• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Suboxone and Alcohol

Spacefiend

Greenlighter
When I am on subs, usually between around 1.75mg up to around 3 or 4mgs, I can drink alcohol just fine, but only for a few rounds. If I'm out with friends and we get to about the fifth round or so, I start to feel very nauseous and the beer/liquor/whatever starts to taste really bad. I will even start losing my booze buzz, like, with the quickness. Years ago when I was on subs at a different time in my life, and taking around 4mg per day, I could still hit the bars with my buds and throw 'em back all night. Now, I get five or six beers in me and I not only start to quickly sober up, but I seriously feel like I'm gonna yak all over the place.

Anyone else get nauseous from booze while on subs? Can anyone explain why this happens?

This could very much be related to something called Serotonin Syndrome (SS). Some people are just more susceptible to it than others. Many people do not know this, but some medical professionals say that after moderate to long term use of buprenorphine, symptoms can begin to occur. Especially if other drugs or alcohol are involved. If my hunch is true, this will only get worse over time. It is one of the reasons that I cannot be on suboxone for any longer than about 3 weeks. Other opiates can invoke this as well, but particularly suboxone. You can search the internet on the topic. Note that some of the lesser known medical info sites may have more detailed information. There is one medication that is prescribed for bouts of Serotonin Syndrome when they occur. It is called Cyprohepdatine. I usually keep it close by since I do not always know how meds or alcohol will react with me. It is an elusive thing. One study I read said that anyone who is on opiates for a long time will develop some form of Serotonin Syndrome. A great percentage of those people will never know it because symptoms will not be enough to raise any real concern. I am on the high sensitivity end of this syndrome, and must always tell a doctor before he/she prescribes new medication. I have had times where I felt like "this could be it, I'm going to croke", and I am not the type who scares easily or runs to doctors.

Severe episodes of this have lead to death. Fatality is pretty damn rare. No need to worry too much but do take it seriously. Prevention is fairly easy. If you happen to notice a re-occurrence when you are partying or have been prescribed a new drug, it very well could be SS. Drugs that are to be avoided and perhaps cause the worse episodes while you are on sub are... SSRIs, SSNRIs (psych meds), muscle relaxers, various health supplements.

I have had bouts of this that caused vomiting and very uneasy nausea for up to 36 hours. Massive headaches and neuropathic twitching also, there were times that I was in a real mess. Like emergency room mess. That was before I got the Cyproheptadine. You only need to take it when necessary and one bottle could last you a few years. Don't forget to take at least 12mg for SS as you need a fair amount to fight off an SS episode. Don't expect to feel better until after a few hours and back to normal possibly the next day. But having had this form some time now, I realize that the ER will do nothing but give me Cyproheptadine and cost a lot of money. Another way to know if this is SS or not is if the nausea meds of Promethezine and Zofran etc do not help your nausea. SS related nausea is usually not stopped by these types of meds. BTW, Cyproheptadine is a safe non-narcotic drug that is well tolerated by most people, still need a script though.

By and large, this is an easy thing to avoid. The less drugs you take or meds you are on, the less chance of this to pop up and get you.

Last edited:
This is most likely not related to serotonin syndrome and if it was you would want to go to the hospital. Mixing opiates with alcohol is extremely dangerous as well the alcohol is not likely to work well if you are a daily user of Suboxone. Serotonin Syndrome is a potentially lethal reaction that can result from say mixing and an MOAI with a stimulant or mixing DXM with MDMA. It is common to feel sick just from having a few drinks on top of Sub. In my experience being on Sub ruined my ability to enjoy a few drinks. Timetohunt do you have any academic sources to back up your claim that , "After moderate to long term use of buprenorphine symptoms can begin to occur" aside from a random anecdote from some doctor. What symptoms are you speaking of and are you referring to the idea that SS can develop after long term use of Suboxone? Here is an academic review about drug interactions between Buprenorphine as well as Methadone. Enzymes in the liver were discussed the most in the following source. Increasing the action of GABA combined with mu receptor activity results in a potentially lethal combination from mixing alcohol or sedatives with opiates like buprenorphine. The two combined will likely shut down your breathing due to their CNS depressing qualities if not closely monitored. (Elinore F McCance-Katz, et al 2012). "Drug Interactions of Clinical Importance Among Opioids, Methadone and Buprenorphine, and other Frequently Prescribed Medications: A Review"

Last edited:
This is most likely not related to serotonin syndrome and if it was you would want to go to the hospital. Mixing opiates with alcohol is extremely dangerous as well the alcohol is not likely to work well if you are a daily user of Suboxone. Serotonin Syndrome is a potentially lethal reaction that can result from say mixing and an MOAI with a stimulant or mixing DXM with MDMA. It is common to feel sick just from having a few drinks on top of Sub. In my experience being on Sub ruined my ability to enjoy a few drinks. Timetohunt do you have any academic sources to back up your claim that , "After moderate to long term use of buprenorphine symptoms can begin to occur" aside from a random anecdote from some doctor. What symptoms are you speaking of and are you referring to the idea that SS can develop after long term use of Suboxone? Here is an academic review about drug interactions between Buprenorphine as well as Methadone. Enzymes in the liver were discussed the most in the following source. Increasing the action of GABA combined with mu receptor activity results in a potentially lethal combination from mixing alcohol or sedatives with opiates like buprenorphine. The two combined will likely shut down your breathing due to their CNS depressing qualities if not closely monitored. (Elinore F McCance-Katz, et al 2012). "Drug Interactions of Clinical Importance Among Opioids, Methadone and Buprenorphine, and other Frequently Prescribed Medications: A Review"
Not being argumentative but you explained why he got sick but left out why he would sober up while drinking!

This is for sure not serotonin syndrome AT ALL . It's because alcohol has a partial opiate effect , and while using opiates especially after a long time alcohol comes down quickly it happens to me on IV H when j drink clean the drunkness stays. After you take opiates a long time your brain becomes tolerant to alcohol as well it's really weird , also especially if you take benzos from time to time

If I get off subs and all opiates in general, will I be able to enjoy booze again? I'm not a hardcore drinker, not a daily drinker, but I would definitely like to go out and hang with my friends and not have these reactions. So if I get off subs (which I am currently trying to do...I'm weaning down), will I "reset" back to being a "normal" drinker?