View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Storing Tryptamines

ungelesene_bettlek

Bluelighter
I am storing Tryptamines over almost 10 years now, and nothing has gone wrong. The only problem is, I keep them at rom temperature. Can I stay them this way for 50 years from now, even freebases?

idk I've seen 5-MeO-DMT free base turn into an ugly but still quite effective red goo. most important thing though is keeping them away from moisture, Vacpac for long term storage; at room temperature for reasonable values of room temperature most things should be good enough for a long time even if they start to look a little off. a freezer is definitely overkill and refrigerator also both possibly counterproductive

In my opinion, if you want to store tryptamines for a real long time, you need to store them in the freezer in airtight vials. Be sure to let them adjust to room temperature before you open them though.

The 4 substituted tryptamines seem to be the really fragile ones. Simple tryptamines or 5 substituted might be much more stable.
I personaly keep everything in the fridge as Incunabula recommends.

In my opinion, if you want to store tryptamines for a real long time, you need to store them in the freezer in airtight vials. Be sure to let them adjust to room temperature before you open them though.

I agree. Everything I have from LSD to DMT is in the freezer, but as Incunabula already pointed out, let the container adjust to room temp...as in all sweat off of container and and not cool to the touch. Even a few seconds in the warm air is enough to start something cold sweating.
Personally, I tend toward overkill, better safe than sorry. So I keep all my rec drugs in a vac sealed jar as well.
Stored like this they'll outlive me.

So, an overkill answer for an overkill solution.
Now that I think of it, maybe they're at room temp because you can't safely use the freezer? If so, keep them in a bottom drawer or shelf away from sunlight in a cool room, unless of course, you have kids or pets that could get into them down low.
I mean we're talking LONG term storage, right?

It's possible to store even tryptamines that way for a very long time, as long as you are able to protect it from enough factors involved in degradation - a bit like the fire triangle. If you don't store it at cold temperatures for example, I think it's that much more sensitive to degradation reactions if you are unlucky enough to have exposure to certain impurities, oxygen, moisture...

The long term storage works if you can create conditions that are very unfavorable to degradation reactions. Since it's not always that easy to know for sure if your conditions are good enough, you usually want to do everything you can to help your case. If you don't you run risks.

also stability is key; sudden change in temperature could spell disaster eg if frozen and the power goes out or whatever it might be trouble. if stored long term frozen needs gradual de freeze and very careful steps to avoide accumulating moisture as a lot of them are hygroscopic which will first be evident in them going a bit off color which doesn't necessarily equate to a huge decrease in potency tho if like the 5-MeO-goo I mentioned above the texture changes maybe so although that was freebase
but as I said I think freezing is overkill. vac seal in a dry dark place and it should be good enough for use decades in the future. just my opinion/conjecture.
keeping in these conditions in solution of at least 70 or so % EtOH but again very carefully sealed to prevent evaporation might also be a good idea

There is no reason to not freeze as long as you do the defrosting stepwise like you said, not allowing fresh air and moisture to condense on the cold substances, doesn't have to be hygroscopic to attract condensation. If you're talking about decades for tryptamines I don't think it's very easy to overkill. Vacuum sealing is good, but you don't always know how pure your product is and don't want to give any destabilizing conditions any chance.

Not only do reactions double in rate roughly every 10C or so, but for some there can be an energy threshold which means that temperature can be important.

Storing in solution is a bad idea for many tryptamines which do various things like N-oxidize, but if you insist, definitely freeze your ethanolic solution, maybe adding something like ascorbic acid helps but I can't be certain.

You're certainly right though that stability esp for temperature is very important and arguably at least as important as the storage temperature itself, depending on the conditions. The sudden heat wave can be terrible (so don't speed it up when you are trying to avoid that condensation), but I actually have doubts that sudden freezing is quite as bad. It's certainly not how I remember cryogenics.