• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

The strange history of methamphetamines

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
IN THE 1930s, 40s, 50s and 60s, methamphetamine was commonly sold in Australian pharmacies — for a while you didn’t even need a prescription.

It was mainly often under the brand-name Methedrine.

9a19d7a5918f118d2aa27dc3049c80a3

Methedrine was a brand-name for methamphetamine hydrochloride which is powdered meth — (as opposed to crystal meth or ‘ice’. But powdered meth can still cause psychosis, violence, depression and anxiety — what we called “speed” for a long time.

At one stage, you could even get an intravenous Methedrine injection from the doctor if you felt you needed it.

But who doesn’t need an injection of “optimism and co-operation”, right?

32008967c74cc28f2d11a3beea5ac86b

99f161e00354eda83677a6e06778c593

Methamphetamine hydrochloride was invented in 1919 Japanese science labs when chemist Akira Ogata combined some key ingredients with a formula made a few decades earlier.

In the 1940s Methamphetamine hydrochloride (powdered meth) was not just sold as Methedrine, but also as Norodin, “useful in reducing the desire for food and counteracting the low spirits associated with the rigours of an enforced diet”; Desoxyn, “for when she’s ushered by temptation”; and Syndrox, “for the patient who is all flesh and no will power.

6f69e271796549ccc58b84910c544e2c

“But I just can’t resist desserts” — well, we won’t hold that against you greedy, weird 1940s side-hat-cleavage lady — try some Efroxine. After all it is “more likely to produce cerebral stimulation with relatively few side-effects” (little they knew).

69809434fc1091c66a8432d0255cc84c

In the 1940s (before, during and after being used by the Nazi’s in the Second World War) Methamphetamine was sold all over the world as a treatment for obesity, depression, fatigue and colds.

BUT IT WAS BENZEDRINE THAT PROVED EVEN MORE POPULAR

In the late 19th century, Amphetamine sulfate (not methamphetamine, but similar — also sometimes referred to as “speed”) was developed in Romania.

Amphetamine sulfate was commonly sold under the brand-name Benzedrine. As you can see most of the time it was marketed to women — especially housewives.

590b1cb5b3b3a3f84106fa85b41d1a04

The big American pharmaceutical company Smith, Kline, and French (SKF) sold ‘Benzedrine’ in pills and inhalers. First sold as a decongestant, by the 1930s, the company was promoting it as a treatment for 33 different ailments, from alcoholism to erectile dysfunction.

This marked the start of a 20-year period in which amphetamines became the most commonly prescribed antidepressant in the western world.

ac431f78f65dce55077886510768be88

People even started getting high while they were, well, already high: Benzo inhalers started appearing on Pan Am flight menus in the 1940s, alongside cigarettes, drinks, and cocktails.

8ffc22400c8582ea8c7069adc396daa6

Australia embraced amphetamines. I found over 70 articles published about the drug in Australia throughout the late 1930s and early 1940s, all of which talked up the new-found happiness pill that also made you smarter.

No endorsement, though, compared to the one published in Adelaide’s The Mail on 15 May 1937: “Soon We Will All Be Brilliant”, the headline read.

Other newspapers ran articles saying “New Drug will Banish Shyness” and that Benzedrine is the “New Drug for Happiness.”

In his book Speed, Professor Nicolas Rasmussen from UNSW tells how “President John F. Kennedy received regular injections of a methamphetamine, together with vitamins and hormones, from a

German-trained physician named Max Jacobson. Jacobson would go on to treat ... Truman Capote, Tennessee Williams, and the Rolling Stones”.

0d8d9df257accc69875245558c583fcf

However, even by the late 1940s Benzedrine was becoming associated with deviancy both in America and here. In 1948, a New South Wales man was jailed for vagrancy, during the court hearing he admitted to taking 200 Benzedrine tablets a day.

