• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Surfers Unite!

There are some awesome bodyboarding vids I've seen. Some of those guys are getting some massive airs now.

When I say it's easier, I mean someone can do it for the first time and probably get barralled.

Surfers can get air too though.Short vid.

I'd like to start doing surfing this year but don't know where to start. Anyone got any tips on what size board to get. Maybe like a long board. 8ft?

the_ketaman said:
I dont think either are easier or harder, I dont think either are better and its the person riding the board that matters, theres a bunch of bodyboarders that I fuckin hate and some stand up surfers are some of my best friends, I can stand up but I choose not to because I can only get barrelled and do turns on a standup, no airs. On a bodyboard I can drop-knee(IMHO definitely harder than surfing) get barrelled, do airs and turns. I agree surfing is fucking hard, but real bodyboarding is in no way easy. Their both just different.

I have a lot of love for the boogie board... perfect to teach my 5 yr old daughter how to catch waves, you got to start somewhere ;)

As for airs, why wouldn't I just hit a half pipe on my snowboard? Or jump on a trampoline?

Seriously I have no beef with esky lid riders, I am jealous they can pull into some serious dumping shore breaks that I wouldn't dream of on a board. But I have noticed that not many boogers have a girlfriend sitting in the dunes watching them. Coincidence? I think not......;)

CC that second video is fucking insane.....:D

Awesome thread.

I ride either a 6'2" gun(ish) board for when its big,and a 7'2" mini mal for when its small.Haven't been out in 2 weeks though :(

StarOceanHouse:Depends on your weight and height....but I'd definitely recommend a mal/mini mal.

In English? ;)

So about 63kg.... something at least 7ft and thick enough to float your skinny arse (like me!). That's if you are looking at a mini mal, they are generally easier to paddle as well. A short board 5-6inch taller than you will often do, but it won't be as forgiving to stand up on. On the other hand you might not get bored with it as you get better, and is easier to duck dive when the swell picks up. Full mal (10ft +) and you will get the shits carrying it around.

Just as important is finding a good wave to learn on. Somethin 1-2 feet and gentle spill, preferably one that you don't have to paddle far. Nothing worse than struggling to get out to the wave and then spend the next 30min blowing hard and not surfing. Don't head to the local break until you know some surf rules as well. Dropping in is a sure fire way to warm the local gorilla's*

*Please see Point Break;)

So i got a new board for my birthday

Drew Anderson 6'6" x 19" x 2 1/2", Quad Fin, Rounded Square Tail

DSC00316.jpg

DSC00317.jpg

Going to get the creatures Taj Burrow grip for it, as well, once i ripped off the grip from my old board (started falling off) my surfing also fell to bits also, so i think i need it.

Might look at experimenting with fins once i get use to riding it... currently have FCS M5's on it... but might put on M7's at the front and leaving M5's at the back

CANT FUCKIN WAIT TO TAKE IT OUT THIS WEEKEND =D=D=D

Last edited:
I surf linda mar and half moon bay 3 or 4 times a year... in CA....not to big on surfing but kitesurfing is something i am learning. and sailing the hobie is a blast Sherman island!!! little baja!!

waves in Virginia Beach are a joke, so the surfing options are a bit limited. Body boarding is probably more popular around here (which is what I do for the most part) because of this, but it is definitely a lot of fun.

I wish i lived by the beach. Only surfed/bodyboarded a couple times but that shit is so much fun. Surfed off of Maui and Florida a few times. But now i live in arkansas and there is no ocean haha.