The Australian Best of the Best - 1999...your opinions please? (everyone welcome!) :)

candyflip

Bluelighter
This is a totally subjective and personal opinion, but here's what I thought....let me know what your opinion is...
Australian Scene 1999 : The Awards
*Best CDs of the year: "Gatecrasher Wet" Various
"Back To Mine" Nic Warren
*Best Movie: "The Matrix".....(but I'm willing to be beaten over the head for suggesting that)....
*Most Boring News Story : Monica and Bill's subsequent possible impeachment trial.........only the American's could possibly care that much about SUCH absolute shit!...
*Hype of The Year : The Internet and e-commerce.....and it will be this year too probably....
*Year's Greatest Sporting Moment : anyone???
*Biggest Worldwide Disappointment : a no-brainer....Y2K.
*Best new Fashion Trend of the year: pedal pushers for girls..... no-shirt for boys
*Worst new Fashion Trend of the year: oh my God, the Poncho is back! (run screaming from the building!)
*Club of the Year : Gatecrasher - UK....there is no other, apparently....
*Island Holiday of the Year : Ibiza, Spain....still....
*New Local Restaurant of the Year : Luxe in St.Kilda...great food, service, reasonably priced and cool surroundings.....
*New Local Club of the Year : Jet Lounge in Melbourne...intimate, gay and straight friendly, welcoming staff and absolutely pumping every Friday night for a good 6 months....
*Drug of the Year : Ketamine.... with all the stuff being lifted from Vet's surgeries, how do they actually knock out real-live horses these days???
*New Drink of the Year : Stoli and Lemon stubbies...what a marketing move!
Your thoughts??
candyflip
------------------
too many freaks, not enough circuses... :cool:

But the majority of these aren't even Australian!!!
Gatecrasher as best club? That's in the UK!!! And anyway, it's not a club. It's a night at a club. It's like saying Plastic or Tweekin is a club.
And how can you not think of any sporting achievements this year? We top the world in cricket, rugby, netball, Davis cup tennis, 2nd in the world in under 17's soccer and you can't think of any sporting achievements? Shame on you
smile.gif

Still, I have to give my vote for:
Best CD - Sonic Animation 'Orchid for the Afterworld'
Best Local Club - Club 77 here in Sydney (for their variety in music styles during the week, their Friday and Saturday nights of funky electro house (Tweekin) and underground progressive house (Bassix), and their mix of very funky (and quite cute) patrons
Drug of the year - I'm sticking with MDMA
And a new category - best new found drug of the year. This was a very close call between G and nitrous but I'm afraid the Johnny gas wins out on this one.
miss apple

Easy Apples....easy girl...
wink.gif

I titled it that so that those reading from around the world would know that SOME of the categories were for Australia (best local club, restaurant etc)...in fact, I was going to title it Melbourne only, but I wanted to hear ALL your thoughts, no matter where someone was from...so these are my thoughts initially, and now I'm sure everyone will add there own purely individual and personal ideas...at least, that's my hope...
smile.gif

Actually, Gatecrasher (in Sheffield) IS the name of the club and they have a number of other different nights they title various things...
Nitrous Oxide eh?...I really got to get to Sydney more often
wink.gif

later
candyflip

Isn't the actual club called The Republic? Where's my trusty mixmag when I need it
smile.gif

Let's leave it at this MisApplication
wink.gif
.... almost nobidy knows this club/night/institution by anything other than the name "Gatecrasher"... and as your trusty Mixmag will no doubt confirm, it's all they're interested in talking about these days (whether we are interested in reading or not).... remember when Ministry of Sound was God?...same hype...
P.S. On the sporting front, its precisely BECAUSE of the ridiculous success we had all year that I couldn't choose between all the cups and ribbons we now hold...but if forced, the Bledisloe...
later
smile.gif

------------------
too many freaks, not enough circuses... :cool:

Best of the year 1999? ok...heres my opinion
Best movie = matrix
best album = pleiadeans- Family of light
Best rave = Time tunnel (brisbane)
Best e = Y2k
Best thing i did in 1999 = ditch the dickhead and get some taste!
best of the best = the new pics from the hubble of course!
Andromeda
smile.gif

------------------
***This starship breaks for black holes and temporal disunities.***

Actually the club is Gatecrasher@The Republic, and the other one is Move@MinistryOfSound. So they both word it diffently.
Just like BuggedOut@Nation or Cream@Nation or Bedrock@Heaven.

