• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

The move

QuE-dAwEiRd1

Bluelighter
I want to start fresh,leave my addict past and struggles behind my.I'm jogging the road to mental recovery and so to speak am getting my old self back.I want to move(not run away)just make a clean start fresh..here's a diverse group of people,any nice places you rekon would be ideal.just get that new feeling,new country,people,job new house empty waiting to be decorated and made a home.idk if this questions even gets asked but maybe one or two people made the move and tell me how their fresh starts turned out.I'm from South Africa Cape Town btw..sorry for the irrelevant question

Changing your places help sometimes, other times it does not.
I have moved over 5 times in the last 3 years and it always finds me.
You need to try and surround yourself with good people.

Agreed, you can't run. It will find you where ever you are, sadly said. New friends, places you hang, etc is the trick , and an awesome support group. Your on the right path, good job.

Not running,I've lIved in a small middle class subUrbs 29yrs(my entire life)my head,heart and body is in a good space.my dream is to visit greece as I am obsessed with the mythology and history,also the swiss alps but that just as a tourist.just want a new fresh chapter me and my family.South Africa has its up and downs but cape town is a beatiful place and I enjoyed it for almost 30 years but feel like a new journey must begin

"wherever you go, that's where you are!". That quote is truly meaningful in this situation. Geography changes are good, but only if you have your recovery on lock. They can be very stressful, and you may end up fairly lonely for a while. These are two situations that could lead to relapse if you are not careful.

Once you have a good strong recovery, a routine, and a support network where you are moving to, I would say do it! Sometimes a change of scenery is pretty good, especially if you are treated differently because you are an addict in the place you are moving from. This also helps with triggers.

Here is a couple rules of thumb for the addict moving.
1.) Ask yourself is it going to better your life, or just make it harder.
2.) Make sure you have contacts that are sober where you are moving to. You can find these online (but be wary, there are many creepers out there).
3.) Make sure you have an action plan together if you are tempted on the road. Sometimes long drives can be stressful, and as addicts we tend to not have the best coping skills.

I actually think that geographical cures can be had if you make lifestyle changes along with the move. If you do move I recommend you line up a counselor before you go who you can start seeing immediately upon arriving. Also moving somewhere that you can participate in hobbies you enjoy. So like moving by itself is unlikely to cure your addiction but moving mixed with other interventions can be a very positive thing

I got sober and moved. Nobody down here knows I'm an addict. I don't have drug associations or habits in this town. My parents still live in my previous town, visiting them is difficult.