A few months later, a 47-year-old telegraphist from Burwood, NSW, Arthur Haybe, was charged with murder, and told detectives he had used Benzedrine tablets “to keep himself awake in the early hours of morning” because he believed his wife “visited a neighbour at night”.

In October 1948, an unnamed 60-year-old mother of two Benzedrine addicts told reporters that her sons were taking up to 80 tablets a day, and said, “Benzedrine is slowly murdering my boys before my eyes. It is heartbreaking.”

AUSTRALIA’S FIRST METH SCENE

Moves were made to make the drug’s illegal — but not before Australia’s first meth scene developed. In the mid-1960s, Australian partygoers were taking Methedrine in the bright, new discotheque scene.

On 28 June 1967, The Canberra Times published an article titled “Night Spot, a den for drug addicts and criminals”, in which girls admitted to taking Methedrine and Dexedrine to “keep dancing or just to stay awake”.

MAKING METHAMPHETAMINE ILLEGAL

In the 1970s the United Nations created a major international treaty on drug prohibition. Australia would soon follow banning the sale of most meth and amphetamine products. America had done the same thing a few year’s earlier.

Meth production moved to the black market, and in particular biker gangs, which would later join up with Mexican cartels.

The Hell’s Angels first made amphetamine sulfate, then they realised they could make powdered meth far easier. Over time, these international drug gangs became richer.

Production moved to poorer nations. Over time they stopped making powdered meth and worked out to make crystallised meth (crystal meth is powdered meth crystallised); thus making the world’s strongest stimulant.

METHAMPHETAMINE IN AUSTRALIA TODAY

Today, the street slang for meth confuses the fact there are actually three distinct formulas: Amphetamine sulfate (once sold as Benzedrine); Ogata’s 1919 formula of powdered meth (sometimes called “meth” or “speed”) and “ice” (crystallised meth — but also called “meth” — the drug that is causing all the trouble of late).

Powdered meth has been available on the illicit drug market in Australia since at least the 1980s. We called it “speed” — but “speed” is really just powdered meth. So if you were taking ‘speed’ from the 90s onwards, you were actually taking meth.

Illicit crystal meth has been around in Australia since at least the late 1990s and has become increasingly popular.

The Australian Government’s 2013 National Drug Strategy Household Survey showed that use of the less potent powdered meth decreased significantly between 2010 and 2013, while the use of crystal methamphetamine more than doubled in the same period. It’s a trend that has continued.

Overall meth use has declined slightly in the last few years, but the shift to crystal meth use has meant the people who are using meth are using it more regularly. This means many more are becoming addicted and seeking medical help as a result. New research also shows the number of Australians dying from methamphetamine use is rising.

When you take any type of meth your dopamine (a motivation/arousal/reward brain chemical) and serotonin (your good mood brain chemical) levels jump and your noradrenaline (your anxiety brain chemical) levels drop.

When you come off the drug the opposite eventually happens — making you feel pretty ordinary. High levels of dopamine are also associated with a schizophrenics brains — that’s why crystal meth can cause psychosis. It also known that repeated meth use can make some users more violent.

In my personal experience the drug makes you egotistical, self-centred, grandiose and sometimes cruel.

Some users are drawn to the drug because it provides temporary relief from both anxiety and depression, but what was not understand mid last century was that amphetamines of all types only make

you feel worse in the longer-term; and that’s how addiction can start.

It’s quite extraordinary how it’s all panned out — isn’t it?

Source: http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...s/news-story/b82f848ee30767a69ae6fff719f122da

Gonna have to disagree with the statment that drugs make you feel worse in the longer term. Maybe in healthy individuals If something is seriously wrong with you and you require a drug such as amphetamine or opiates due to a debilitating physical or metnal conditions, drugs make you feel better for the rest of your life. than you would be without them.

This type of thinking that drugs will always make everything worse for someone 100 percent of the time is very dangerious to people that require drugs for quility of life

Gonna have to disagree with the statment that drugs make you feel worse in the longer term. Maybe in healthy individuals If something is seriously wrong with you and you require a drug such as amphetamine or opiates due to a debilitating physical or metnal conditions, drugs make you feel better for the rest of your life. than you would be without them.

