• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids Starting Work - Odd Situation

pharaoh

Bluelighter
So I recently, unexpectedly and very quickly got offered a good job which I am excited to take. However, I haven't worked full time for quite a while and so am naturally stressed (there are other stressors in my life which add to it all, but everything is fairly manageable). The thing is, I have had the Buvidal therapy, which for those who don't know is long-life buprenorphine injections which allow for you to come off with minimal-to-no withdrawals, in theory (has a different brand name in the States - dunno where else it has been tried). I had my last jab over 6 weeks ago and I have started to have minor symptoms, i.e. gastric but also quite intense cravings and general dysphoria and high anxiety/stress levels, as well as insomnia. I start the job soon and nearly went to score some H but talked myself out of it after arguing with my partner. She was right and I knew in my heart of hearts that it would be a really dumb idea - I have no dealers here as I have moved and would have to approach a "street person" and risk getting arrested/ripped off and all that, just for a crappy bag that I would've regretted anyway. I confess that I did a CWE using codeine and had two beers, which did make me feel a lot better. I've been using diazepam for anxiety but my tolerance is too high and I want to taper off it, which I think my plan will help with.

Now, I know that the W/Ds could be in my head more than fully physical, though the cravings were really tough and the gastric upset reminded me of "that time", but the only way to be sure would be to do a urine test and I've heard of people having bupe in their system long after their last jab. But even then, the low levels in my blood could contribute to withdrawal symptoms, especially with added stress and all that, right? Plus metabolism etc. and I have been exercising a lot more than when I was using. It is nothing like a full rattle, but there are familiar symptoms and the depression/irritability is almost unbearable. This leads me to my question, based on all of the above, can I (theoretically) be safe taking pregabalin responsibly and going into a new job? I've used it before, recreationally, but I have found it to be great for anxiety, depression and also opiate withdrawals (I personally think that they should be on hand for anybody who may be going through them or about to, and doctors should prescribe them on that basis) and so I wondered about using small doses of it just to ease into this new experience. I don't want to get "high", I just want the negative symptoms I am experiencing to go away. The doctor has been useless and, as I say, this has all happened very quickly. As part of the Buvidal treatment, there is a "comfort pack" available for W/Ds, which includes imodium (which I've already been using), paracetamol, zopiclone (for sleeping, obv) and two other medicines which I cannot remember the names for. There is one that is prescribed for nausea, but it is some kind of first generation anti-psychotic/sedative which I used before and was horrible. Basically a zombie drug and anybody who has used those old antipsychotics will understand. It is only prescribed now for nausea AFAIK, although I vaguely remember reading that they might inject a person with it if they were in a full-blown psychotic episode in some emergency cases. I will recommend that, as part of the comfort pack, they include a small course of low-dose pregabalin for W/Ds when I give feedback, as I am essentially a guinae pig as this treatment is trialled, and I was chosen as I am fairly stable due to doing fairly well in my recovery (set-backs here and there but when are there not?).

But anyway, what would be considered a "safe" dose, based on how it is prescribed for anxiety? I know that some people are prescribed it for anxiety but I can only get it in 300mg capsules which I believe is too high for my purposes. Obviously I will have to empty capsules and weigh out appropriate doses. I know someone that was prescribed it for nerve damage and never experienced any kind of "high" or whatever, and I believe that the lowest prescribed dose is 75mgs. Would that be correct? I want to use it safely and do my job effectively. I also have to break it to my partner as she saw me at my worst when using this stuff on top of booze, H, benzos and anything else I could get my hands on after a bereavement, but I want to reassure her that this is well thought out self-medication to make the best of my job.

Any advice would be appreciated. I know that this isn't a medical forum but in terms of peoples' experiences and knowledge, I really could do with some advice. I want to give it my best and basically aide my recovery effectively so that it doesn't interfere with the new job. When you get the Buvidal jab, you actually get quite high due to the high levels of bupe (I never got that from the sublingual tablets) and, if I'd have known that I was going to get a job so quickly, I would've had an extra jab (it was offered) but I wanted to move on - little did I know that I'd get a job just as the bupe was starting to leave my system. Everything has just happened so quickly and I want to make the most of it.

Please be careful with pregabalin as there are many negative effects. The withdrawal is horrendous, it throws off your balance giving the appearance you're drunk or something. It affects coordination and makes my thinking foggy, not a good look as a brand new employee. I did the positive fx diminish drastically after about a week too.
If you must take this route, I'd say 75mg as a test to see where that gets you but if personally take 300mg but I've been taking it on-,off for years and I'm quite big.

