• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Switch from diazepam to clonazepam

pharaoh

Bluelighter
Based on the long half life of clonazepam and the rough dose comparison between it and diazepam, could you theoretically replace a 40mg (4 pills) per day diazepam habit with one clonazepam tablet per day in an attempt to keep from going into withdrawals and slowly tapering the dose? Seems in my head like it could work based on the long half life of kpins and the dosage comparison to diazepam. I was taking 30mg a day and have been using more and intend to get back down to 3 pills a day (morning, afternoon and then an hour or two before bed) - say if I got to taking 4 10mg diazepam tablets, could I theoretically change to taking one clonazepam every morning and the start to taper once feeling stable? I suppose otherwise it's easier to do it by lowering daily diazepam intake but it can be hard because you just reach for the pills when you feel stressed, whereas clonazepam doesn't seem like the type of drug you'd want to do too much of (I have 2mg tablets which roughly amounts to 40mg of diazepam I think).

Diazepam (and its active metabolites) have a significantly longer half life than clonazepam. Usually the longer acting benzo is what will be easier to transition onto from or shorter acting benzo or to taper off all together.

You should also know that benzodiazepine cross tolerance isn’t always complete. So just because equipotent charts say that x/mg is equal to x/mg doesn’t means it’s exact.

Also - depending on where you look 0.25-0.5mg of clonazepam is considered equipotent to 10mg of diazepam.

So diazepam has a longer half life than diazepam? I completely read the chart wrong. Is there any use for clonazepam in terms of tapering off of diazepam? The reason I went for anothdr benzo with a long half life to taper is because clonaz seems to last for a long time and I read that w/ds are delayed significantly, but also I figured that it might be easier to calculate doses based on the fact that clonazepam is less likely to be faked and that diazepam is variable in terms of dosage and even the active ingredient (my source is mostly good but once I ended up with 90 bromazolam tablets which completely threw my attempts at controlling my use out of the window due to the difference in onset, effects and half life etc). I also got alprazolam for when I finally reduce down enough to stop to keep around in case I feel a seizure coming on.

So diazepam has a longer half life than diazepam? I completely read the chart wrong. Is there any use for clonazepam in terms of tapering off of diazepam? The reason I went for anothdr benzo with a long half life to taper is because clonaz seems to last for a long time and I read that w/ds are delayed significantly, but also I figured that it might be easier to calculate doses based on the fact that clonazepam is less likely to be faked and that diazepam is variable in terms of dosage and even the active ingredient (my source is mostly good but once I ended up with 90 bromazolam tablets which completely threw my attempts at controlling my use out of the window due to the difference in onset, effects and half life etc). I also got alprazolam for when I finally reduce down enough to stop to keep around in case I feel a seizure coming on.
Diazepam has an incredible long half live. I bet way longer then Clonazepam. But they both anti-convulsant's so that's good.

About Diazepams duration. Its for me at least after taking it for five day's, each time a lower dose. An Alcohol WD taper. 12 day's after I was still affected/ sluggishly stoned, wonder if Clonazepam comes anywhere close to that.

I don't know what to expect. I've never tried to taper, I came off it suddenly earlier this year after lapsing back onto H and going on a mad bender. I was drinking, on benzos, using H and God knows what else and basically just woke up with no money and went cold turkey. The anxiety was unbearable but the whole experience of depersonalization was weirdly like being on a drug in itself. Really strange and even though I had a seizure, I did get better relatively quickly given the nature of stopping so suddenly and i hadn't really factored benzos into it because of the H and the booze being things that I have come off in the past. Anyway it makes me think that I can do it right if I plan it properly but it's hard when you have to rely on the black market. The health service really should offer detox - some lucky people get it for alcohol (I did I yr once) and pretty much any heroin addict can get a script for methadone, buprenorphine and buvidal (the latter - a slow release bupe which leaves your system so gradually that you don't even notice any w/ds is a life saver). Yet if you go into a service and say you need help getting off benzos, they tell you to use your own supply. Anyway thanks for your thoughts.

In the past withdrawals that I went through the ones that are GABA related like GHB, pregabalin, phenibut, and couple benzo I can say that gabapentin and pregabalin in low doses are best bet for taper than jump.
as for benzos Diazepam was always the most recreational, alprazolam was like a fist in the head, and clonazepam was ok but boring.
I went through CT from 30mg diazepam, 2mg xanax xr, and 2mg clonazepam not at the same time but separately even was tapering those two later with diazepam which turned me into diazepam adict!
Because were am from doctors still prescribe to much benzos to any small I feel bad and I couldn't sleep thing which is ok acutely but long term not and now I see a lot people in Balkan region will suffer from bad withdrawals but that is not the topic now!

sorry, so I did tried rotating them to be exact I was on xanax er 2mg, and could get prescribed lorazepam 2,5mg every month 30x so I would just always as I haven't felt any sort of withdrawal after a month of lorazepam and a year of xanax before that

Lorazepam has something like 8hr half life which is not long and not short and also has some mild afterglow not rebound effect which is why it's been used in hospitals for seizures and psychosis and if in distress before any surgery or whatever among some opthions like flunitrazepam(the best recreational one).

So yeah it is fucked when health system says use your own supply whatever the fuck that means! drink yourself to death or go buy some fentanyl laced pills!
but look:
First take into account what is working even little as we who were on benzos long term have this fear of every little jump in heartbeat as that will be seizure
so taper if you have f.e. 30 pills of clonazepam 2mg
take 5x2mg than 5x1mg than 10x 0,5mg
20 pills go with 0,5mg till last 5 pills than sublingual take maybe less but with clonazepam is hard cause it's potent so diazepam or lorazepam best for taper
Gabapentin even better

Diazepam (and its active metabolites) have a significantly longer half life than clonazepam. Usually the longer acting benzo is what will be easier to transition onto from or shorter acting benzo or to taper off all together.

You should also know that benzodiazepine cross tolerance isn’t always complete. So just because equipotent charts say that x/mg is equal to x/mg doesn’t means it’s exact.

Also - depending on where you look 0.25-0.5mg of clonazepam is considered equipotent to 10mg of diazepam.
The Ashton manual shows the best way to detox with limited withdrawals. The problem is the meds their pumping out these days. I have to order the Teva clons and I'll wait for em. Ever since 2019 more cheap made meds are out and the pharmacies pick the lowest price ones like from China. For me Teva 2 mg clons are the cleanest formulation. All the others give some side effect I don't like. I always look at the inactive ingredients too. They can change the active effects. The problem for me is finding a doctor that will let me be in the drivers seat as in the Heather Ashton manual. It takes real trust since you'll have xans/clons and Valium to switch over lowering the clons while upping the vals and if you don't feel right you decide when to keep going up or down. It takes as long or short as you want. Look her manual up. I'm still looking 4 the doc for this.