• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Staying clean after Vivitrol

PhantomBride

Greenlighter
Hey everyone! For 9 years I had an out of control IV heroin addiction. This past May I just had enough, lost everything and my health was declining because I had lost so much weight. I went to rehab, did a 7 day Subutex detox and stayed 28 days to complete the program. Two days after leaving rehab I got the Vivitrol shot. It's been a miracle for me, I still get some cravings but they aren't as intense. My doctor recommended I stay on it for a year, and thats what I plan on doing. My only fear is what happens once I stop getting the injection. I removed myself from all people, places and things that triggered me and am working a 12 step program. I finally have my psych meds right as well, but still have this lingering thought of having intense craving and drug dreams after I get off Vivitrol. Has anyone received Vivitrol and remained clean when they stopped? Did you feel different in any way?

Not quite a direct answer to your question, but maybe relevant...

I'm one month clean from a 4-year IV heroin habit, and part of my recovery this time involves a daily regimen of oral naltrexone (as I bet you know, this is the same medication in vivitrol, just w/o the time-release feature). I have also found it to be a godsend. I have no idea WHY... from what I've read, there's scant evidence that it should help with opiate cravings. Nevertheless, I do feel much more in control than I did during past quits.

The reason I bring it up is that my doc specifically told me that in theory, I could stay on the naltrexone for many years without likely side effects. And it's feasible to do this because the oral naltrexone is cheap as shit.

So, would it be possible for you to transition from the vivitrol shot to a program of oral naltrexone at some point? That would bring the cost way down, and it's extremely easy to tolerate. I guess the big question would be whether you see yourself as likely to comply with taking the daily naltrexone pill.

Of course, maybe you want to be off it altogether... I can well understand that, though haven't gotten there yet myself :).

To say you can stay on naltrexone for a number of years, the implication being you can stay on it almost indefinitely, without any chance of significant side effects is simply not at all an accurate statement. As with any medication, the probability of significant side effects and complications occurring increases over time. The more years you stay on any given medication, the highly the likelihood of developing complications becomes.

That does not mean the potential benefits of being on naltrexone for someone struggling with substance use disorder(s) will not necessarily outweigh the potential costs of remaining on the medication for the same amount of time. However, it does mean that the likelihood of the costs of remaining on the medication tend to outweigh the benefits the longer one remains on the medication.

Getting on any medication to treat any condition for a significant length of time (in other words, weeks to months to years) is not something that should ever be taken lightly. Should you stress out about it? No. Should you reflect carefully on your motives and goals for doing so before starting any course of treatment that will last a significant amount of time? Hell fucking yeah :)

Just remember that the lack of cravings is not from the naltrexone per se. Its from the knowledge that you cant get high. If anything Naltrexone is blocking your bodies natural feel good chemicals so you SHOULD feel better once you are off of it.

Well said cj. There is no quick fix of pharmaceutical panacea when it comes to the harms caused by unhealthy patterns of substance use. I am so proud of you by the way cj. Keep up the good work!

I got your pm and will try and check in with you as soon as possible. My maternal grandmother just had a stroke this morning and is on the way out, it is a matter of days at this point but I get the feeling she is ready. So yeah, lots of last minute changes when it comes to my Thanksgiving plans. I will reach out when I can though and say hi :)

I stayed on Vivitrol for 8 months after leaving rehab and I feel like it reset my addiction. It's been almost three years and I still haven't had a craving. You know yourself best - make sure you have a relapse prevention plan in place for times of stress. I also recommend before you stop the shot get a prescription of naltrexone pills to keep on hand for times of emergency. Feel free to message me if you have questions. Good luck!