• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Diet Sulforaphane really helped me with depression and anxiety

Monty79

Greenlighter
Hi all,

many years ago I experienced psychosis from MDMA abuse, anxiety and sometimes depression never went away fully. Also I have to be extremely careful about what substances I'm taking ever since, for example only traces of tryptophan or St John's Wort will act like a psychoactive substance for me (with a terrible hangover/depression the next day). It's like my brain is over-sensitive for anything acting psychoactive ever since, I never found an explanation for this.

Anyway, the reason for me posting is sulforaphane. It's a bioactive compound found in cruciferous vegetables, mostly in broccoli sprouts. The research on this compound is still very new and I can't explain how it works on brains, all I can say is it does work on mine, lol.

I started growing broccoli sprouts from seeds some 3 months ago and the anxiolytic and anti-depressing effects are really astounding to me. The effect is increasing over time for me, so I had to eat them for 2-3 weeks to start noticing the effects.

Just thought I would share my experience with you guys. Good luck to all of you.

Some research:

interesting.. I had similar problems with MDMA. I see them talking about long term comedown as if it's a new thing with only today's MDMA in the x threads but I'm a product of the late 90's scene and it definitely happened to a lot of people I know. There just wasn't a name for it then and the larger scene just dismissed and refused to validate those who were experiencing these symptoms because they weren't experiencing them and it would blemish there precious drug.... Not against MDMA use btw.... But back then we just had to suffer in a silence or be made to feel like we were delusional or pussies.

"Its all in your head".... Don't know how many times I heard this... Lol.. No shit.! Of course it's in my head. What does that even mean? End of rant..... Anyways... Gonna check this out.

interesting.. I had similar problems with MDMA. I see them talking about long term comedown as if it's a new thing with only today's MDMA in the x threads but I'm a product of the late 90's scene and it definitely happened to a lot of people I know. There just wasn't a name for it then and the larger scene just dismissed and refused to validate those who were experiencing these symptoms because they weren't experiencing them and it would blemish there precious drug.... Not against MDMA use btw.... But back then we just had to suffer in a silence or be made to feel like we were delusional or pussies.

"Its all in your head".... Don't know how many times I heard this... Lol.. No shit.! Of course it's in my head. What does that even mean? End of rant..... Anyways... Gonna check this out.
Yeah, I completely understand what you mean. I'm a product of the early 90's scene, and it didn't happen to any friends I knew back then. Well, apart from a few suicides. I was completely alone, no internet back then to ask for help.

There's really no information about this over-sensitivity ever since? Oh well, I go back to my broccoli sprouts and sulforaphane, the only thing that really helped me in all those years.

It is obtained from cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and cabbages.
WHOA I absolutely LOVE and eat TONS!!!!! of these vegetables (broc, brussel sprouts, cabbage) etc, whenever I can.

Very interesting. I perhaps should try to eat more greens more often. All 3 are a huge, huge, huge delicious plus.

Can you get it in capsule form or something from health stores? I don't really "do" food.
No, I don't think you can get sulforaphane from capsules in health stores. You really have to "do" food for getting it.

Moringa powder is a substitute according to Dr. Jed Fahey from Johns Hopkins, but I haven't tried this yet.

WHOA I absolutely LOVE and eat TONS!!!!! of these vegetables (broc, brussel sprouts, cabbage) etc, whenever I can.

Very interesting. I perhaps should try to eat more greens more often. All 3 are a huge, huge, huge delicious plus.
Good for you, if you suffer from mental health problems like depression or anxiety, broccoli sprouts contain 100x more sulforaphane than the grown vegetables. Dr. Rhonda Patrick has a lot to say on this topic on her Youtube channel FoundMyFitness.

Last edited:
So you don't eat anything at all? ??? Trust me eating is worthwhile.

No, I do. Not every day, but I have really sensitive blood sugar (Quetiapine fucked it up, even if I don't take it anymore) so I have to eat some days and I do like simple carbohydrates. Just I rarely have an appetite. I'm usually either too high or in withdrawal. I am down to about 100lb, though. Starting to look like either an anorexic or a meth addict lol.

Buddy just make yourself one meal every night it'll do wonders for your mental/physical health even if you don't want to add weight. The vitamins/minerals in food are irreplaceable for your mind/mental health.

Buddy just make yourself one meal every night it'll do wonders for your mental/physical health even if you don't want to add weight. The vitamins/minerals in food are irreplaceable for your mind/mental health.

I do take a shit-ton of supplements, though.
I can't eat the much in one go. If I eat it tends to be small snacks throughout the day.

Try making a small meal some roasted brussel sprouts cut up with diced onion, garlic, a little olive oil or butter. It'll be good. Start small.