This type of thinking that drugs will always make everything worse for someone 100 percent of the time is very dangerious to people that require drugs for quility of life

Would you tolerate a tweaker working for you and having him serve your customers fried?

Then having stuff missing from your business?

Come on, since I started using daily six months ago, I haven't stolen so much as a paper clip.

OK, no, I took a lot of them and some rubber bands. But these were excess coming in the mail, so I don't think it really counts. Anyway, yeah I was totally fried doing the shift work handling US tax returns, from first buzz to last buzz 60 hours later.

Come on, since I started using daily six months ago, I haven't stolen so much as a paper clip.

OK, no, I took a lot of them and some rubber bands. But these were excess coming in the mail, so I don't think it really counts. Anyway, yeah I was totally fried doing the shift work handling US tax returns, from first buzz to last buzz 60 hours later.

Were the rubberbands talking to you then and did the paperclips turn into police helicopters?

No, they remain rubber bands to this day. The paperclips did get turned into small wires for training some vines though.

The peak times were sixty hour weeks, grouped together, for 120hr twelve days straight; I meant buzz-in. But yeah, I was buzzed that whole time. Just meant many fewer smoke and coffee trips.

Just like alcohol can make you think you should fight a traffic cone, you can get to the helicopters stage on meth, but we like to save it for the weekend too.

Its about the dose. Sure people would abuse the pills - thats why they got illegal - ,but its a different thing to have a powder/crystalline product that people can binge on more easily. In the 40s/50s/60s they were probably not using it in a way a today's stereotype of "tweaker" does. .

I think as crystal meth took over from powder meth and base (dampish glug) it became more addictive an somewhat dangerous for some people. My personal experience using 'speed' (powdered, cut down meth) was not problematic at all, me and many of my close friends used it for nearly 10 years or so in the very early to late 90's. We used to space our use out by having breaks of many weeks, sometimes months to enable us to stay healthy and active. In those early to late 90's times we never saw crystal meth (ice, shards) in Sydney. And we would have seen it if it was around, every rave we went to was a big open air drug market. It was all powder and base meth. Then by the early 00's crystal meth quickly started to replace the powder and base and the speed and base became rare, all any of us could get was ice. At that point I decided I didn't wont to use meth anymore. Some of my friends who hadn't had negative things happen in their lives from their speed or E use started to become full blown ice addicts, smoking it all day and night and some started injecting it. That was when I noticed major negatives happening in their lives.

Some of them started to rip off friends, family and strangers, breaking into houses, not repaying debts, not paying their rent etc and losing their places they lived in or their girl friends. I saw so much bad shit from constant ice use that I hadn't seen with our speed use.

Some of the speed we used to get was really strong too. But the ice turned some of my old mates who I trusted into fuckwits who I didnt trust anymore. It was sad to be around and see them going down hill so fast. I had to leave the city to get away from it all.

I think as crystal meth took over from powder meth and base (dampish glug) it became more addictive an somewhat dangerous for some people...

The same dichotomy can be observed here in Canada. In the east of the country almost all methamphetamine comes in pressed pills of ~30 mg. It is a very popular party drug, even among casual users, and isn't really associated with the kind of harm that crystal methamphetamine is. In the west, however, crystal meth predominates, and there seem to be a lot more users who have serious addictions to it along with a lot more injection use.

ah yeah, I should have mentioned that in the 90's we did get speed pills too, but they were often sold by dealers as ecstasy but our groups of friends all shared information a lot on drugs and batches of speed pills became easy to tell from the MDMA pills.

Back then in the early 90's I dont think there was internet or cell phones from memory so we relied on sharing our information by talking to each other and our experiences to work out what was what lol.

Oh there were beatniks in the 40's taking colossal doses of speed , like Neal Cassidy and jack kerouac