• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Struggling to stay sober with an Alcohol Addiction

Loozer_Magnet

Bluelighter
When did my life become so unbearable that I need to drink to the point of blacking out just to cope? Why can't I just have a glass of wine with dinner and stop there? My drinking has gotten completely out of hand. I found myself standing in front of the kitchen sink last night with a bottle of cleaner in my hand weighing the pros and con's of living. I wanted to down just one last bottle. The bottle of cleaner. I've known for a while that I have an addiction. I've told myself many times that today will be the day I give it up. I lie to myself every single time. But not just myself. Everyone I know. Why doesn't anyone ever really try to stop me? Why does nobody understand that I need help? I've asked for help but nobody takes it serious. I feel like I am standing on the edge of a cliff where a single gust of wind could send me over. I know what your thinking "suicide is not the answer".. But the truth is, I'm already killing myself. Every drink is bringing me closer to death. My body has already started to deteriorate. Living is painful. Physically and emotionally. I need out of this hole I've dug for myself. But how? I really need to change. I am begging for help. Can anyone hear me?

Hi, LM.

I'm so sorry to hear what a dark spot you've found yourself in. There's so much I'd like to write to you. But let me start with this... You aren't alone, no matter how much it feels like you are. It's a huge step that you have asked for help, and it really really sucks that those requests haven't been answered. Unfortunately, our friends and family often have no idea what addiction is or how they can help someone with a substance abuse problem. And unfortunately, this can lead people to minimize the suffering of folks like us. It doesn't mean they don't want to help; it just means they don't know how.

On the other hand, lots of us here on the Sober Living (SL) forum *do* understand at least the broad strokes of how you're feeling.

If you're interested (just as an example), you might take a look at the thread I started documenting my own recovery. The title of the thread is 'I can't go on, I'll go on." I mention it only because it sounds like we've been in some similar situations. Though the drugs are different (my main problem was heroin... but in this respect, that difference is minor). In August of 2016 I was so trapped and depressed that suicide was all I could think of aside from using. I'm mentioning this because things have gotten so much better since then. Back in August I never would have believed that I could escape from the shitstorm I was in. Now, life isn't perfect...but it has gotten way better. And I know that a similar change for the good is possible for you, too.

So please, keep posting here. We care, and we'll help however we can.

In terms of moving forward with some more concrete advice, it might help if you could answer a couple questions. Though only if you're up for it and at your own pace.

For instance

About how much do you tend to drink per day? And about how long has this been going on? These questions can help you (and people working with you) to decide if you need a medically supervised detox.

Have you tried quitting before? If so, did you ever rely on external resources like an inpatient or outpatient rehab? When we're really deep into an addiction, quitting on our own can be *extremely* hard. Although many rehabs are disappointing, it is the case that sometimes we need the kind of structure and time away from ourselves that they offer. Personally, I hated my rehab (an outpatient one) at first. But in the end, I think that deciding to seek that level of help was a large part of what got me pointed in the right direction.

Do you work with a therapist/psychiatrist or similar? When suicide is on the radar, it's important to consider whether an issue like depression might be at work alongside the addiction itself. Also, a skilled therapist can help those feelings that nobody understands what you're going through.

OK, I don't want this post to get too long, so I'm going to sign off for now. Feel free to answer any of the questions I've asked (including none of them if you don't feel like it). But I do hope you can step back from the suicide precipice. Maybe you could try to make an agreement with yourself that you won't make an attempt *today* or even for a couple days? No need to try to make bigger promises than that.

Asking for help--even if it doesn't lead to much at first--is a huge first step. You're doing the hard work already. Things get better from here. They really do.

<3
Sim

PS. Please feel free to send me a PM if you are really feeling sketchy. I've stood on that ledge, feeling like a good wind could blow me away. I'm happy just to listen. Please take care, OK?

My drinking started 10 years ago. Back then I was working at a bar and was drinking merely for fun. I sobered up when I got pregnant with my oldest daughter. I stayed mostly sober for several years. Only drinking occasionally. About 2 and a half years ago after the birth of my second daughter I started drinking more frequently.

The more often I drank, the more it felt like a necessity. After 6 months I found out I was pregnant again, and at that point I needed professional help to stop drinking during my pregnancy. I was admitted into an outpatient program and was diagnosed with depression and anxiety. I was prescribed 100mg of Zoloft. It helped a lot. But alas, once my son was born I lost my health coverage through Medicaid so I was unable to afford my doctors visits. So I self medicated with alcohol again..

This past year and a half has been the worst in terms of my addiction. It started out with a once a week binge and quickly spiraled into getting black out drunk several times a week. Last night was my breaking point. I made the horrible (horrible is definitely an understatement) decision to drink and drive. I ended up rear ending someone. Luckily nobody was hurt and there was minimal damage to both vehicles.

