• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Suboxone is not for everyone

CrackerJacks

Greenlighter
I’m new here, I’m not sure if this goes in this section due to its content but I’m doing my best. I’m making this post because In my scramble to get off heroin (a mild habit compared to most of what I’ve seen here, the MOST I will do is a little under a gram in a 24 hour period) I’ve had a lot of people suggest suboxone, and the research surrounding that stuff is flat out UNRELIABLE. Yesterday was my second attempt at quitting with them, a couple months ago was the pills, this time I had the 8mg strips. I waited 12 hours to take it, I was definitely starting to withdraw. At 7 am I took it in 2mg strips every 1/2 hour until it was gone. My issue is that it hardly did shit for me and I don’t understand why! Are there some people that it just doesn’t work for? My withdrawals barely went away, I was exhausted, I was able to maintain my nausea for the most part but I did vomit once. I was so miserable by noon that I called my dealer, bought a 40, snorted it right away. It was enough to calm me down thank god but as expected I didn’t feel the full effects of it. So, the miracle drug everyone seems to rave about isn’t so miraculous after all and here I am feeling hopeless and frustrated. I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong because I genuinely do want to quit but I can’t go to work and maintain my responsibilities if I am in full blown withdraw.

I've always found that the sicker I am the better subutex works. It's very unusual for that high of a dose to not have got rid of your withdrawals - are you sure what you were taking was heroin and not some heavily fentanyl-laced stuff? I'd suggest definitely trying it again, but this time wait the full 24 hours that's recommended. Are your strips the kind that dissolve in your mouth?? If you wait long enough and have enough subutex (maybe you've been taking fentanyl and so will need 16mg to induce??) it will definitely get rid of your withdrawals at some point. Nobody is naturally completely immune to subutex, so please don't be discouraged.

Buprenorphine (the active ingredient in suboxone) is whats called a partial opiate agonist. Heroin and other recreational opiates are full agonists. This means that its rarely a smooth transition between the two drugs. Your not going to feel right for 2-3 days after the switch. The bigger your habit the rougher it is generally. Bupe also has some weird characteristics as a drug that i will not attempt to explain but ime lower doses of bupe make the transition easier for some reason. I always tell people to load the suboxone gradually starting with a 1mg dose and going up every hour after that until you feel better or reach 8mg.

Hey CrackerJacks-

Dude! You didn't wait long enough to induct on the Sub. I'm sure you were starting to feel shitty after 12 hours, but that isn't nearly enough time. I had a horrific induction a couple months
ago and I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. I had waited 20 hours and it still wasn't long enough. So, this last time I went 48 hours and VIOLA! I took a small amount of Sub, like 2mg,
and that shit brought me right back to feeling human again. The trick is to wait as long as possible, something I could not do in the past because who can go without their DOC for two days??

What changed the game for me was having a script of Clonidine. It took away the restlessness and the sweating, and chilled me out in a way that benzos just can't when I'm kicking. Its the only way
I was able to ride out that time frame.

Good Luck to you

The transition to Sub has never been a pleasant one for me. I literally feel like shit for about 2-3 days as in unable to function, or even hold a conversation. On day 3 or 4, things start gradually turning around and normalizing.

Yup it’s not an easy smooth transition, definitely better than without but usually your still feeling like garbage for 2-3 days.

Also are you taking this Dr Reddys Generic crap their forcing on everyone? That shit barely works.

-GC