Thank you for the replies guys. I have started with low doses (for me - I have a benzo habit and imagine there is cross tolerance although I'm not sure - I will find out). I have been described as excited and in a good mood, not drunk. Didn't feel wobbly or have the double vision. I remember that from abusing it but that was when it first came on the scene and everyone was eating them like candy (they still are I know, more so). But I believe that in small doses, it can help with the depression that comes with coming off of opiates. Improved mood, being enthusiastic etc. Also decreased my benzo use over the last few days.

Wish me luck - I will be careful and I appreciate the well thought out replies.

So I recently, unexpectedly and very quickly got offered a good job which I am excited to take. However, I haven't worked full time for quite a while and so am naturally stressed (there are other stressors in my life which add to it all, but everything is fairly manageable). The thing is, I have had the Buvidal therapy, which for those who don't know is long-life buprenorphine injections which allow for you to come off with minimal-to-no withdrawals, in theory (has a different brand name in the States - dunno where else it has been tried). I had my last jab over 6 weeks ago and I have started to have minor symptoms, i.e. gastric but also quite intense cravings and general dysphoria and high anxiety/stress levels, as well as insomnia. I start the job soon and nearly went to score some H but talked myself out of it after arguing with my partner. She was right and I knew in my heart of hearts that it would be a really dumb idea - I have no dealers here as I have moved and would have to approach a "street person" and risk getting arrested/ripped off and all that, just for a crappy bag that I would've regretted anyway. I confess that I did a CWE using codeine and had two beers, which did make me feel a lot better. I've been using diazepam for anxiety but my tolerance is too high and I want to taper off it, which I think my plan will help with.

Now, I know that the W/Ds could be in my head more than fully physical, though the cravings were really tough and the gastric upset reminded me of "that time", but the only way to be sure would be to do a urine test and I've heard of people having bupe in their system long after their last jab. But even then, the low levels in my blood could contribute to withdrawal symptoms, especially with added stress and all that, right? Plus metabolism etc. and I have been exercising a lot more than when I was using. It is nothing like a full rattle, but there are familiar symptoms and the depression/irritability is almost unbearable. This leads me to my question, based on all of the above, can I (theoretically) be safe taking pregabalin responsibly and going into a new job? I've used it before, recreationally, but I have found it to be great for anxiety, depression and also opiate withdrawals (I personally think that they should be on hand for anybody who may be going through them or about to, and doctors should prescribe them on that basis) and so I wondered about using small doses of it just to ease into this new experience. I don't want to get "high", I just want the negative symptoms I am experiencing to go away. The doctor has been useless and, as I say, this has all happened very quickly. As part of the Buvidal treatment, there is a "comfort pack" available for W/Ds, which includes imodium (which I've already been using), paracetamol, zopiclone (for sleeping, obv) and two other medicines which I cannot remember the names for. There is one that is prescribed for nausea, but it is some kind of first generation anti-psychotic/sedative which I used before and was horrible. Basically a zombie drug and anybody who has used those old antipsychotics will understand. It is only prescribed now for nausea AFAIK, although I vaguely remember reading that they might inject a person with it if they were in a full-blown psychotic episode in some emergency cases. I will recommend that, as part of the comfort pack, they include a small course of low-dose pregabalin for W/Ds when I give feedback, as I am essentially a guinae pig as this treatment is trialled, and I was chosen as I am fairly stable due to doing fairly well in my recovery (set-backs here and there but when are there not?).

But anyway, what would be considered a "safe" dose, based on how it is prescribed for anxiety? I know that some people are prescribed it for anxiety but I can only get it in 300mg capsules which I believe is too high for my purposes. Obviously I will have to empty capsules and weigh out appropriate doses. I know someone that was prescribed it for nerve damage and never experienced any kind of "high" or whatever, and I believe that the lowest prescribed dose is 75mgs. Would that be correct? I want to use it safely and do my job effectively. I also have to break it to my partner as she saw me at my worst when using this stuff on top of booze, H, benzos and anything else I could get my hands on after a bereavement, but I want to reassure her that this is well thought out self-medication to make the best of my job.

Any advice would be appreciated. I know that this isn't a medical forum but in terms of peoples' experiences and knowledge, I really could do with some advice. I want to give it my best and basically aide my recovery effectively so that it doesn't interfere with the new job. When you get the Buvidal jab, you actually get quite high due to the high levels of bupe (I never got that from the sublingual tablets) and, if I'd have known that I was going to get a job so quickly, I would've had an extra jab (it was offered) but I wanted to move on - little did I know that I'd get a job just as the bupe was starting to leave my system. Everything has just happened so quickly and I want to make the most of it.
Pregabalin is a miracle for wds but like ae battler said be very careful i chose pregabalin to get of heroin and switched addiction a pregab wd is worse then heroin wd do it a week max .