• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Sudden arthritis - really scared!

rainbowrose

Greenlighter
Hello again everyone!

It's me, the heroin noob. I've only been using since last October, and since a few months ago I've noticed stiffness in my hands in the morning. It takes a few minutes for my hands to loosen up again. Googling symptoms is always the worst thing a hypochondriac could ever do - and I found articles saying how heroin use could have really negative effects such as rheumatoid arthritis setting in. :(

I'm only 34. I haven't even been using that long, or that much. But now I have this thing happening, and I guess I'm coming here searching for reassurances of some sort. Perhaps you've experienced something similar? Maybe if I stop using, it'll go away? Maybe it's caused by something else? I'd go to a doctor, except that my insurance ran out at the end of last year, which is really what led me down this path to begin with. Pain management with heroin is just cheaper than buying pills, and more effective than weed. Such a fucked up system we have, but that's the way it is. And it's my choice in the end.

Just like how it'll be my choice to stop using, and hopefully soon. I completely understand now how hard it is to stop.

I ask for sympathy, patience, and understanding regarding my position. And if you can, please help?

Thank you, kind people.

When using fentanyl patches recreationally (buccally) for almost 2 years, after about a year suddenly I experienced carpal tunnel like symptoms in my hands. I had swelling, numbness, waking up in pain. Couldn't feel my first two fingers and thumb.

Went to the doctor and they did the electric shock test to see nerve response. They recommended surgery. Had a second opinion who also though I had such a bad case I needed surgery.

I knew somehow it was related to the fentanyl as I never had the issue prior to that as well as other clues. I refused the surgery a d asked for occupational therapy and tapered down on patches.

The feeling in my fingers returned 2 months later. About 4 months later I stopped using patches. Ever since I stopped patches I have t had any issues in my hands, nerves, etc. And at its worst I would wake up in tears from the pain

I didn't know if it was carpal tunnel, arthritis, or some weird side effect from buccally using the patches. I did know in my gut it was related to my use, as I went from no problems to having doctors tell me the nerve test was so bad they didn't know how I didn't come in sooner. I did some reading and numbness in hands was a rare but known side effect so I knew I was probably right in my gut instinct

Anyway I'm very thankful I didn't have surgery. My hands are fine and I work in an occupation I need them!!

Mostly I'm trying to say opiates can do weird things to your body so if your instincts tell you it's from the dope you're probably right.