Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

The Theater Experience. What annoys you?

I've never eaten (besides popcorn obv) at a movie theatre. Just seems like there's a time and a place for everything and that isn't it.

Yeah, I can't imagine buying a hot dog or nachos at a movie theater. I don't judge those who do but I can't personally imagine enjoying the experience for whatever reason.

Yeah, I can't imagine buying a hot dog or nachos at a movie theater. I don't judge those who do but I can't personally imagine enjoying the experience for whatever reason.

the theater where i went to college had $1 hot dogs, popcorn and pop. i used to skip dinner at the dinning hall and eat at the theater. tickets were only $5 too, it was pretty awesome.

now i am annoyed by the amount of previews. i saw a movie on sunday that had 20 minutes of trailers and ads.

I have no interest in popcorn and gallons of soft drink.

Until such time as they sell snacks I enjoy I will continue to buy sushi from the train next door and wash it down with a premixed gin and tonic.

IMO, theater owners and fast food restaurants are out to rob the dignity of people who ask for water cups. It's like "hey, look at me and my pitiful four-ounce cup." Shameless.
Thank you. I've gone to the theater with people who, clearly embarrassed, wondered why I didn't "just buy bottled water." I ignore them to be polite, saying I "just want a sip," but think to myself, "it works!" A transparent ploy to shame people into buying something, water, that I can't imagine any reasonable or humane person denying another, regularly works in favor of an extortionist that will not allow a customer's own water into their theater. On the surface purchasing bottled water seems trivial enough, but it's kind of sick when you consider the calculation made and meant to inform company policy and the thoughtless/tacit endorsement of that implied ethical position by so many movie goers.

Price of Tickets: It is honestly insane. I watch at least three movies every time I go to the theaters with the same ticket because 9 times out of ten everything that is playing is merely entertaining at best. I never go see movies I actually have a hard-on for seeing at the theater, unless it is a really nice theater with few seats and excellent acoustics.
Sound and Video Quality: Garbage. End of story. Movies look horrible on the big screen compared to home viewing. Maybe there are a few good theaters out there, but for the most part the sound is pathetic, acoustics are not given a second thought with regard to how horrible the speakers are already (creating a domino effect of sorts), and picture quality is really horrible as though I'm watching someone actually record the film with a camera from the back row. I don't know how they get away with it. If I'm going to pay $10 dollars to simply watch a movie, it better be utterly fantastic quality, which it isn't. There is no magic in going to the movies.

^yeah you need quality for it to be worthwhile. that and discounts. full price is ridiculous.

IMO, theater owners and fast food restaurants are out to rob the dignity of people who ask for water cups. It's like "hey, look at me and my pitiful four-ounce cup." Shameless.

bottled water doesn't count as "outside food or beverage" for most theatre chains. next time you go, ask if you can take one in.

absolutely. occasionally, i just load up a backpack at the local drug store -- beef jerky, soda, beer, and whatever else. no one at the theater ever seems to kick up much of a fuss either.

If I'm going to pay $10 dollars to simply watch a movie, it better be utterly fantastic quality, which it isn't.
you're not paying to see the greatest movie ever - you're paying to see the movie. movie makers can't please everybody and your response is entirely selfish - "i think this is too expensive so i should get it for free".

the movie ticket market is a free market. if you don't like the price, don't pay it (but don't expect to see the movie too).

whatever you do, never move to london - a circle ticket for screen one at the empire leicester square is over $25 these days.
There is no magic in going to the movies.
you need to take some responsibility for your part in that...

alasdair

People talking during the movie. Seriously, other people might be trying to get in to it. God that annoys me.

To add to what I wrote five years ago: Commercials. It's pretty bad when you remember the very first commercial you ever saw at the movies ("If I could be like Mike..."), because you saw none others for years and years, which was just great, until you reach the present day, when going to a first-run movie early equates with sitting through shitty Coca-Cola and sitcom ads. Strangely though, I don't mind previews, since I see them a kind of grace period in case you or your friends are running late. And hell, I do like to see what's coming out.

Perhaps it hardly matters, as I go to the movies so rarely these days (3-5 times a year, tops) that such annoyances rarely have the chance to become real pet peeves. And I still say there's nothing like the communal experience of watching something funny or extraordinary. :)

When we go to the theater we take our own drinks and candy for the reasons already given. I will continue to do this as long as the prices and selection at the theater continue to suck.

The exception to that is our local cinema does a 3 month long family film thing in the summer while the kids are out of school. Every week they show a different (older) family film on Wednesday and Thursday morning, completely free of charge. It is first come, first serve, and the theater is always packed, but for the past two summers I've taken my boys to every single showing. On these days we buy snacks or popcorn. I see it as a thank you for the free movie, and it costs a lot less than movie tickets do. :)

On the topic of commercials/previews: Previews really don't bother me unless they run for 20 - 30 minutes. I like watching them and knowing what's coming out. The ads for the snack bar and such are really annoying though.

^ I think I got my answer to the question I asked you in Paranormal Activity. ;) I should have read this first.