• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Switchng from IV oxycodone to oxymorphone?

ninePM

Greenlighter
I'm currently IV'ing oxycodone and take oral Morphine ER for medicinal purposes. I started this because I thought I would get a buzz as well as cure my post op back pain. I never really got a buzz off it but I'm a huge fan of instant pain relief. So after one year of being on the two drugs my doctor switched me from oxycodone 15mg 4Xday to 10mg oxymorphone (Opana) 10mg 3Xday. I IV using room temp sterile 0.9 % saline solution. Never understood why people use tap water. I realize that IV oxymorph is going to be a bigger jump then say oral vs IV oxycodone. So my question is how big? I don't get the rx filled until next week, but has anyone tried the two? I was thinking IV 2.5mg or 1/4 of a pill to start but is that even too large a dose? Believe it or not the goal is fast pain relief, but if it gives me a buzz thats a bonus. I have IV hydromorphone and that was both good for pain and fun, but that was before I had a tolerance. Basically I dont want to OD because the difference was 10X instead of 2X, like IV morphine; 1.5mg IV is a huge dose but 30mg oral is nothing.

No need to use saline solution, just use sterile water, or any clean room temp water will do.. I have never used saline solution and have slammed just about every slammable opioid there is for years, currently slam subutex instead of full agonists though now... But imo as an IV drug user who has slammed both oxycodone(many times!) and oxymorphone its like this... I think IME at least oxycodone feels about 1/4 as strong as oxymorphone, when done IV. I would usually do about 60-80mg shots of oxycodone, numerous times a day.. like I was doing over 300mg a day.. With opana I would do roughly 10-20mg IV and be faded, and have so much more euphoria and analgesia, than I did with oxycodone if I was experiencing any pain that day especially it would not only feel incredible, compared to oxy but would just take away any sign of pain. That is my experience though.. oxymorphone is probably the next strongest pharmaceutical opioid these days, next to fentanyl of course, so I would do about a quarter of your normal dose of IV oxycodone with the oxymorphone... It is definitely better to use a micron filter as kleinerkiffer stated above me, but not entirely necessary, I have never used one before, which I know, is bad! but I have no easy way of obtaining them, and am a diehard IV user, so I just use the next best thing, as many tightly rolled q-tip cottons to make the solution as clear as possible.. So yeah, you will most definitely like the opana better if your anything like me... oxycodone is much weaker... its not even close to the amount of a rush, euphoria, and pain relief you will get from opana! I envy you, only for the fact of the opana, not the pain you are in, that sucks...but it wont be as bad with the oxymorphone..

I would LOOOOOVE to have a script of opana!!! that is like the platinum of opioids IMO.:|Is your face after a shot of opana.. but please be careful, it is very strong! No joke! start as small as you feel is right for you, and find your right dose. work your way up or you might find the small initial testing dose to be fine! Also I find it to last longer than an equipotent dose of oxycodone too.. Just be safe! And enjoy those little bundles of bliss, in a pill! _drooling now_ haven't done opana in years, its so rare here where I live..

Last edited:
Yea, I take OxyMorphone and have for the past 5 years or so. I don't IV anything, so I'll just put that out there from the git. I will say that if you have eyes on doing so, if you get the brand name version, you'll have one tough time doing so since those pills are a lot like the OP OxyContins. Kind of like plastic, yum yum! If you do have any influence on matters, you'll definitely want the generics. Those can be crushed and use your imagination from there. And yes they are pretty strong. For the record, I used to be on 360mg of OxyContin daily and was switched over to Opana ER and 80mg a day. I'd take the Opana anyday. Please be very safe. Good Luck!

Keep in mind that cross-tolerance is almost always going to play some part in finding the correct dosage of a new Opioid analgesic. You can try to calculate this beforehand, but it's really difficult to do so, as people have widely varying metabolisms and certain drugs affect certain people in drastically different ways.

With that said, 1mg of Oxycodone PO is roughly equal to 0.5mg Oxymorphone PO. So, we know that Oxymorphone by mouth is approximately twice as strong as Oxycodone by mouth. Now, we also know that the oral bioavailability of Oxymorphone is a meager ~10%. With that in mind, we know that almost all drugs are 100% bioavailability if administered by the IV route. IM/SC injection ranges anywhere from 85% - 100%.

Doing the math and knowing that Oxycodone's bioavailability, whether by mouth and by injection is not drastically different (~15%), we can say that 1mg of Oxymorphone IV is equal to ~10mg of Oxycodone by mouth. If I have fucked up this math somehow, please rescue me someone. I'm kind of out of it at the moment. Anyway, the moral of this story my friend, is that if you have the notion, you can really exploit Oxymorphone drastically variable bioavailability. Your oral dose, whatever it may be, is multiplied by ten.

If they give you the 10mg instant release pills, they are not difficult to prepare for injection, although you should always use a micron filter - especially with pills - and clean water. If they are the extended-release, with the newer version of abuse-proof tech, then you really should not inject these. It's possible, but there are a lot of reports of people seriously injuring themselves and the common thread was specifically, injection of extended release Opana. All pills are dangerous to inject, but these are apparently quite harmful in comparison to other pills.

So yes, you can get much mileage out of your Oxymorphone by using the IV route, but if you ever end up in say, the hospital, you'll have someone administering your drugs to you every day by mouth and it might be hard to do what you need to do. Also, you don't want to become dependent on high doses of Oxymorphone, so I would really reserve this practice to a sporadic frequency, like when your pain is really bad.

^I'm confused jjikhulgjgu... I think they only have readily made IV solutions of oxycodone in the hospital, not even sure if they do though so don't quote me.. The only way I know to iv oxycodone is get the pills, crush, add cool-room temp water, stir, filter, draw up, and bang! I have never heard of any one having such a thing, ready available Oxycodone IV Vials, with a solution readily made... like they have with morphine and other opioids... and also what are you talking about when you say the "weakest oxycodone"? like 5mg IR tabs? 5mg percocets? And 100mg of codeine aint shit! even if you are opiate naïve, that probably wont do much for anyone.. sounds like you should get another doctor if you are in pain?? But I really don't know exactly what you meant.. just guessing here.

I meant weaker pf the two. My pain is so bad that I can hardly get out of bed most days so they upped my morphine and switched the oxycodone to oxymorphone. I guess these pain docs are hard to find where I live, I was perfectly healthy a year ago. I guess thats why I dont get a buzz because the drug blocks the pain first. or it feels that way.