• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

The truth about painkiller addiction

spini4

Bluelighter
The Truth About Painkiller Addiction

Unlike many of his friends, who felt stymied in the small Appalachian town where pills and heroin were short-term cures for boredom, this young man could imagine a future for himself. But a month before graduation, he was in a car accident. The injury to his right shoulder ruined his ability to throw overhead—and the damage went far beyond his anatomy. He developed post-traumatic stress disorder from the crash. Even worse, he told me, his universe was shattered. Football had given him both social status and a sense of purpose. What made this devastation bearable was the hydrocodone that his orthopedic surgeon gave him. Within six months, he was drinking and still using the pills that the sympathetic surgeon continued to prescribe. Eventually, he moved to heroin. By the time we met, he was enrolled in a buprenorphine clinic and was otherwise drug-free, but was still trying to regain his footing. Every day, he went to work at a fast-food restaurant and felt bitter about the direction of his life.

Read the whole story at: https://amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/595090/

I have rarely seen this side of the story told so well. Thank you for sharing!

That's not really The Truth About Painkiller Addiction so much as One Guys Experience with Painkiller Addiction.
Mine, for example, could not be more different.

Good article. I was a poly drug addict before I tried opiates so I really relate to this articles message. Prescription's probably needed to be reigned in a bit but there has been a massive overcorrection