• S&T Moderators: VerbalTruist | Skorpio | alasdairm

Technology The Internet Computer: Blockchain Web Applications To Define Web3. This Stock Will Explode.

Joey

Bluelighter
This is super exciting to me, and the push for me to finally get proficient at coding. Check this out. Click the links. Think about it, This is the next big step alongside ARM chips taking the lead.

The Internet Computer is the world's first blockchain that runs at web speed and serves content on the web, with unbounded capacity.

Any money I make to invest going forward, this is on the list for me in tech alongside the South Korean company which manufactures the M1 chip. I'm back into a years long interest coding full swing too. I'm stop and go in actually applying everything I read about on the subject. For this, I'm go.

i always thought a database that anyone could write to but was a pain in the arse to remove from was a bad idea. and then someone made the argument exceptionally easy by putting CP on there

i don't see, from a user perspective, what problems this would solve? i'm sure there are some good ideas in there but from a brief glance it looks like another attempt to apply the blockchain to literally anything, cos its a buzzword right now.

like its the fastest and most scalable blockchain? is speed a limiting factor at present? is scalability proving an issue? am i just showing my complete ignorance in this area? probably.

"Similar to the internet, there is no centralized entity controlling the Internet Computer. It is a truly decentralized public utility governed by the community."

Not sure I understand. How does a community govern an all inclusive virtual machine...? Surely there has to be other governing factors: Who governs who creates subject matter on the platform?
Damn... as soon as I think I have quantum computing figured out here comes some other shit. lol

is there a non- technical, eli5 version of all this?

when reading about what this is, i find myself having to open up a new tab every two seconds to look up all these terms... i'm but a lowly menial labor guy and not a tech guru.

is there a non- technical, eli5 version of all this?

when reading about what this is, i find myself having to open up a new tab every two seconds to look up all these terms... i'm but a lowly menial labor guy and not a tech guru.

TL;DR - it's a new model for distributing content on the web.

tbh i was planning to just ignore this given that there are already similar technologies with broader adoption, like IPFS, but reading up on it now it seems like there is something of value in it.

the traditional model for distributing content on the web is that you have a computer (host) that stores the content, and an address (URL) so people with browsers (i.e. everyone) can easily navigate to your content.

this newfangled "dapps" (distributed applications) model is one in which either the hosting network is distributed, or the addressing network is distributed.

for distributed hosting there are already blockchain-inspired "utility coins", like Sia and STORJ.

for distributed addressing there is IPFS, which gives you an address that people can reach through either an IPFS client or through a normal web browser using a gateway.

the internet computer appears to be taking on both of these tasks, handling hosting and also addressing.

while this is all very interesting, a problem that i see with it is that it provides addressing via regular domain names, which implies there's a registrar (central authority) and that means it may fail to be reliable for common dapps use cases, such as censorship resistance.

Library Genesis is a good example of a web service that depends on censorship resistance to operate, and IPFS is now one of the main methods it uses to distribute content.