View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Taking LSD while on Lithium - is there a risk of getting seizures? Please help

What Are Trees

Greenlighter
So I've taken LSD twice now, but I've read in some forums that some people have had seizures when taking acid and Lithium at the same time. I've been on 800mg of Lithium for 4 years, and am planning on doing acid again this weekend. As well as reading that some people have had seizures when doing this, apparently there's also been one incident of death with Lithium and acid. (Although some people said they had no problem when taking acid on Lithium)

I really want to do acid again this weekend despite the apparent risk (anyone who's done acid will understand ;) ), I was thinking either 300 micrograms or 450 micrograms. However I'm concerned about what I've read... The other 2 times I did it though I was on Lithium and nothing bad happened.

I'm wondering if I don't take the Lithium the night before, and also don't take it on the night, then does this mean there's no risk of the Lithium interacting with the LSD (no risk of seizures)? I'm guessing that when someone had a seizure they probably took the Lithium on the same night as the acid...
If anyone has any knowledge / advice / thoughts on this, I'd really appreciate it! :) So basically, trying to find out: if not taking Lithium for 2 nights before doing acid (I'd take the acid around 4am) means I won't get seizures from them both interacting? Thanks for your help!

I would say that there is a very high risk, compared to without lithium where the risk is almost zero. It's not just LSD either.... Lithium is known to cause seizures when mixed with several different psychedelics.

Lithium levels build up over time, so just not dosing on the same day may not make a big impact. I would say you're playing with fire... and given that people seem to have different thresholds for getting negative effects from mixing lithium and psychedelics, no one can really tell you what will or won't change your risk, especially since this interaction is still not well understood.

Do what you want, but I personally do not think that LSD is worth a seizure risk, and I say that despite the fact that it's one of my favorite drugs.

I have been on 300 mg of lithium for the past 3-4 weeks, just bumped up to 600 mg. I am not diagnosed with bipolar disorder, nor do I attain any bipolar disorder traits, but I do have depression and my psychiatrist is using lithium as a "helper drug" or what not to my Zoloft. I am planning on dropping acid for the second time this Saturday, it's Thursday. I stopped taking my lithium on Tuesday in preparation for my trip. reading all this stuff online about the risks of seizures, though, is making me wonder if 4 days is enough time to get the lithium out of my system. considering I've only been taking it for a short period of time and at a small dose, and I am 20 years of age and 115 pounds I have a feeling I will be okay. but I thought I'd come to this thread in hope of some other opinions? (btw I already know SSRI's like Zoloft hold some potential for altering your trip as well, but the first time I took acid (August) I was already on the Zoloft and did not experience anything near a bad trip.) please someone give me your opinion! thanks :)

Lithium + LSD carries a high risk of seizures. You absolutely should not be taking LSD on lithium, it's very dangerous.

SSRIs will either reduce your ability to trip or alter it... lithium will likely cause you to have a seizure. Seriously, don't mess around with that combo. Sucks, probably not what you want to hear, but it's the truth. Lithium is not an SSRI, it's a completely different thing.

A trip definitely isn't worth the risk of having a seizure.

I never understood people who want to trip, while under going threatment with psychotropics for mental health issues. I do understand a wish for using psychedelics as a kind of Self-medication, to cure one self. But imo you guys are playing with fire, and you might as well end up getting badly burned.

Get your life and mind sorted, get off the medication - and then you can trip. I'm not saying psychedelics can't be terapeutic and healing, of cause they can, but not like this.

Agreed, absolutely never combine them. But also don't go off your script unless the reason is you don't need it anymore. Just concede that it doesn't go together. If not, you have only yourself to thank if you go off of your mood stabilizer just to trip and the trip kicks you into a manic or depressive episode.

I almost didn't trip at all for a few years, I really didn't like that but my mental state just wasn't right for it and I'm not even bipolar or take that kind of meds. There really shouldn't be that kind of hurry. Look after yourself and don't push anything you can't afford the consequences of.

If you had a bad ankle would you want to run a marathon?

If you need lithium as a "helper" then to me it says you are not mentally fit enough to trip on LSD. That's not saying people don't enjoy themselves without harm, it's only suggesting that the risks are higher.

By the way the half life of lithium is 18-36 hours so it wouldn't be gone from your body after that, it would reduce the risk but still not be safe, you'd need multiple half life periods passing and like I said before that seems too irresponsible.

However I do not think that we are qualified to say who is or who isn't mentally fit to trip - on medications people can be fit and people not on medications can be very unfit. It's not a good sign though so I guess I agree that again - the risks are higher and it's a really bad plan.

The times you or someone else get away with taking LSD and lithium do not say anything about it being safe enough, just that it doesn't kill or seize you up 100% of the time. But there is plenty of things that don't kill or hurt you the full 100% of the time that you should still never do.
Also, acid can run out of control much more easily on lithium even if you don't get a seizure.

And last but not least, 300 or 400~ ug is a high dose, making matters (i.e. risks) worse in every respect. I have done acid but I don't understand. When people really want something and have their minds set on it they tend to be in denial about the bad case scenario. If bad things come to pass they tend to demonize it as if it universally happens to everyone. That's all skewed perspective. Don't fool yourself into doing something you can also postpone, when your health is not something to take for granted.

Last edited:
Well a quick survey of my employees (two GP's and one who works a side gig as an ER psych) and the all advise against LSD and lithium.

Just curious, what do they think about LSD on its own? Or lithium discontinuation? Or LSD in bipolar people if you're asking anyway?
(humble request isnt it)