• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Synergestic neurotoxicity from MDMA+Amphetamines

lenses

Bluelighter
Would the addition of amphetamine in "dirty" pills make the MDMA more neurotoxic as a cumulative effect of their actions?

I know methamphetamine is much more neurotoxic than MDMA to serotonin and people generally report feeling better the days afterwards on clean pills.

lenses said:
Would the addition of amphetamine in "dirty" pills make the MDMA more neurotoxic as a cumulative effect of their actions?

I know methamphetamine is much more neurotoxic than MDMA to serotonin and people generally report feeling better the days afterwards on clean pills.

methamphetamine is more neurotoxic to dopaminergic neurons than MDMA,

as for amphetamines and MDMA having a synergistic effect, then the answer is yes...probably, the mixing of amphetamine with the nonneurotoxic serotonin releaser MDAI caused neurotoxicity, so clearly adding a dopamine norepinephrine releaser to a serotonin releaser causes neurotoxicity where there wouldn't have been any with the serotonin releaser alone. MDMA alone can cause neurotoxicity at high doses, it is probably the case that adding amphetamine or methamphetamine which cause the releasing of more dopamine increase the potential for neurotoxicity.
This is all based on animal studies, at normal recreational doses MDMA hasn't been shown to cause neurotoxicity in humans.
The crash after MDMA is not a sign of neurotoxicity, it simply appears to be related to serotonin depletion. The neurons are not damaged permanently and serotonin levels rapidly recover.

I would like to say that MDMA does show sign of toxicities in small doses.

I agree, there are clear signs of toxicity in small recreational doses. It is just unclear if it has any cognitive impairment at this level or if it is permanent.

Yes you are absolutely correct fastandbulbous, I just fucked up and took the shortcut instead of typing out neurotoxicity (wrongly assuming most people would know that is what I was refering to). It is both cardiotoxic and neurotoxic at recreational doses. But if you could clarify, what do you mean by it having no neural damage if it is in fact neurotoxic (which seems fairly clear as of 2006)? I thought the two went hand in hand.