• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Treatment Suboxone or cold turkey?

Hey, THANKS FOR RESPONDING back to me and sending me some positive reinforcement vibes....totally need them...TOTALLY stoked for u and spending quality clean time with the fam! Super lucky to have a wife and a child....I have picked the worst dudes and have wasted so much time! I cheated and had one delivered....I was starting to feel somewhat tolerant but feel better now. I guess now I need to wait till the morning or if I wake up ill i'll take some sub....like 2 mg off the jump u think??? See...I am a wimp I guess, I CANNOT TAKE w'ding.....I know it's worse that I'm just couped up n my room stressing my life....TO THE MAX.....I even felt like maybe going to a meting tonight.....damn, I'M ALL OVER THE PLACE...TNX FOR READING......AM HAPPY FOR U YOU'VE MADE IT THRU....I WOULD KILL TO BE WHERE U ARE....I JUST WANT TO FUNCTION, WORK, WALK MY FRIGGIN DOGGGGGG........

The worst is over! I promise! The waiting it out and wd's is the worst part. once you get the subs in then you're going to feel better and better every day! Just know that tomorrow you should be able to get out. You might feel the slightest discomfort but it'll feel good to leave the house and get you back to your old self! I want this so bad for you because it's made me a new man already and it's just begun!

Hoping I can sleep some tonight....well, sleep a long time since i'm not working and make it thru the next few days....so should I take 2mg when I wake? Prob between like 4-8am.....I only did one cap so I'll be ok to take more subs tomorrow? I'm thinking my remainder 6mg's might not be enough for this adventure....Again, STOKED FOR U!!!!

Feeling a little better today! Took 2mg at 3 am...took 1mg at 8:30am and STARTED cleaning my room for the first time IN DAYS! I'm actually feeling somewhat to the extent of "stable"....I only have one little sliver of the first 8 left and one more!!! I CAN DO THIS!!!!

That's the attitude!!! I know you've got this!!! Just remember... everyday you should decrease your sub dose and I only went 4 days. You can go 7 but I just wanted OFF!! Your brain is amazing powerful but tempting! Keep it strong and be as active as possible today and get those endorphins flowing!!

I'm very proud of you!!!

For some reason when people gave me encouragement on here it made me feel like I didn't want to let them down haha

Hey there!!! I'm alive and have worked the past two days! I CANNOT BELIEVE that this stuff WORKS AND I AM OK!!! I have not felt sick and have started to feel my SELF, whatever that may be, coming back!!! IT'S A FRIGGIN MIRACLE! I am eternally thankful for the subs and cannot believe I have not known of this before now......Thank you for your care and responding back to me! I know this is kinda silly but I have looked forward to your encouragement! I am soooo grateful that I found this website and this particular thread and was able to educate myself to feel confident enough to undertake this mission. I am going thru soo much with my family and their frustrastion with me "that I just can't stop"......"why can't u just wake up, go to work, and forget about these loser guys?" It's my doggggggg and I now!!! Oh, and btw I just went on a walk for the first time in months and it was quite pleasant!!! I'm finally gonna go to a meeting in an hour and try to get some positive reinforcements there.....and some coffee ;) I still have 5 mg left and gonna slowly do them the next two days and by then I think I should be safe from the dope w'd's.....THEN THE REAL HARD WORK BEGINS......Pray for me that I can make it completely thru and be released from the chains of the herion dragon! This will be the first time in 5 years that I will be able to wake up and function without the injestion of a drug.......I'm sooooo thankful right now.....I really think I CAN DO THIS!!!!! I used to have a life, I used to be the most positive smiling person and these days, I cry at least 20 times a day......I've even been able to sleep the past two nights......well, I'm gonna get ready for this meeting and once again, I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR WORDS AND KIND THOUGHTS! I'm hoping that you and yours are doing super duper and things are going kickbutt for u! Rock on!!!!

I hear ya! I've been on one form of bupe or another since 2013 after about 10 years on various full-agonists. We did my taxes the other day and figured it cost me about $10,000 last year to see this bupe doctor between the prior approvals being denied and the doctor being out-of-network. Part of that is my fault for thinking Belbuca would help me get to lower doses since my doctor wouldn't prescribe plain old bupe without the naloxone. Now all of a sudden Subutex is okay, but the doctor has now required counseling on top of everything else. That's the final straw. Not that there is anything wrong with counseling but I've been thru that song and dance before and feel there is nothing they can do for me that I can't do for myself. My therapist in 2013 was heavily 12 step based and I did 3 years of AA up until last year until I got jaded about all that stuff although I acknowledge it changed my thinking to some extent. My freedom means everything to me at this point.

I've been taking about 1mg a day until a couple days ago. My question is do you think codeine could play any role in easing the transition off bupe?

Suboxone is worse to withdraw from than oxycodone IMO many say the opposite however. I usually do a rapid taper (a week) of whatever I'm using as opposed to straight up cold turkey, my last few times I used kratom for maintenance which is painless to withdraw from compared to any other opiate, the most painful part is the first couple days of kratom.

I used kratom for maintenance which is painless to withdraw from compared to any other opiate, the most painful part is the first couple days of kratom.

Treezy, just curious about what you mean about the first couple of days of Kratom? I've tried Kratom quite a few times and noticed very little. Could be because I was taking bupe. Last time I took quite a bit and was almost incapacitated for a few hours. I honestly didn't think I was safe to drive home from my brother's. I can't say that it was the most pleasant feeling.

If you're taking buprenorphine you shouldn't be experience any withdrawal from kratom (well, perhaps a bit, but nothing that isn't very manageable).

The only reason buprenorphine withdrawal would be "worse" than oxycodone withdrawal is because of its nature as a longer acting opioid. It's not worse so much as different. When long acting opioids, such as methadone and buprenorphine, are not used or discontinued properly, coming off them can be very uncomfortable because of how dragged out the process can be compared to coming off opioids that have shorter half lives, like oxycodone and heroin.

But with just a little planning it is very easy to structure a taper that can make coming off long acting opioids like methadone and buprenorphine much easier than shorter acting ones, as it allows your body more time to readjust to a life without all those exogenous endorphins. It's just frustrating more doctors don't ensure the medications are used properly, and how little most working in the recovery industry still seem to understand about how to use them effectively.

I've been taking about 1mg a day until a couple days ago. My question is do you think codeine could play any role in easing the transition off bupe?

It would, but something like tramadol would be much more effective. Likewise, I would think that kratom would be more effective than a full agonist classic opiate like codeine. The best arsenal for coming off buprenorphine is probably something like the following: gabapentin, clonidine, diazepam and tramadol (or if tramadol isn't possible, a week or two of relatively low dose methadone).

Last edited by a moderator: