• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Studies on the relationship between GABAergic system and 5-ht ?

Bare_head

Bluelighter
Hey guys

Few questions.

1) In my understanding all of the brain is linked? Its one whole thing afterall correct?

2) the GABAergic system and the 5-ht system are linked in some way? (For example some benzodiazepines mainly work on the GABA receptors and some has some 5-ht activity?)

3) do psychedelics that work on the 5-ht stystem have any activity on the Gabaergic system? If so is a direct or indirectly effected?

4) can someone explain the relationship/studies on 5-ht system and anxiety.

5)Can someone show me a study on the direct link between 5-HT and the GABAergic system

6) can someone point me in the right direction on how to understand the relationship of all different brain parts and the relationship with the nervous system

Thank you

ScienceDirect Search Results - Keywords(GABA 5ht)

Sciencedirect used together with sci-hub as well as pubmed are currently the best resources about such topics I know of. And wikipedia for the basics of course.

1) Would say yes.
2) Again, but don't know any details. Would say there is little direct effects from GABA -> 5HT but maybe the other way round.
3) Would guess psychedelics/5ht2a exert inhibitory effects on GABA. But GABAergics can be hallucinogen on their own if you take the right combo.
4) 5ht1a agonism is said to decrease anxiety. Surges of 5HT would say can do both (see initial SSRI vs. serotonin releaser), like can 5ht2a. Somehow the brain involves consciousness imho and can't be explained purely chemical. Maybe someday we'll have a complete theory though somehow I doubt it unless they begin to seriously research DMT and parapsychological things etc.. and in humans, we're not rats after all even when the little lonely cage thing does apply to part of us.
5) I'll post if I stumble upon some.
6) Interested myself.

Sorry, hope somebody else is able to shed more light into this.