• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

The Dangers of Mercury: A Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the Wikipedia entry on the Simpsonwood conference (not the best source, I know), one finds the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Simpsonwood_CDC_conference

Though the preliminary findings that Verstraeten presented at the Simpsonwood conference had seemed to indicate a correlation between mercury-containing vaccines and certain neurological problems, autism was not one of those problems; Verstraeten's Simpsonwood presentation began by discussing autism and concluding the connection between mercury-containing vaccines and autism was "not statistically significant."

The findings in question are available here, for anybody that wants to see them:

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/112/5/1039

If you're going to re-assert that vaccines overstress the immune system, you should at least pretend to address the arguments made in my last post. How does your theory make any sense if today's vaccines contain less immune-activating material than older vaccines, even if there are more individual injections involved? How does it make any sense if the load on the immune system produced by a vaccination is less than that produced by having the common cold? Does the common cold cause autism, too? If not, why?

The bottom line is that autism becomes apparent at around the same age that kids get vaccinated, so people see a link that's just coincidental. People's first episodes of schizophrenia often happen around the time of high school graduation/early college. Does college cause schizophrenia? No, it's a neurodevelopmental problem that happens to show up at that point in development.

As far as symptomatic similarities between autism and mercury exposure, that's not convincing, either. A well-known effect of cannabinoid drugs is catalepsy ("a condition of diminished responsiveness usually characterized by a trancelike state and constantly maintained immobility, often with flexibilitas cerea (a waxy rigidity of muscles"). Stoned rats will just lie there and not move very much. Catalepsy also occurs in Parkinson's disease. Does this mean marijuana causes Parkinson's disease?

Nobody is denying that mercury is bad for you. What's being denied is that mercury contained in small amounts of a vaccine preservative or in dental amalgams causes autism, every other medical problem, and a disrupted flow of your Kundalini energy.

The antivaccination stuff in particular is highly irresponsible. There really are disease outbreaks as a consequence of parents refusing to immunize their children:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/21/us/21vaccine.html

In a highly unusual outbreak of measles here last month, 12 children fell ill; nine of them had not been inoculated against the virus because their parents objected, and the other three were too young to receive vaccines....In the San Diego measles outbreak, four of the cases, including the first one, came from a single charter school, and 17 children stayed home during the outbreak to avoid contracting the illness.

There is substantial evidence that communities with pools of unvaccinated clusters risk infecting a broad community that includes people who have been inoculated.

For instance, in a 2006 mumps outbreak in Iowa that infected 219 people, the majority of those sickened had been vaccinated. In a 2005 measles outbreak in Indiana, there were 34 cases, including six people who had been vaccinated.

Here in California, six pertussis outbreaks infected 24 people in 2007; only 2 of 24 were documented as having been appropriately immunized.

It's wrong for people to discourage vaccination on factually false grounds, it's wrong for parents to listen to these people, and it's wrong for them to put other people's children at risk because they just have an uninformed gut feeling that mercury is bad.

Dimethylmercury ((CH3)2Hg) is a flammable, colorless liquid and one of the strongest known neurotoxins. It is described as having a slightly sweet smell, though inhaling enough vapor to notice this would involve significant exposure to the chemical. It is extremely dangerous, with absorption of doses as low as 0.1 mL being fatal.[1] The high vapor pressure of the liquid means that any spillage will result in dangerous levels of exposure to the vapors for those nearby. The molecule adopts a linear structure.

Dimethylmercury crosses the blood-brain barrier easily, probably due to formation of a complex with cysteine. It is eliminated from the organism very slowly, therefore it has tendency to bioaccumulate. The symptoms of poisoning may be delayed by months, possibly too late for effective treatment.

Dimethylmercury passes through latex, PVC, butyl, and neoprene rapidly (within seconds) and is absorbed through the skin. Therefore, most laboratory gloves do not provide adequate protection from it, and the only safe precaution is to handle dimethylmercury while wearing highly resistant laminated gloves underneath long-cuffed neoprene or other heavy-duty gloves. A long face shield and work under a fume hood are also indicated.[2]

The toxicity of dimethylmercury was highlighted when a well-known chemist, Karen Wetterhahn, died several months after spilling a few drops of this compound on her latex-gloved hand.[

edit:I found the article of how she died in this old mag....guess what I do for work...lab techiiiieeeee...I use to be very carefree around my chems..... this shit scares me

Last edited:
just remember elemental mercury is not that bad, so don't freak out if you break an old thermometer,just ventilate the area well and clean it up asap. Organomercuries(Ethylmercury is what is used in vaccines)) and mercuric salts are bad news....coriander also helps complex out heavy metals, for those of you that don't like miso

Last edited:
2. Limit your intake of large fish--tuna, swordfish, salmon, etc.--to once a month, and don't eat fish in excess of 3x per week. Smaller fish are generally less contaminated, and you can reduce the amount of mercury by not allowing fish to cook in their own juices. Don't eliminate fish from your diet entirely, as they're an important source of healthy EFAs and other nutrients.

