• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Suboxone withdrawal starting today

Hoosier08

Greenlighter
Hi,
I have been taking 8 mg a day of suboxone for about a year. Tapering has never been my strong suit so once again I’m just going to jump from 8. I did this a few years ago and was sober for well over a year before stupidly getting back on. I pretty much know what to expect, but I am beyond scared about going through it again. Stakes are higher now—I have a wife, one kid, and another on the way. I have no idea how I’m going to do this and still take care of my responsibilities, but it has to be done. No one in my family knows or can know so this is the only support I can get. Thanks in advance.

I applaud your efforts- I don't think I could do that- power to you, my friend. I hope it goes well for u whatever u choose to do..I am a bit of a wuss ..I would totally taper...!! why suffer needlessly (granted eventually we will suffer at end once off :) ) I worry for u a bit...
i think sometimes the second time going off may be harder from what I hear. it is brutal getting off opiates I wish I never got on subs and just quit the street drugs..no wonder you are super worried..I was wondering was there reason to just stop cold turkey? is it because you have hard time just taking some instead of all?(I get that) I'm afraid because you have more to lose that you might want to try and do it a bit more gently this time? even going to 4 for a couple weeks, then 2, 1? no? hopefully some other folks have advice that helps. I'm on it too and really want to get off..it sucks the life out of me I haven't felt this depressed and unmotivated before I don't think...maybe u feel same thus desire to get off.fast..good luck! We all in your corner for sure, (not that it helps when the sick hits...)

I don't see how you're going to be able to keep this from your family.

Your wife at the least will see that you're sick. And honestly. While it's hardly my place to tell you what you should do, and you haven't asked for advice on it. I really think you should tell her.

Lying to my loved ones is one of my biggest regrets in my addiction. Permanently damaging their trust. I strongly recommend you at least let your wife know what's going on.

I would be scared too in your position. I've been in the position of knowing withdrawal was coming and it always terrified me. But I applaud you for trying to get off this shit for your family.

For me, I don't think I'd ever have been able to do it. Getting on and staying on methadone has been the only thing that's managed to stabilize my life and allow me to become an honest person again.

And it's not just the withdrawal. I wasn't willing to risk having to live with post withdrawal syndrome either.

But I'm not you, and if you feel you gotta get off it. I'm rooting for you. Good luck man.

I agree with jess that you should tell your family, they may be able to offer support and are probably already concerned about you.

knowing you're going to be sick is awful. going to bed with no dark and knowing I was going to wake up ill and had to do something awful before I could well was absolutely a low point for me.

good luck. are you getting psychological help too?