• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Study Shows Merck Hepatitis C Drug Cures Addicts (not addiction though)

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Study Shows Merck Hepatitis C Drug Cures Addicts
Doni Bloomfield
November 14, 2015

State Medicaid programs often restrict access to new cures
Trial with experimental therapy successful with IV drug users

Hepatitis C patients who use intravenous drugs were cured at a high rate by Merck & Co.’s experimental therapy, a study found, a result that could put pressure on U.S. states to more broadly cover new treatments for a group that’s at high risk of reinfection.

Many states require people with hepatitis C to prove that they abstain from drug use before getting covered through Medicaid, the U.S.’s state-run health program for the poor. In Merck’s study of 301 intravenous drug users, 95 percent of patients treated in the trial were cured of the virus, Merck said Saturday in a statement. In addition, 97 percent of patients took at least 95 percent of their hepatitis C drugs. Patients in the trial were also taking daily medicine to treat opioid addiction.

Intravenous drug users are the “hot core” of people with hepatitis C, according to Eliav Barr, head of infectious diseases at Merck, and few large studies have looked at the effectiveness of new oral therapies in treating them. A U.S. government study found that nearly half of young people who have ever injected narcotics like prescription painkillers or heroin have the virus, which spreads easily through needles.

“These are not-out-of control folks who are strung out on the street,” Barr said by phone on Wednesday. “They’re much more emblematic of people who are IV drug users who are trying to kick the habit.”
State Restrictions

State Medicaid programs have in many cases put restrictions on new hepatitis C treatments made by Gilead Sciences Inc. and AbbVie Inc. While the treatments are highly effective, governments have balked at list prices that can exceed $1,000 a day.

In a study published in June examining coverage policies in 42 Medicaid programs, about half required a period of drug abstinence before they’d cover treatment, and 64 percent required urine tests for drugs. Earlier this month the federal government warned states that they may be violating the law if they fail to provide people on Medicaid with the drugs they need for hepatitis C.

“This is going to be that ‘no excuses’ moment -- you cannot keep denying people with substance-abuse histories or even active substance abuse access to effective treatment,” Daniel Raymond, policy director for the advocacy group Harm Reduction Coalition, said by phone on Wednesday. “This kind of data is what we’ve been waiting for to say that processes that prohibit coverage of treatment for active drug users is de facto discriminatory.”
Illegal Drugs

Most patients in the study were still using illegal drugs, with 59 percent using non-prescribed compounds like cocaine or amphetamines. The trial examined patients with three of the six major strains of hepatitis C and found the drug had high cure rates in all except for a type known as genotype 6, in which about 60 percent of patients were cured.

When the company included those who dropped out the study for reasons unrelated to the drug, or who were reinfected after initially having their virus cleared, the cure rate was 92 percent.

The trial may help Merck, whose therapy is still in development, eventually gain coverage of the drug with states and health insurers. The drugmaker has been chasing Gilead and AbbVie, in part by going after difficult-to-treat cases. Last month the drugmaker said an experimental combination therapy was effective against two strains of the virus after eight weeks, shorter than the usual 12-week course of treatment from current drugs.

Please click on to support source http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-drug-cures-addicts-could-pressure-u-s-states

This sounds like good news.
Nice to see they are removing the curtain a little on greedy med companies

I know first hand about insurance companies denying treatment for HCV. I fought and fought with them till they eventually dropped me. They are the true death panels, not obamacare or single payer healthcare.

I have no idea why HCV cures are so expensive. You have a huge population of people that are more than likely willing to test your drugs for free. Also, if it is something that can help the population I think the altruistic approach would be for the government to subsidize the treatment (aka medicaid), and merck to try making money on some of the other pharmacopoeia of products they have. In the long run it is more expensive to treat the problems associated with the virus than the actual virus.

I for one am at the stage that the negative effects of having the virus are keeping me from working due to intense fatigue all the time. The malaise has really negatively affected my life. I know that since I have lots of scarring in my liver I will never be at 100%, but if I could arrest the scarring of my liver and be proactive about staying healthy I might be able to achieve some quality of life.

Yea, it baffled me why the newest drug therapy is so expensive too. It costs next to nothing to produce. Then I realized it was about greed. They now that the population who needs their product has relatively very little political clout, and is a fairly circumscribed thing. Who wants their product to be associated with junkies either? And of course, they are a greedy bunch. There really is no reason other than that, greed, and the knowledge that they can get away with it. It's very telling.

This sounds like good news.
Nice to see they are removing the curtain a little on greedy med companies

I blame the states more. Of course the price of the drugs are ridiculous but any state could allow them to be covered on Medicaid, no strings attached, if they chose.

But like always, there are no forward thinking people in these states and addicts are dismissed because of belief rather than fact.

Yea because everyone strumg out on dope with hep c has 84k for treatment ...I've read that in Egypt you can get thisedicine for 800us...could be bs but I KNOW there is no way this shit could be expensive enough to synth to make it fetch a price of like 1000 a day. Is the capsule filled with crushed diamond and gold? Maybe there's antimatter in there? That seems to be pretty expensive lol

It is a cash grab. Over time it will pay for itself. It is why drug companies make lots of different drugs. They also lobby generic companies to not make certain drugs. It is extremely profit motivated.