I think that the dangers of mercury poisoning are completely overshadowed by the health benefits of eating large amounts of fish. I eat fish every day and tuna pretty much every other day.

This is a list of reasons why most of these concerns about mercury are in tinfoil hat territory.

Dental fillings:

Int J Hyg Environ Health. 2006 Jul;209(4):309-16.
PMID: 16448848

I wouldn't freak out over vaccinations, either.

Clinical Infectious Diseases 2009;48:456–461
PMID: 19128068

There is no evidence whatsoever for a link between thimerosal and autism.

Vague ideas about "too many vaccines at once":

Chelation therapy is...dubious:

Medscape J Med. 2008 May 13;10(5):115.Click here to read
PMID: 18596934

Thank you for doing all the research I was to lazy to do. :)

I dunno man. I don't fucking care about autism or whatever. I just don't want mercury, arsenic, lead or strontium in my body. C'mon now. I think anybody with half a brain knows mercury should be avoided.
Once again, wisdom runs you!

What is biological dentistry?

Biological dentists recognize the impact of toxic materials and relate it to dental and physiological health. These dentists are concerned with the integrity of the oral cavity and use materials and procedures in their practices that are systemically compatible.

Is there a concern about the use of mercury in dentistry?

Many people do not realize the "silver" amalgam fillings are 50% mercury. A large filling may contain as much mercury as a thermometer. Mercury vaporizes easily at room temperature, and in this state, is odorless, colorless and tasteless. Inhaled mercury vapor is readily absorbed into the bloodstream.

The World Health Organization has concluded that dental fillings contribute more mercury to a person's body than all other sources of mercury combined. Mercury is a powerful poison. Published research demonstrates that mercury is more toxic than lead, cadmium or arsenic. No amount of exposure to mercury vapor can be considered harmless. Especially considering its cumulative effect.

Is there an associated health risk?

Mercury is the most toxic, non-radioactive element on the earth. Most medical and scientific researchers have called for a ban on the use of mercury in all products. However, the potential harmful effects of mercury fillings have been ignored by the U.S. Government. Due to its poisonous nature, mercury can adversely affect the immune, urinary, cardiac, respiratory and digestive systems. Under laboratory conditions, mercury has produced brain cell deterioration identical to that seen in victims of Alzheimer's disease.

Should I have my mercury fillings removed?

The IAOMT believes you should (unless you are pregnant or lactating).

Mercury vapor is continuously emitted from dental fillings and accumulates in the body over time. The damaging effects of this exposure may not manifest for years or even decades. Studies repeatedly demonstrate that even low levels of mercury cause measurable adverse health effects. Mercury in the tissues of a fetus or infant correlates significantly with the number of dental amalgam fillings in the mother. Newborns may be at risk for learning disabilities because of mercury their mother absorbed during pregnancy. Many physicians are testing their patients for mercury toxicity and referring them to biological dentists. Across scientific disciplines, health professionals are realizing that mercury may adversely impact patient health.

Should I take supplements prior to mercury filling removal?

Most biological dentists work in conjunction with physicians, who may prescribe supplements prior to the removal of mercury fillings. It is imperative that chronically ill patients seek advice from a physician knowledgeable in mercury toxicity issues.

Is there a proper way to remove mercury fillings?

To prevent additional mercury exposure, find a biological dentist properly trained in mercury filling removal. Patients should inquire about the following amalgam removal protocols:

Utilizing an efficient suction system in the oral cavity with a special tip or its equivalent to contain amalgam particles and mercury vapors.

Operating a vacuum system at maximum efficiency.

Applying copious amounts of water to the filling during removal.

Removing the amalgam in large segments to minimize the generation of mercury vapor and amalgam particulate.

Providing the patient and dental staff with a mercury-free source of air.

