• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Strange reaction to diazepam, need advice

sadmachine

Bluelighter
I took 5mg of prescribed Diazepam followed by 2 small bong hits last night and had a very untypical experience. I had extremely large pupils, high heart rate, intense anxiety/panic and my temperature kept blowing up and down to the high 37's. I was very shaky/shivering and it was really hard to calm myself down. Typically 5mg + some weed is a very relaxing chilled experience for me. Woke up today and it is now 19 hours later and I feel extremely benzo'd out. My resting heart rate is uncharacteristically low (60-69), I feel very relaxed but extremely lethargic and weak, eyes have that droopy benzo'd out look to them and overall I look and feel like i've just eaten a huge dose. I've never had a benzo addiction, but I have a decent amount of experience with them in the past mainly with Clonazepam.

At first I worried about serotonin syndrome, but the only other things I take are a regular multi-vitamin and occasionally melatonin and weed and from what i've read benzo's alone don't really cause SS. I also get the large pupils + restlessness etc symptons from Oxycodone when I haven't done it in a while but only the first time in a new binge.

I took 5mg of prescribed Diazepam followed by 2 small bong hits last night and had a very untypical experience. I had extremely large pupils, high heart rate, intense anxiety/panic and my temperature kept blowing up and down to the high 37's. I was very shaky/shivering and it was really hard to calm myself down. Typically 5mg + some weed is a very relaxing chilled experience for me. Woke up today and it is now 19 hours later and I feel extremely benzo'd out. My resting heart rate is uncharacteristically low (60-69), I feel very relaxed but extremely lethargic and weak, eyes have that droopy benzo'd out look to them and overall I look and feel like i've just eaten a huge dose. I've never had a benzo addiction, but I have a decent amount of experience with them in the past mainly with Clonazepam.

At first I worried about serotonin syndrome, but the only other things I take are a regular multi-vitamin and occasionally melatonin and weed and from what i've read benzo's alone don't really cause SS. I also get the large pupils + restlessness etc symptons from Oxycodone when I haven't done it in a while but only the first time in a new binge.
Did you get the symptoms of anxiety etc. after you smoked the weed? It sounds like you may have had an anxiety attack and the Diazepam didn't quite take it away.
I really don't think diazepam and cannabis can give you serotonin syndrome alone. Are you taking any other drugs, prescribed or not?
Sounds like you should be ok.

Weed sometimes causes me anxiety and i've been smoking it for decades and i'm on clonzepam. When i smoke and get anxious the clonzepam don't seem to work at all.

This is a new one.

The raising of your temperature and the pupils issue is a little worrisome. My first thought was that you potentially had some random drug in counterfeit Diazepam IValium) tablets. It sound like they're from a prescription bottle though, so that is out.

I guess if you actually had a decent fever it would be worth asking more questions. If I'm not mistaken, I'm American after all, you're talking about something right around 100 which some would call a low-grade fever. I've had temps in the high 90's before without explicit cause though. It's not really a cause for alarm without other symptoms.

I'm sure you're probably aware, but if not, the pupils react to the effects of drugs and light, but can also dilate as a result of stress/danger/anxiety. This is basically the body trying to let some more light into the pupil to help you see the potential danger more clearly.

I think with all of this in mind, the most logical answer here is that you had a panic/anxiety attack from the Cannabis. It happens even to seasoned users. Then once you're high and the paranoia kicks in, your pupils probably dilated a little bit. Perhaps your racing heart produced a slightly-elevated pulse.

I would advise anyone with concern for their health to seek medical advice. If you ask me, I think you're probably fine. If you had a higher temperature or your pupils were different sizes (serious business) then I'd be more worried.

Yea I'm also wondering where you got the diazepam pills, that's an odd reaction. Did you get them from a pharmacy or the street/markets?

Just wanted to give an update, the diazepam was from the pharmacy. I think in my laymen's guess it was just some personal reaction relating to GABA/Serotogenic changes after not having it for awhile. First time I ever took Clonazepam a similar thing happened and when I take an 20mg oxy for the first time after a long break I get something similar also.

Have been taking the diaz spontaneously since this happened (with weed also) and it hasn't happened since.

Just wanted to give an update, the diazepam was from the pharmacy. I think in my laymen's guess it was just some personal reaction relating to GABA/Serotogenic changes after not having it for awhile. First time I ever took Clonazepam a similar thing happened and when I take an 20mg oxy for the first time after a long break I get something similar also.

Have been taking the diaz spontaneously since this happened (with weed also) and it hasn't happened since.
After carefully reading the entire thread there is not too much to add to this, of course the stated possible cause is most likely but just monitor your self and make sure you don't have another adverse reaction, do keep in mind sometimes substances can mask a simple natural issue or simply all together make you think something that isn't is wrong but just make sure you keep an eye on it happening again.