• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Taper advice off oxycodone please ??

Cbk1013

Bluelighter
Been on 40-60mg daily for 6 months now and need advice on coming off? taper down or just jump? think I know what I have to do but advice is always appreciated. thx you
Prior history have been on and off oxycodone at similar levels(couple days here and there 80-100mg but very rare) for the last 3 years now and prior to that had 5 years clean time and prior to that I was on Suboxone for 6 years with a daily dose of 6mg
and just jumped cold turkey(absolute hell but I did it and stayed clean for 5 years white knuckling I guess you could say) meetings never stuck for me.... and now at the age of 49 I'm in the same spot again dealing with an addiction..Not fun!

Last edited:
not a lot of experience I see in these forums...when I get done I'll post what worked for me and what didn't and hopefully be some help to someone who is in my spot now and wanted some feedback...Godbls

hey good luck with your taper.

i would taper instead of jumping off. its really dependent on whether you physically actually can taper though. i never had the willpower, cos if you're tapering it usually means you have lots of your DOC to hand which for me would correspond to an increase in dose. if you have someone who can look after your drugs that might help.

if meetings never stuck for you (i'm guessing NA?) then find a different support group. you absolutely will benefit from help from like minded people irl if you can find a group that you gel with. remember you don't need to agree with everything they say, its more about finding understanding and a place to be honest. it is possible to be clean and not white knuckling but you're unlikely to work out how on your own.

i haven't been on oxy but i was addicted to heroin for a long time so know opiate withdrawal. do you have access to sleeping pills, like zopiclone? a lot of people use things like gapapentin to help too. you can use loratadine but i found that anything opiate wise, once you jumped off, would just draw out the withdrawal. hopefully if you can do a reasonable taper it won't be too bad when you jump off.

do the best you can to look after your physical and mental health, eat well, sleep well, exercise, meditate. i know everyone says it, but that's cos it helps!!

I mean im not sure where everyone is (suppose to be a support forum????) but this really is a peanut dose never the less still hard as fuck to quit and hearing other people's stories can make the difference sometimes or gaining wisdom from others experiences... Lets gooooo people let the healing begin! Love ya

Everyone is different. For me, jumping just dosen't work.
Maybe 5 mg's every four days? The trick is to start slowly. If you taper too much too quick you're going to feel like crap while your mind will also tell you "this sucks" and the mental mind screw will be worse than the physical symptoms.

If you have the willpower, and enough pills, than going by 25% or so every week would be much easier on the body/mind when you stop it altogether. One of my easiest kicks (there were several kicks of oxycodone and than more other opioids kicks to) was when I was on 100mg of oxycodone daily and tapered down to 20mg.

The process, from ~100mg daily (+/- 20mg on odd days) was going down every 7-10 days, in increments -> 80mg, 60mg, 40mg, 30mg, 20mg, STOP.

It wasn't pain free, as it never is but it was manageable and I was functional the whole taper period. When I stopped I had to take a week for myself only, but it wasn't nowhere near as bad as previous jumps from 60-80mg of oxycodone or 100-150mg morphine (all oral, all legit pills, Oxycontin and Ms Contin).

But as I said for tapering you need enough pills and have strong will. Because if you have pills when minor withdrawals between drops start you will be very tempted. It is a big difference between being high and being in withdrawal, even if it is minor.

You can not though escape the withdrawal because that is simply the way your body is adapting to lower levels of "opioid tone". You will have to stress your body similarly how you stress it to grow muscles, just in a sort of opposite way. But with all that said it us much better overall if you can taper than just jump.

And I don't think 40-60mg of oxycodone is "a peanut dose". You have history so you know it can be worse (I also had "the pleasure" of going through buprenorphine withdrawal after 3 years on it), and you can use that to your advantage, but 50mg of oxycodone can be rough to come off. Even for somebody who is younger and is kicking for the first time.

As you have done it before you know you can do it. I wish you all the luck! Take care and keep us informed. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
currently dosing 20mg orally every 12 hours and dropping to 20mg in the AM and 10mg in the eve.....changed my ROA to start the taper as well.....worst case I get some relief every 12 hours but feel like im gonna break through soon and just jump....appreciate the feedback above...very cool

just took my 20mg dose(orally) about 2 hours ago and it took 1 hour and 45 minutes to get any relief.....my morning dose hit me in 20 minutes.... have little experience with oral ROA...any advice ? is this normal?
10mg instant release oxycodone pink pills

everyone is so busy using they don't have time to reply or offer any insight...guys guys guys---put down the pipe for a minute and help a fellow addict out...unreal

Oral IR oxycodone takes 45-60 minutes to take real effects. If you only feel the strongest (peak) effects due to your tolerance being to high than it would made sense that only when oxycodone peaked you got real relief. But it should last longer than if your ROA was insuflation. You have to adjust to lower doses. As your blood levels of oxycodone are dropping you will experience withdrawal. There is no other way around it. You can minimise the discomfort by tapering very gradually and slowly, but you will have to go through some kind of withdrawal. I hope you get better son!

Sorry for the late reply but there is just so much minutes I can have daily. You can also use search function of the forum as many people in the past had similar problem to yours. Many good advices can be found in the threads that were written in the past. I will try to keep up with you and give answers. To me it seems that your reduction is bigger than 50% and that is asking for withdrawal symptoms. I am not saying that it is "wrong" as that way you will suffer more but it will be shorter. It is not the way I would go about with my taper but it is also not me who is suffering through this withdrawal.

I hope it gets better soon. You should feel better 3-4 days after each drop. Please keep us posted and I will respond. Just tag me with @Psycho_Logic and I will be notified that somebody is referring directly to me and will respond as soon as I see it.

Hang in there. If you stabilise on 30mg of oxycodone daily than you have won one third, or even maybe half, of your fight. Keep pushing! Slow it down if it is unbearable but don't go up in the doses if you can. You will feel relief soon. You can do it. You already did it before.

thx you...I know a lot myself through experience but you just validated some of my thoughts...thx you very much

I know that it can be frustrating when you need advice/support ASAP, so in the future much more efficient way is to tag somebody you saw responding (or talking about similar issues in another thread) as that will generally bring much faster response. The process of tagging is with @ followed by user name. So @Cbk1013 I wish you smoother sailing. :)

You can also use search function of the forum as many people in the past had similar problem to yours. Many good advices can be found in the threads that were written in the past.
agreed. i do get that it is nicer to get something personal to you, but don't forget to search. if you want more replies it helps to build a rapport with other posters in their threads as they will be more invested in your recovery.

thanks @Psycho_Logic for offering your help. never used oxy so can't help myself and have already given him some tips about the work he needs to put in, as stopping using is just the first step.

I mean im sure you know what to do. Get comfort meds if possible, of benzos are very addicting so safer not to use benzos, gabapentin works well for day and night, diphenhydramine, melatonin, zanaflex etc help you sleep.
If you got a few days off work then try just jumping off until you're so desperate and then taper as slowly as possible. Take as long as possible between doses.
If you're able to get morphine I find it's a lot easier to taper with morphine then oxy. I can't control myself with a stash of oxy but that's me.

my original taper failed and I went back up to 50mg a day and now Ive tapered back down pretty quick here and have take 10mg a day for the last 5 days....Really struggle mentally but I will avoid getting physically sick for sure>>> Any advice from here? Just jump now correct? And meetings have never really worked for me>>> Can I do this on my own or should I go to rehab?