The guy was very nice about the whole situation and agreed not to call the police. He knew I had been drinking. He could smell it on my breath. Surprisingly enough, he took a $100 cash payoff for the damages and left the scene. I was relieved at how easy it was to deescalate the issue at that moment it put a fear in me I had not known before. I've always known drinking and driving is dangerous, but I had never gotten into an accident before, therefore, I had always felt invincible. But in that moment I felt the most vulnerable I have ever felt and was so ashamed of myself. Before last night, the worst that had ever happened was a hangover.

When I got home I fell apart. I knew I had messed up worse than I ever had before. In my drunken stupor I decided that if I can't stop myself from drinking for real this time, then I would just have to stop living. I don't want to hurt anyone. I've been hurting myself for so long but realizing how close I came to hurting someone else was enough of an eye opener. I don't want to hurt anymore or end up hurting someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. It's very helpful. I'm going to touch on some of the details/medical stuff in a separate post (unfortunately, I gotta rush out the door for a couple hours soon but will write more after my appt). Meanwhile, I wanted to touch on the event with the driving.

Of course you're right that driving while we're high or drunk is bad news. And I don't in any way mean to minimize how traumatic that accident must have been. But it's a big leap from that behavior to suicide. By saying this, I'm not trying to tell you that the issue wasn't "bad enough" to merit feeling suicidal...that's totally beside the point. What I am trying to say is that it sounds like the accident became one of those windows where we suddenly see that things have gotten really rough and we don't like what we see in ourselves. Those glimpses can be *incredibly* scary and unsettling. I think you're absolutely right to consider this a good moment to change. But I want to reassure you that it won't keep feeling so raw. This may simply wind up being the moment you gain the insight you need to move forward with your life.

You're not doomed to hurt people, LM. Things can start changing for the better today.

OK, I have to dash out now. But I'll be back online in a couple hours.

Be kind to yourself, LM.
<3
Sim

I have to say that I agree with Sim.

I got a DWI last year. I wasn't very drunk and I had pulled into a parking lot so a friend could look up directions on his phone. But I was super scared and opted not to blow. I was terrified of getting something on my record that my employer could dig up (which happens in my industry). It cost me over ten thousand dollars by the time all is said and done, which I did not have - I'm a single mom w a mortgage and I do everything on my own. Not to mention needing rides to every baseball practice and school event for my son. It SUCKED.

But my point is, I read a quote after that that really resonated with me:

""First, we hear a whisper. A whisper is the little voice inside our minds that senses something is amiss. When we disregard the whisper, the universe tosses a pebble at our heads to remind us to pay attention. Look around you and adjust accordingly, the pebble warns.

When we ignore the pebble, we get a brick. The brick is the crisis in our life that knocks us down and disorients us. If we continue to move forward without change, eventually an entire wall will topple over and crush us, signaling that full-blown disaster is in effect."

Let that night be your pebble. I applaud you for reaching out to the people here and knowing to ask for help. So many people don't.

You can do this, lady <3

Good morning, LM. Just wanted to say hi. Did you get through the weekend OK?

I know what you mean about not being able to stop once you've started. It's not alcohol with me, but opiates. If I start with opiates, I will continue to use until they're gone if I have them. Absolutely no ability to stop once I've started. To some extent, I also used to use methamphetamine that way, but I never considered it an addiction because I found it easy to give up, no withdrawal, etc.

Stay strong. You're not alone. Knowing you have a problem with your use means you can avoid it completely, and you can surround yourself with people who do not use alcohol, or who are willing and totally able to never use around you. <3

""First, we hear a whisper. A whisper is the little voice inside our minds that senses something is amiss. When we disregard the whisper, the universe tosses a pebble at our heads to remind us to pay attention. Look around you and adjust accordingly, the pebble warns.

When we ignore the pebble, we get a brick. The brick is the crisis in our life that knocks us down and disorients us. If we continue to move forward without change, eventually an entire wall will topple over and crush us, signaling that full-blown disaster is in effect."

Let that night be your pebble. I applaud you for reaching out to the people here and knowing to ask for help. So many people don't.

Sooooo good! This is where it is at IMO. Though our DOCs are different OP (I'm more into opioids like heroin than gabaergic stuff like booze), I wasn't really able to start getting things in order until I became aware of just how fragile everything is in life (which is to say, it wasn't until I started getting arrested for drug related stuff that I began to take steps necessary to get to a healthier place).

Jordan's post reminds me of Portia Nelson's Autobiography in Five Short Chapters:

I

I walk down the street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk
I fall in.
I am lost ... I am helpless.
It isn't my fault.
It takes me forever to find a way out.​

II

I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I pretend I don't see it.
I fall in again.