• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Suboxone and Tolerance

dton1021

Greenlighter
Hello everyone! I'm new to this so bear with me. I've been on suboxone 12mg for about 3 months. After being on suboxone for that long and on that amount, if i decide to take a regular opiate again, where would my tolerance be at? Would my tolerance be lowered or raised? And is it correct that I should wait at least 72 hours before I would be able to feel it? Thanks for the help!

Thanks to the buprenorphine in your system you have in effect a very large tolerance now. It will likely have significantly increased since you last were using other opioids, although this is a product more of the buprenorphine's action - as in once you detox from buprenorphine you're tolerance will shrink to nothing as the buprenorphine leaves your system.

How long it will take before you can enjoy most normal opioids again will depend on a few things. It depends what the opioids you were to plan on using was, how much you were to take and your ROA. It could take over a week for your tolerance to drop to a point where you can properly appreciate their pleasant range of effects.

With a high enough dose it is possible to break through the blockage dose of buprenorphine hours after taking buprenorphine, but this is dangerous because it involves very high quantities of very powerful opioids (as in I could break through, although just barely, with a 0.5-0.8g shot of heroin or by eating 120mg of oxycodone - neither a safe choice!).

I'd suggest trying tramadol as you won't have to get off the buprenorphine to enjoy it normally.

For me personally as far as tolerance goes to the drug itself I never noticed a shift in tolerance at all, the same amount gets me the same affect daily, as far as it making my tolerance higher to other opiates no it does not at all, of course if I take suboxone that day and try to get high my tolerance will be very high or blocked, though if I go a day or two without taking Suboxone I can get just as rocked on heroin without a tolerance to it at all. THIS IS JUST ME

Thanks a lot for the help guys. Opiatekrzy, how many milligrams are you on? I believe I read somewhere that someone took suboxone for a year and was at like 24mg daily, and was off it for months and decided to take oxy but his tolerance was still pretty high due to the year of suboxone use. Like it kinda fried his opioid receptors. Has this happened to anyone?

Last edited:
Mostly personal experience. What you are describing sounds within the realm of possibility, but it would be either very rare or the person you know who experienced that was at higher than average risk for complications like that (such as high dose long term use, and/or switching back and forth between buprenorphine and other opioids).

I take sub to keep out of withdrawl. If I use, I'll have about the same tolerance as I had last time I used. Even after sub. So for example:

Day 1, I have been bingeing for a week on heroin (or more likely fent) iv'ing 2 to 3 stamp bags per dose, 10 bags a day or more. Then I run out of dope or money to buy more dope with. I wait until I can feel withdrawls starting e.g. elevated heart rate, uneasiness, anxiety, cant hold still or sleep, so on. I take the first dose, 4 to 8 mg sub. The first dose of sub I make sure is high so I won't have any precipitated withdrawl. That lasts 24 hours. Then second dose is half the first dose. That lasts 24 hours. Then the third dose is half the last dose. So at this point I'm at my maintenance dose whish is 1/8th of an 8mg/2mg sub strip. I take 1/8th every 24 hours and I never end up in withrawl. And that also makes your sub last a long time so you can horde it (which every opioid addict should imo). If and when I decide to use again, my tolerance is about the same as it was in the middle or end of the last binge. Never assume that you tolerance is high though. Always assume you have little to no tolerance and go slow in the beginning. Better slow and titrate up than overdosing. I never have any problems with the sub "blocking" opioid effects. It might be because I'm using very potent opioids and my maintenance dose is so low, but that's my experience. Imho, you shouldn't ever have a maintenance dose so high as to take 12mg a day. Always reduce your dose as fast as is comfortable. You'll be surprised at how fast your body will addapt and be comfortable with much lower doses of bupe.

Reactions: klh
I should have also mentioned I experience the tolerance issues with buprenorphine at doses between 4-12mg/day. With less than 4mg/day it was far less problematic (particularly around 1-2mg).

Reactions: klh
yeah facultgen, I wouldn't think subs would raise your tolerance to other opiates if you used them like that. I'm more wondering about the people that are taking them at a high dose like me for a longer period of time. If they experienced a raise in tolerance once off them for a bit. Nevertheless, thanks guys for the help :)

I used to stupidly take up to 16-24mg daily, but learned the side effects were horrible along it being a waste of Bupe. I take no more than 4mg daily, and space my doses out by 1mg at a time, as I feel a full agonist effect, as they say..I never noticed a need to take more then 1mg at a time to get the same buzz

I used to stupidly take up to 16-24mg daily, but learned the side effects were horrible along it being a waste of Bupe. I take no more than 4mg daily, and space my doses out by 1mg at a time, as I feel a full agonist effect, as they say..I never noticed a need to take more then 1mg at a time to get the same buzz

Before their servers burned down opiophile had a number of folks effectively using buprenorphine like this.

What was opiophile? Excuse my ignorance. To me it's just common sense, Bupe at very low doses acts as a full Agonist, at higher doses it acts as a partial Agonist with blockade features to it, plus at higher doses it feels very uncomfortable, for me at least. 2 mg is like the real ceiling level anyways to get acute effects at full Agonist levels, anything higher just saturates your receptors causing blockage from other opiates. The farthest that I will go is taking 4 milligrams at once, and even at that I can start to feel taking higher doses being a huge problem

opiophile was forum not unlike BL but focused exclusively on using opioids/opiates. There was a fire and their serves burned down and they couldn't get money to restore the site (or so I've been told). They closed their doors a few years right after I finally had joined. You can view the site using wayback machine (only to a limited extent sadly): http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://forum.opiophile.org/