• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Treatment That magic moment

When did it happen for you?

Why did it happen for you?

I've quit many addictions but it seems like it was always to move on to the next addiction. So for those of you with some serious time between now and your last dose, how? What made you go over the edge and make that drastic change?

Was just on the brink of kicking my 10 yr heroin addiction.. was just sick and tired of being sick and tired all the fucking time... tired of being a scumbag and a slave to the drug..... found out my gf was pregnant which she was told highly unlikely to ever happen.. been sober ever since my daughter was born over 3 yrs ago now.... Finally gone are all the heroin dreams that took about 2 yrs to go away.. I don't miss it one bit!.. I have money in the bank.. a family... and real friends again.

Kind of funny looking back now but I remember they had a weekly NFL pool going on in jail and I wound up winning week 3. Up until that point I didn't really have any way of getting anything extra in jail because my family wasn't putting any money on my books so when I won the pool I got like 4 honey buns, 10 ramen noodle packs, and a couple squeeze cheeses (this stuff is much more valuable in jail then it sounds on its own) and I was like "aw man this is sick!". Especially since I had to give up a lunch tray just to get in the pool, since I didn't have anything to enter with in the first place

But I had found out earlier that day that I was getting out in less than 2 weeks (only was there 2 months) so I kind of felt bad for people would would be there for a while longer.

Wound up just giving most of the stuff away to people who had looked out for me previously whether it was a shot of coffee or just a friendly face or w/e

And being able to look out for people felt a lot better than any of those Honey Buns ever tasted.

I should add that I still had every intention of getting high when I was in jail, but then a combination of things from leaving until now made me decide to just stay clean

There is very rarely solitary moments that make people give up drug addictions. Just a bunch of moments along the way that collectively remind you each time you think about going back to it.

The NFL pool was just one that stood out more than others to me

Im with TPD you're a good dude!!!! and i agree it is usually multiple moments that add up that make you stop it was that way for me too, i still keep them collective moments in my mind.

Last edited:
I couldn't find hope until all false hope was exhausted and in that hopeless state I sought help from others for the first time in a very long time. ... I had no expectation. I was faced with a seemingly hopeless dilemma: keep doing what was no longer working or try living life a completely different way.

That is an incredibly powerful statement.<3

For me, there wasn't so much a single moment that turned things around. Rather, the liabilities of staying addicted started to get intolerable. Eventually it really was a matter of asking: do I want to throw my whole life away or am I ready to put everything I can into getting better?

But if I were going to pick a single, magic moment, this would be it...

At my urging, the doctor at my outpatient rehab prescribed oral naltrexone to me. I felt like this might really help me. BUT, before you can initiate naltrexone, you need to metabolize all the dope in your system, otherwise, starting the meds will throw you into precipitated WDs. After getting the Rx, I simply couldn't string together enough time to clean my system out. It was exactly as others have described--I felt completely unable to stop. Eventually I got so desperate that I went ahead and started the naltrexone with less than 24 hrs since my last dose. The pWDs hit me like a freight train within 20 minutes of taking the pill. I was horrifyingly sick, with a giant emphasis on the psychological angle of being dopesick--it felt like the world was ending. A grey pall came down like a curtain and the world looked bleak and flat.

The entire experience of that kick was horrible. But the first hour or so after taking that naltrexone pill--that would be my magic moment.

Who knows where things will go with my recovery? But I sure as hell hope I never have to get in that bad a way again.

Can I ask you for clarification? Dealing with chronic, debilitating pain , I've heard of LDN (low dose) and an aware you need to be clean to begin unless you want pwd's.

You said after an hour was that magic moment for you.

I'm asking, did the wds only last an hour or so? Then stop? I'm sure I'm hoping against hope Lmaobut figured I'd ask. Or are you saying being forced to go through it was the turning point ? Or that you got your mind right even though you were in agony ? Etc.

Or did you have to go through the whole deal, full, days long withdrawal?

Thank you
Peace

Abetterway, to answer your question: unfortunately, I went through the full course of acute opioid withdrawal. The naltrexone's effect was mainly to bring the symptoms on very fast and (I think) to make them worse, at least in the beginning, than my kicks usually are.

I brought up that first hour because it was during that time, lying on my couch and freaking the fuck out, that the world seemed farthest away.

The next 7 days or so completely sucked too. But the desperation of wanting to get onto the naltrexone, coupled by the intense onset of the detox was new to me.