Where can I find a dentist trained in these techniques?

The IAOMT is a group of dentists, physicians and researchers involved in peer-reviewed scientific research, education and the promotion of biological dentistry.

The IAOMT encourages the use of biocompatible materials and the development of appropriate protocols to ensure whole-body patient health. The tenets of a good dental practice should be based on peer-reviewed research - not on conventional wisdom. Most importantly, the materials and procedures used in dentistry should not adversely affect the rest of the body.

http://www.iaomt.com/patients/index.asp:)

http://www.noamalgam.com/:\

Last edited:
Actually, many cases of autism can be traced back to a bad viral infection or series of infections, hence the theory that the disorder is triggered by immune stress in some people. Whether the virus is naturally-acquired or injected via vaccination is inconsequential.

And nobody's arguing against vaccination. What we're arguing for is SAFER vaccinations. There is absolutely no reason for a newborn baby to receive vaccinations against Hepatitis B, which is acquired through sexual intercourse and IV drug use. There's no reason why combination shots like the MMR and DPT have to be given all at once instead of separated into single innoculations that are less stressful to a baby's immune system. And there's no reason to continue using thimerosal in vaccinations (or any other product for that matter) when there are safer alternatives.

Autistic children have been shown to have irregularities in immune function similar to people with autoimmune diseases like Lupus, MS, and RA, only the immune cells target the brain instead of the joints, connective tissue, or other organs. Contrary to popular belief, autism is not a "mental illness" or form of mental retardation, it's a complex whole-body illness involving the intestines, immune system, brain and nervous system. For all intents and purposes, autism IS an autoimmune disease, which scientists are slowly starting to figure out. Some parents trace onset of symptoms to a vaccination, while others trace it back to a bad bout of the cold or flu. Others say their child was "born that way".

The point is there are likely many different environmental triggers for autism, just as there are many different degrees of the disorder itself (Asperger's, epileptic-regressive autism, etc.) Autism rates--not counting its "sister disorders" of ADD, Asperger's, Rett's, and PDD-NOS--have increased from 1 in 10,000 people to 1 in 150 in less than 2 decades, which makes it an epidemic by the CDC's standards. And there is no such thing as a "genetic epidemic". There has to be an external trigger that activates the disease, the same as cancer or anything else that's not 100% genetically determined (like cystic fibrosis and other genetic diseases).

When you consider that not only autism, but rates of cancer, autoimmune disease, heart disease, and almost all other non-infectious, chronic conditions have skyrocketed during the 20th century, coupled with the advent of synthetics, chemicals, pollution, and other toxins during that time period, it becomes almost impossible to pinpoint which toxin is the trigger (or if it's a combination of several). An average of 2 new synthetic chemicals are approved for use every single day in this country, none of which undergoes long term testing, much less testing to see how they interact with other existing chemicals. We've created a toxic, corrosive environment for ourselves that we cannot escape. We don't have a choice whether we're exposed to smog when we go for a morning run; whether we want to bathe in fluoridated water, or eat food that's been either genetically modified or sprayed with pesticides (even organic food contains pesticide residue), so why increase our overall body load with things that CAN be avoided? We're the most technologically-advanced civilization in the history of man; is there any reason why we should continue doing something that, at the very least, could POSSIBLY be bad for SOME genetically predisposed individuals?

but rates of cancer, autoimmune disease, heart disease, and almost all other non-infectious, chronic conditions have skyrocketed during the 20th century, coupled with the advent of synthetics, chemicals, pollution, and other toxins during that time period, it becomes almost impossible to pinpoint which toxin is the trigger (or if it's a combination of several).

to omit discussions about the skyrocketing average life expectancy in the 20th century while discussing chronic conditions is intellectually dishonest.

Well, life expectancy might be going up, but if people are getting sicker and sicker during their longer lives, does it really mean they're healthier? The countries with the longest average life expectancies are richer countries with well-developed and or/socialized health care systems. A person can have illnesses treated in a way that extends their life, despite being ill, but does it mean they're healthier? I don't think so. To me a very important measure of health is the prevention of disease as much as the length of a person's life. The highest average life expectancies in the world right now are in North America and Europe, and although some of these countries are on average very healthy, some are well over the roof in terms of certain cancers and heart disease. Canada, England and the United States all have Heart disease as the leading cause of death. Prevention is something of an issue, but the medical system makes it possible for people who haven't taken measures to prevent it to live longer lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.