• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Telling apart anxiolytic and sedative effects.

boti420

Bluelighter
Ok so I'm quite familiar with the classic effects of benzis. Sedation, Hypnotic, Anti-anxiety, anti-seisure, and muscle relaxant. Thing is as I've been reading thru all this forums discussing RC Benzos on how one may be a strong sedative while another a strong Hypnotic I've realized that I don't really have a very clear well defined definition of each of these effects and I'm sure many of you dont either. Therefore while I may describe a benzo as strongly sedative someone trying to describe the exact same effect may call it hypnotic.

So can anyone clear define and delineate the exact meanings of these terms and what exactly would be the difference between them so not just me but anyone else that isn't sure can be more consistent when talking about the benzo effects.

For example is the only difference between a sedative and a hypnotic the fact whether you're able to stay awake making it a sedative but if you fall asleep its hypnotic?

Another one I'm not really clear on is the difference between anti anxiety and sedative. I have somewhat of an understanding of it in that an anti-anxiety effect will calm your anxiety yet you remain wide awake. You can take it in the morning even and be just fine all day. On the other hand I consider a sedative to be identical to an anti-anxiety effect with the addition of Sedation. A hypnotic would be a sedative (and hence also anti-anxiety) but with the Sedation intensified to where it nakes you sleep/y.

Basically I'm asking does it go Hypnotic (has sedative and anti-anxiety effect), but if the Sedation is less intense to where you're not falling asleep its considered a Sedative (that of course has anti-anxiety effects). Finally if you turn the Sedation way down to the level where it's just enough to calm your anxiety but not make you tired and still be capable of functioning fukly awake all day then thats considered an anti-anxiety effect?

That's the way I understand it, i haven't mentioned the muscle relaxation or anti-seisure effects but they would be there too as an effect of Sedation. So I don't understand how a benzo can be considered strongly Sedative without anti-anxiety effects.

I may have wrote more than necessary, anyways can anyone set the record straight for me on these effects?

I think it's more nuanced terminology to describe the slightly different effect profiles GABA and Z drugs have. I'm not privy to the differences because I don't dabble too much in those kinds of drugs. I like my opiates, with the overwhelming, bright, obvious sunshine euphoria.

Here's what the terms mean to me. Muscle relaxing is a term meaning a body high that isn't necessarily painkilling but gives your body the feeling of laying in cozy bedding next to a fireplace. Hypnotic refers to the extremely subtle, somewhat psychedelic state of mind some z drugs and benzos can produce. Sedative is obviously something that makes you sleepy, and anxiolytic is obviously removing of inhibitions.

Just realized how romanticized this may sound, so... drugs are bad kids, go learn an instrument instead

A sedative drug to me is any chemical that depresses the central nervous system (pregabalin, alprazolam). A hypnotic is any chemical used to iniate or maintain sleep (zolpidem, eszopiclone). Anti-anxiety or anxiolytics simply reduce anxiety (buspirone, escitalopram). For example, a chemical such as alprazolam (Xanax) is a sedative in that is depresses the CNS, anxiolytic as it reduces anxiety, and is sometimes used off-label to induce sleep.