• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Suboxone/hydromorphone

Deicide1212

Bluelighter
I have been taking Suboxone for 11 months. I am wondering. What is a safe duration of time to take Hydromorphone after I stop taking suboxone. Is it safe to take after the initial 24 hours? Thanks.

After 24 hours possibly I would think it's safe. Personally, I remember taking Subs then about 20 minutes later doing a whole 80mg OC. Without, that much of an interaction. But, this is along time ago. Be careful.

As far as I can tell, having done petty much the same thing. It wouldn't be dangerous but you wouldn't feel hardly anything. It would be a waste of time. Toss that sucker in the trash and stick with the Subs. Going back into pill land is he'll which I am sure you know. I would say I'm praying for you but that's dorky, plus I know you'll. Succeed ❤

Hi there @Deicide1212 :)

If you're referring to the potential for Precipitated Withdrawal, the immediate onset of withdrawal caused by administering an Opioid antagonist to a person tolerant to Opioid agonists, this situation is actually the reverse of that. Precipitated withdrawal would be caused by taking Buprenorphine too soon while having been dependent upon Hydromorphone (Dilaudid) for some time.

If that is not what you're referring to, then the issue is more about figuring out the right dosage of Hydromorphone that will actually have the desired effect upon you. Buprenorphine is an interesting drug, as it is both an agonist and an antagonist, but for our purposes, we're talking about it like it's any other powerful Opioid, which it is. The antagonist properties would only come into significant play if the situation was reversed.

There is a lot of conjecture regarding the conversion of Buprenorphine to other Opioids, but there is enough information out there to help you make a safe and educated guess regarding this dosage.

8mg Buprenorphine taken sublingually is equal to approximately 240mg oral Morphine. Extrapolating, this would mean each 1mg Buprenorphine = 30mg Morphine.

Further, if both drugs are consumed by the oral route, each 4mg Morphine = 1mg Hydromorphone.

Let's say hypothetically, you're taking that 8mg Buprenorphine as your dose. We take our Morphine Milligram Equivalent, 240mg and divide this by 4 to arrive at 60mg Hydromorphone. These numbers might seem high, but we are discussing the oral route of administration for sake of understanding.

If you were to say, insufflate this Hydromorphone, you would then be doubling the bioavailability, making your number for equivalent effects at around 30mg Hydromorphone. I'm going to go with the crazy notion that you will likely be insufflating these, but if that is not the case, you can simply double the factors I'm about to lay out.

If 30mg is required to get that equivalency from 8mg Buprenorphine, we just divide that 30 by 8. So, for each milligram of Buprenorphine that you are taking, you would need 3.75mg Hydromorphone insufflated or 7.5mg by the oral route. Of course, if by chance you're injecting the Hydromorphone, you would increase the oral dose by a factor of 3 as opposed to 2, leaving you with essentially a milligram for milligram equivalency to your sublingual Buprenorphine.

I have been taking Suboxone for 11 months. I am wondering. What is a safe duration of time to take Hydromorphone after I stop taking suboxone. Is it safe to take after the initial 24 hours? Thanks.
I was recently in the ICU then the hospital for 6 weeks. Because of the swelling in my brain I couldn't communicate with the docs. Because it was a huge surgery they just pumped me full of opiates without knowing I was on Subs. It's hard to compare that situation to yours because I'm assuming you are living a normal life, but all I noticed is no euphoria and very minimal pain reduction. Nothing bad happened from going from Subs for years to pain meds for 8 weeks

Hi there @Deicide1212 :)

If you're referring to the potential for Precipitated Withdrawal, the immediate onset of withdrawal caused by administering an Opioid antagonist to a person tolerant to Opioid agonists, this situation is actually the reverse of that. Precipitated withdrawal would be caused by taking Buprenorphine too soon while having been dependent upon Hydromorphone (Dilaudid) for some time.

If that is not what you're referring to, then the issue is more about figuring out the right dosage of Hydromorphone that will actually have the desired effect upon you. Buprenorphine is an interesting drug, as it is both an agonist and an antagonist, but for our purposes, we're talking about it like it's any other powerful Opioid, which it is. The antagonist properties would only come into significant play if the situation was reversed.

There is a lot of conjecture regarding the conversion of Buprenorphine to other Opioids, but there is enough information out there to help you make a safe and educated guess regarding this dosage.

8mg Buprenorphine taken sublingually is equal to approximately 240mg oral Morphine. Extrapolating, this would mean each 1mg Buprenorphine = 30mg Morphine.

Further, if both drugs are consumed by the oral route, each 4mg Morphine = 1mg Hydromorphone.

Let's say hypothetically, you're taking that 8mg Buprenorphine as your dose. We take our Morphine Milligram Equivalent, 240mg and divide this by 4 to arrive at 60mg Hydromorphone. These numbers might seem high, but we are discussing the oral route of administration for sake of understanding.

If you were to say, insufflate this Hydromorphone, you would then be doubling the bioavailability, making your number for equivalent effects at around 30mg Hydromorphone. I'm going to go with the crazy notion that you will likely be insufflating these, but if that is not the case, you can simply double the factors I'm about to lay out.

If 30mg is required to get that equivalency from 8mg Buprenorphine, we just divide that 30 by 8. So, for each milligram of Buprenorphine that you are taking, you would need 3.75mg Hydromorphone insufflated or 7.5mg by the oral route. Of course, if by chance you're injecting the Hydromorphone, you would increase the oral dose by a factor of 3 as opposed to 2, leaving you with essentially a milligram for milligram equivalency to your sublingual Buprenorphine.
I red many of your posts in last two years and this is one of the best, AND I KNOW IT'S OLD
Not too long, you did great thing with simple math here
I have a lot of pain lately and I work a lot with the help of stims like Concerta which is like coffee and sometimes I ca purchase amphs from a guy in a med. world.
There is a question that I will be asking in a day or two, will elaborate
thx @Keif' Richards