Hi there,
Best CD: Definatley has to be WET
Best movie: American Pie - well I liked it.
Biggest Hype: What wasn't blown out of proportion this year??
Sporting moment: I didn't play any
frown.gif

Biggest disappointment: NYE (for me)
Worst fashion trend: I don't think I bought many new clothes, they all sucked. Royals, 3/4 pants, pants for people without asses (I mean skinny guys with stick legs and no butts), cargo pants (maybe 3 years ago they were cool) I dunno, perhaps I have just seen too many people wearing these clothes.
Best Party: Gatecrasher@HOME in Sydney, easily the night of my life

Hi there,
Best CD: Definatley has to be WET
Best movie: American Pie - well I liked it.
Biggest Hype: What wasn't blown out of proportion this year??
Sporting moment: I didn't play any
frown.gif

Biggest disappointment: NYE (for me)
Worst fashion trend: I don't think I bought many new clothes, they all sucked. Royals, 3/4 pants, pants for people without asses (I mean skinny guys with stick legs and no butts), cargo pants (maybe 3 years ago they were cool) I dunno, perhaps I have just seen too many people wearing these clothes.
Best Party: Gatecrasher@HOME in Sydney, easily the night of my life.
Best Resturant: No Names @ bondi
Drug of the year: X has been good to me this year, so it has to win. Adrenalin for the natural rush, always good fun.
Drink of the year: Water - I love the stuff

My drug of the year award is without hesitation going to GHB!!! Miss Apple introduced me to its delights, and I am SO shitty that a) we've run out b) we can't get any more c) even its poorer cousins, Renewtrient, Wellbutrin etc are soon to be outlawed!!!!!!!!!!!! GGGGGGRRRRRRR!!! That stuff is phenomenal, and the 21st century shall be much poorer for its absence.
Most boring news story goes to the John Laws/Alan Jones saga. No-one outside the media gave a toss!! Unfortunately for me I come from the media family from hell, so I had to sit through five billion conversations about it. And cos I'm in the media (kinda), I was expected to have an opinion. Yaaaaaaaawn!!! And this will continue, with Lawsy up for contempt of court, and the final ABA verdict both coming in the next few months. Great.
Ahem, pedal pushers, in their strictest sense of their being tight little badly-made, arse grabbing, knee-skimming monstrosities, were NOT a good look. Almost everyone looks bad in them. The looser, cargoey types were very welcome though. Head scarves were also terrible last year (anyone still wearing them - STOP!!) They made everyone look like Chechnyan peasants, and they were never long enough, so they flapped on top of the head like a snotty hankie.
Worst fashion horror to take us into the millennium?? Yeah, ponchos are high on the list, but Tom Ford at Gucci is trying to bring back the MULLET as some form of anti-fashion fashion statement. Shudder. And I hope the tedious Fendi baguette has finally died a natural death. What a stupid, stupid bag.
What IS good this year however, is ponyskin. Best done minimally - on a belt, or bag or pair of kitten heels. Although if you want to go crazy, Belinda has a beautiful jacket by Marc Jacobs - if you can spare the 3 grand. I recommend faux, also, wearing dead horses is a bit gross.
OK, enough of my fashion ramblings.
Cat
[This message has been edited by Pillcat (edited 21 January 2000).]

Pillcat, I keep telling you - start up that consulting business. Look at all the advice you've just given away as a good deed, when you could have made money from it!
wink.gif

I'll even be your first customer! Although, you're sacked if you make me wear ponyskin (faux or not!). Hehehe.
smile.gif

Cheers,
Ben.
------------------
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music"
- Aldous Huxley