• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Switch from Subs To Oxy ?

NthMan

Greenlighter
I am getting surgery soon, just a simple procedure, but necessary, even whilst an ongoing pandemic, but just out of curiosity, could I just stop taking suboxone and switch to the oxycontin they’re going to give me ? Really want to feel the effects of the oxy, and yes all the doctors and anaesthesiologists know I’m on suboxone, theyre going to give me oxy 30’s to give me some pain relief, albeit without the euphoria..as I said, is it possible to just stop the bupe without withdrawals and just take the oxy ? Fully realize I’ll have to go thru withdrawals to get back on the subs..

is it possible to just stop the bupe without withdrawals and just take the oxy ?

Depending upon your daily buprenorphine dose and numerous other factors, yes, it’s possible. Especially if the doctors are aware and plan to adjust dosages accordingly.

There could be an issue where if you’re taking very large doses of buprenorphine (4mg+ daily), the oxycodone you’re prescribed won’t be enough to provide adequate pain relief and you’ll still experience severe withdrawals from the buprenorphine.

It’s a pretty nuanced topic, and probably best left to the anesthesiologist and pain management doctor and/or surgeon to calculate appropriate doses.

Hi NthMan, welcome to bluelight (you should introduce in the new member introduction forum). FYI I removed your other post with the same information as it was a duplicate post (which we discourage since you'll get more comprehensive feedback in one place).

The truth is you might getter pain relief by taking both simultaneously (as they are recommending). And as mentioned if your dose of buprenorphine is high, the oxycodone might not be sufficient. Also seems like a hassle as you'll have to stop the buprenorphine quite a bit before hand and essentially enter surgery in withdrawal. And then you'll risk precipitating withdrawal when you switch back. This is a lot to juggle in the midst of a surgical procedure.

What type of surgery? If you do stop beforehand it will be essential to inform the anesthesiologist that you stopped the buprenorphine as this is critical information and may change their protocol.

Well, given that response, I think I will just proceed with the above board plan of staying on the bupe and taking my meds the way theyre prescribed. Was hoping that it would be less nuanced but I dont want to overcomplicate my situation. Sorry about the duplicate posts. The surgery is just to have my appendix removed, its enlarged and I have a family history of cancer of a rare kind that likes to pop up in the appendix, as well as a few other places and yes, I am on a very high dose of suboxone for a TERRIBLE problem with kratom, much worse than the average bear. Only good thing about it is that its perfectly legal here, had it not been i couldve very easily caught a charge if it was with the papaver category. I will introduce myself on the new member thread, thanks for the info, it does help. Be well ✌️

Question for BL: With the suboxone blocker in place preventing euphoria from opioids or heroin--would they still work for pain? I really only notice the diminished effects about 2-3 days after the last strip.

Interesting if it only blocks the pleasurable aspect of opiates.

Question for BL: With the suboxone blocker in place preventing euphoria from opioids or heroin--would they still work for pain? I really only notice the diminished effects about 2-3 days after the last strip.

Interesting if it only blocks the pleasurable aspect of opiates.

Naloxone is only active for about 30 minutes. It is not the naloxone that blocks opiates, it is the buprenorphine that blocks it. If you are on a low dose of bupe (2mg and under), both opioids will possibly potentiate each other. The receptor responsible for pain relief is the same receptor that causes euphoria. People on low doses of bupe are given full agonists for break through pain. But if the bupe dose is too high, the buprenorphine itself will block the full agonist, thus providing no euphoria and no pain relief.