? Planets are just there. They don't have a specific purpose in my opinion, they just happen to exist.

O_O I guess they wouldn't be of any concern to anyone just floating balls in the middle of no mans land..

Sum up the big bang? I'm not too familiar with it myself but I'm pretty sure it wasn't out of nothing; there were a load of gases already there (correct me if I'm wrong), so in essence, something came from something, not nothing. In sum up, reaction happened -> big bang -> other things appeared. Like I said, I'm not too up on my physics, but that's how I see it.

I know this isn't going to go anywhere but I have nothing to do around here other than get bashed on by old members so ... How was that something made " self opinion of course " and where do you think these gases came from ?

It's like the whole universe is like an imagination of nothing.
I can't really say things how I mean them but I'll give it my best go.
Its hard to believe that space can go one forever, and ever but what is space confined in ? How were these gases floating around in nothing to make something and if there was already something ... how was that something made ?

so mystical

What really is the head-fuck is that the universe is expanding and if this is true, wtf is it expanding into? This is why I don't think about that kind of stuff.

If I were to know the answer to all of these questions I'd be content with mortality.. but as no one knows this answer.. its like a great movie with a terrible cliff hanging ending .

Regarding the afterlife, it really depends on a person's personal beliefs. If you're Christian, you tend believe in heaven and hell and such. Other religions believe in reincarnation, that you come back as something else. Personally, I don't really believe in an after life, although many do because it alleviates that fear of death.

Reincarnation would really suck, I wouldn't want to come back as a deer and constantly having to deal with dodging pop shots.

And yeah, it is kind of "poof" we're here existing as a result of a series of random events. Things just happened and then they followed on from one another. Talking about things as if they were "meant" to happen kind of lends itself to the idea of fate and fate is like a whole other massive thing to think about.
True, but its odd to think that maybe life wasn't meant to happen . You make a serious point

Anyways, thats a few of my views that could potentially not make any sense, but these are all really tough and confusing things to think about. :p

Thanks though for taking the time to chat about it:)

0. If humans/life never came into play... umm what would be the purpose in the planets?
What is the purpose of planets even though humans have come into play? There is a weak theory that states "The reason the universe looks and function the way it does, is because if it looked and functioned differently we wouldn't be hear to see it."

1. Sum up the big bang for me because it's hard to understand how something came from nothing and if you could add some theories behind it.
The theory of the big bang only goes back to where the laws of physics break down. We can't comprehend or explain anything before that.

2. After life
I'll leave that to the philosophers.

3. I just don't see how something can go on forever and ever .. and ever and ever and frankly I do not believe it what so ever so if you could add some of your own ideals and theories
Time is not absolute, it is merely a dimension of our universe and arguably only a construct of human minds.

edit:
regarding something from nothing...due to some complex quantum equations there is a chance that out in the middle of nowhere in space a positron and electron will spontaneously be created and then annihilate each other with a net zero mass energy change.

Last edited:
What is the purpose of planets even though humans have come into play? There is a weak theory that states "The reason the universe looks and function the way it does, is because if it looked and functioned differently we wouldn't be hear to see it."

The theory of the big bang only goes back to where the laws of physics break down. We can't comprehend or explain anything before that.

Time is not absolute, it is merely a dimension of our universe and arguably only a construct of human minds.

edit:
regarding something from nothing...due to some complex quantum equations there is a chance that out in the middle of nowhere in space a positron and electron will spontaneously be created and then annihilate each other with a net zero mass energy change.

8o amen

i always get frustrated thinking about this kinda stuff. the stuff where there is no positive answer. which is why in my opinion the only legitimate religious belief is to be agnostic.

I think it would be in better in the hands of Theologians, or maintained as private belief.

One thing that puzzles me is the accelerating expansion of the universe. Positing theoretical 'dark energy' to overcome gravity seems quasi-metaphysical to me. Dark matter and drak energy are making a mess of standard models and seem like a cop-out by cosmologists with too much invested in the Big Bang theory. I hope to live to see it's successor:):)

I think it would be in better in the hands of Theologians, or maintained as private belief.
Ah yes I perhaps meant sociologists but I get confused with all the softer sciences ;)

Ah yes I perhaps meant sociologists but I get confused with all the softer sciences ;)

I've hear Theology called many things, but never a soft science. Have you never been into a humanities department of a University?

I would class Theology as a Hard humanity:\:\

I was merely trying to say that I appreciate the study of religion from an anthropological, sociological, and psychological point of view. In effect leave discussion on the afterlife to people who study individuals and cultures who believe in the afterlife.

maybe we can see all dimensions but the the n-space is rotating too fast and we are expanding too quickly to perceive it.

if we can percieve below a third why wouldnt we be able to see above it?
The dimension would consist of the path of every particle and where its been in all its entirety.
If you were above the universe watching it, you would see a definite path of everywhere everything has been.

If you took a piece of paper and drew a small circle. u can call it the core of the earth. then draw a ring around it (like saturn and it could represent the earths spin) now make the ring the top or bottom of a cylinder. then revolve that cylinder into a circle creating a hollow like tube. then you can revolve that which can revolve again and again.. to n times.

then remember that the universe is expanding
so all these motions are going on at once. and therefore at one second the earth is positioned at t in space time and the next if could be positions millions of light years away from t.

I was merely trying to say that I appreciate the study of religion from an anthropological, sociological, and psychological point of view. In effect leave discussion on the afterlife to people who study individuals and cultures who believe in the afterlife.

Academic Theology encompasses such inquiry.