• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Taking xanax with methadone

Edaw'Naflagn

Bluelighter
Well I've been taking xanax for about 4 years now and have been doing opiates for about 2-3 years straight. I have no problem normally taking 1-2mg's+ of xanax or 15-30mg's+ of temazepam with hydrocodone or OxyContin and not have any insane effects or problems; but, I've never taken methadone before and have 3 10mg tablets at the moment and will need them for WD in about 6-8 hours from now. Should I be alright taking xanax 1-2mg's/15-30mg's of temazepam and let's say 5-10mg's of methadone? I forgot to toss in I've been taking 15-30mg's of temazepam every night for about a year now as well as my 1-2mg's+ of xanax. I feel like I'll be fine but I want some people to let me know what I should do or if I should wake up and take my xanax many hours before methadone or take my xanax now and or switch it with temazepam (due to it's half-life so I don't have benzo WD but still be safe taking the methadone) & take that now or a bit later? I know methadone takes 30mins to 2 hours to take effects and it can take even longer and I'm more concerned about have benzo WD than opiate WD so I wouldn't mind taking 5mgs or less of methadone to play it safe. Please respond if you have taken methadone with any benzo and have a similar tolerance to me so I can tell how much of both I'll need to take to prevent OD. I've shot up about 160+mg's of morphine yesterday and about 2 hours ago and I'm about to shoot up 30mg's again after I'm done typing this and I'm not nodding or super high at all and have been taking up to 260mg's of OxyContin for about a month and a half now and have been having horrible WD from it and that's why I've been IVing morphine for about 2 days now just to kill off the WD and catch a small buzz which is barely visible but still felt.

Last edited:
SHit man, I was about to say I watched my cousin take 2mg's of xanax and 20mgs of methadone and she got sick as fuk , covered in sweat, puking... acting like an asshole but IMHO, i would be way more worried about the mixture of all the morph your banging and the the methadone than i would ever worry about a couple MG's of xanax and methadone.

Do you have someone around that can keep an eye on you incase shit goes south and you need transpo to a hospital? PLEASE be really fucking careful!!

Several years ago I took 4mg of xanax, 14mgs of norco and 10 mg;s of methadone anticipating the time of my life and never really felt shit... I too hv been on xanax for over a decade so taking them just keeps me from getting sick... Im not a doctor, just n idiot but id say you got way more to worry about with the morph banging mixed with methadone than you ever would with mixing the xanax and methadone. I hope someone is with you and also someone who knows their shit can chime in on this for you before you hurt yourself. Be careful my friend!

I am daily on 60 mg Methadone, 0,5 mg Clonazepam and 5 mg Etizolam and I am fine. That being said, I was taking methadone for a couple of months before I added more than the 0,5 mg Clonazepam. Methadone should be worse to mix with benzo's than that opiats and opioids (unless heroin ofc). So you have to be very careful with this particular mix.

How many mg's of hydrocodone and oxycodone have you normally taken with your benzo's?
30 mg of Temazepam is a quite high dose. I would feel safer if you could make it with only 1 mg of Xanx og 10-15 mg of Temazepam. But we need to know your tolerance to oxycodone and hydrocodone before we can say anything.

Again, methadone is more dangerous to mix with benzo's than most other opioids.

I can take up to 250+ mg's of OxyContin (yes the brand name OP's I normally take 30/60's) and a load of hydro. I don't have a for sure amount of hydro but it is far more than the oxy. I have a good tolerance but not too bad, & no I'm not banging any morphine with my methadone that's the reason I have methadone so when I run out of morphine (which I did) I can use the methadone to prevent WD. I would never mix many opiates or opioids with methadone AND add benzo's that would just be stupid; & yes I have 2-3 people who watch me when I shoot up and when I'm buzzing or nodding to make sure I don't fall into a deep sleep and don't wake up. Trust me these people have been helping me and watching over me for years now and know how/what to do with me if I OD or have some form of a seizure/other problem caused by drugs. Would you think just 1-2mg's a few hours before the methadone and just 5mgs of methadone for all day? I won't redose with any opiate or opioid but I will or will not redose with my benzo's but that's rare- only if I have a seizure or aniexty attack/WDing like I normally am when I wake up [I mean I'm WDing, not having any form of seizure or an aniexty attack in the mornings]. Also while I'm on or was on my oxy/hydro (yes id mix up to 200-250+ of oxy with around 8-12 5mg norco's if I wasn't feeling buzzed enough) I would take my normal 1-2mg+ dose and 30-60mg's of temazepam. So I would be doing a lot of benzo's with a large amount of opiates and I last did this mix yesterday and just a few hours ago as well but with IVed morphine instead of my normal oral oxy/hydro due to me running out of both and only having 8 30mg morphine pills IR that I break down and filter then refilter and shoot up. I've shot up all 8 in about maybe 12 hours now, not all at once but through out the night and this morning.[used 2mg's of Xanax once with 100-160+ mg's of IVed morphine through out a 12 hour time period].

Last edited:
The answer is simple. When experimenting with new substances or combinations especially combinations of CNS depressants, start slow and low. A lot of what makes Methadone so dangerous is its difference in onset/duration from most of the other common Opioids. The 4 hour mark is generally when maximum effect is noticed by most users inluding myself. If I were you, I would recommend waiting 2 hours post Methadone dose and then taking maybe 1mg of Alprazolam (Xanax). Wait an hour and see how you feel. I see you have some kind of tolerance to Benzodiazepines, so if you're not quite where you're at around the 4 hour mark, consider taking another Mg of Alprazolam.

Thank you so much man! :) makes me feel much more safe now when taking both. I got my hands on some dillies so I'll be using those IVed till I run low and if I can't find or get any of my other scripts again I'll use the methadone and I'll have a bit more of an opiate tolerance so I'll feel even better about taking it after I'm done with the dillies and if I don't get any other opiates till much later on in this month I'll take the methadone like I said along side with my normal or a few mg's less of my xanax. This is a for sure lift off my shoulders and I thank you very, very much! :)

++++ to Keif' Richards.

When I first got prescripted my methdona I was taking 10 mg of Clonazepam I think. The first day I my mehadone I did not take any Cklonazepam. The second day I day not take either, On the third day I started experience reactions from my body that sometimes if the warnings signs of an upcoming epilectic seizure, so I took 2 mg of Clonazepam. After than I slowly worked my way up to the full dosage of benzo without problems. Today I am all the way down to taking only 0,5 mg Klonopin each day :)