• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Growing Strange white stuff

kenlee

Bluelighter
SqMRNJH.jpg

There’s strange white stuff growing in my soil, I removed a layer of soil, stopped watering it it once and it came back days later.There is no signs of this anywhere else, the room was clean, the soil was clean,the airflow good

what is it and how to treat it ?

That's a fungal mycelium mate. It's not necessarily a bad thing as long as it's the right type. Are you using a soil that's been prepared specifically for cannabis? If so, then the appropriate spores may have been already added.

That's a fungal mycelium mate. It's not necessarily a bad thing as long as it's the right type. Are you using a soil that's been prepared specifically for cannabis? If so, then the appropriate spores may have been already added.
This is just standard soil, it was boiled before hand so it was sterile, but I may have over watered it, it’s in the veg stage

This is just standard soil, it was boiled before hand so it was sterile, but I may have over watered it, it’s in the veg stage

I wouldn't worry, a mycelium is often beneficial for plants. Fungal spores are airborne so even though you sterilised the soil they can still take hold.

Here's an article I found explaining it all:

I'd treat it with neem oil unless you are certain it's the beneficial kind of fungus FUBAR is talking about.

I like to use neem oil not only on the plant itself (obviously pre-flower stage) as a pesticide but the soil as well to prevent bad fungus and mildew/mold growth.

I certainly would not neem your soil.

I would stop “boiling” your soil. Why would you do this? I would use a microbial tea like veganic special sauce or addition like great white.

Read part of a book teaming with microbes so you understand how microorganisms work as far as nutrition absorption in plants.

Last edited:

I would stop “boiling” your soil. Why would you do this? I would use a microbial tea like veganic special sauce or addition like great white.

Read part of a book teaming with microbes so you understand how microorganisms work as far as nutrition absorption in plants.

because the soil is prone to fungus gnats, every bag I’ve brought has hatched them even from different sources, so to kill the eggs you pour 1 pint of boiling water which doesn’t flush out the goodness but kills nasties.

I’ve treated it with diluted peroxide and also vinegar. The plants are young they should be able to cope. I could do with growing some good kind of bacteria in the soil to fight it off

What substrate are you using? Yes when we know about the microbiology and how it interacts with the root and soil environment we really start to understand how to maximize output and quality. By creating the optimum condition we minimize the risk of pathogens.

Not to toot my own horn, but I know what I’m talking about and own records for amount and quality in the warehouse district in Denver. Read part of this to expand your knowledge of the system under the soil. Roots Roots Roots

I simply use a spray bottle with no more than 1:100 neem oil to water ratio. I would gently wet the plants and the top of the soil.

gnats usually come into the soil if it's too wet on top. maybe try bottom watering and keeping it dry on the surface. mold will also be more likely to grow on the surface if overly wet, and sterilizing it beforehand might make this worse because you'd kill other microorganisms which would compete with the airborne fungus spores.

Last edited:
Sterilizing the soil basically provides a clean slate for any new microorganisms, it won't prevent them for any length of time in the open air. Mycorrhizal fungi can be beneficial, but what you have looks like wet cobweb mould to me, Hypomyces rosellus.

Treating it with vinegar killed them all so I’m out of luck, I think it was mold, no more boiling soil or using vinegar