• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Starting Kratom taper from long-term, moderate use

inittowinit

Greenlighter
Hi all. This seems like an amazing community and I could use the support and hopefully, one day can lend some as well. I tend to be a sporadic poster but my goal is daily check-ins, even if just to say "ugh, I'm here". I doubt you'll believe that after seeing the length of this sucker, but I want to be honest and am open to suggestions. I see a lot of wisdom in this community. Thanks in advance for anyone brave enough to read the whole thing.

Back story: I started abusing rx meds 14 years ago, ranging from codeine syrup to Percocet, taking higher than rx'd doses. 9 yrs ago I found Tramodol. After abusing heavily & going through horrible withdrawals twice, I found kratom to help me get off. You can guess how that went.?

I've been using Kratom a year. At peak was around 3.5gm 4 to 5 times a day. I've attempted rapid tapers twice with no success quitting though I have lowered my intake. Dropping down initially isn't bad but I've gained to give my body time to adjust. The two big keys I've heard here are time to adjust and smaller. more frequent dosing.

The past 2-3 months I've taken 2.7 to 3.0g 4-5 times a day, averaging 11-12g/day. I sometimes go 8 hours if busy before noticing symptoms, but wrongfully thought I could do that consistently. Bad idea.

My plan is to drop 2xs/wk, Mon.(smaller drop-3 days to adjust) and Thurs.(more aggressive drop-4 days over weekend to adjust). I'm coming off a six wk leave of absence from working 60-65 hour wks + 2-3 weekends monthly, but no more! I'm in counseling weekly (past 1 year) identifying and coping with underlying problems. I am in a much better place and feel like I can cope with life without substances but breaking the physical and mental dependance won't be easy. My counselor doesn't know I use (occupational reasons) but we address other addictive behaviors (food, spending, work). I'm hoping the support here will bridge the gap.

I've given myself goals for 3 regular doses daily (when working I take less often, thankfully). I also plan smaller "help" doses in between as needed. Today I got up late with no major symptoms (midnight to 10am). Took 2.8g at 1030. Will try for 230, then 830pm with same dose. If trouble in between, can take 1.2gm doses.

Tomorrow is my first day back at work but it's a half day (counseling in the afternoon). Planning dosings 6am, 12pm, 6pm, each 2.6gm w/3 optional minis of 1.0. Tomorrow=big drop but hoping being busy will help and minis can be my crutch. (However, if that isn't working I'll have one higher dose (2.8) with me just in case and won't beat myself up if I use it). With any luck I'll hold that dosing until Thursday.

If no withdrawal symptoms by Thursday: 6am- 2.5, 12pm-2.5 and 6pm-2.2 with 0.9, 1.0 and 0.9 minis in between if needed. That takes me down to a range of 7.2 to 10 from 8.6 to 11 (today).

I have a goals written out w/ end point of June 7th. My drops will be smaller as I get closer to goal. I'll drop the minis around mid May when I'm taking <0.6 for my regular doses. I am also tracking how I feel before dosing and after to try and midigate symptoms without feeling the addictive effects. That's where the balance gets tough!!!

I have several strains but MD is my typical. Reds tend to knock me out very easily, so if I run into sleep problems I can always substitute a much lower dose of a red at night. Maybe that's what I should do... Replace MD with reds that I can't tolerate well. That would be great incentive! Lol

Question... I've considered a big drop over a weekend, then increasing a bit but not to the previous dose (ie drop from 10/day to 6.0/day, struggle through 2 bad days, then go back to 7.5/day). I know my last attempt, I ultimately ended up taking less daily. Anyone had experience with anything similar? Ugh... I just want this over. I know I've abused substances to keep from feeling but now I actually want to feel. I've faced down some nasty demons and I want my life back. I know I'll always battle the false sense of "happy", but I miss the real deal. I have to face reality that I may have to wait on that to return over several months and will def need reminding that this is worth it.

It's so frustrating to realize I've altered my body and brain to this point. I'm trying hard to accept that it's served a purpose (though more costly than so many other options) but that purpose is long fulfilled. And I have to accept that 10 years of this type of addiction along with a lifetime of a variety of other addictions won't magically evaporate.

Additional helps I am using: daily meditation, daily journalling, focusing on self accountability by posting and making log entries daily, will be starting protein shakes to go with my vitamins to keep my nutrition up, too.

Thanks again to anyone wading through this massive gut spill. And to all who have gone through and/or are going through similar. I hate that others struggle but I'm so glad to not be on this road alone!

If these two posts are better suited under journal, please move. This is evolving...

And I'm marking sections because I can't seem to shut up! ???

SUNDAY'S TAPER EXPERIENCE/NEW PLAN

Kratom Taper Day 1 - Huge learning curve
(daily x 1yr, 11g to 15g/day)

Plan already changing. Today: 1030am 2.8. 5min sweats/chills@3pm, resolved on their own. 430pm-2.8. Achy/mild nausea x10min@ 830pm. Took 1.2. Symptoms gone in 30 min. 10pm noticed mood shift - depressed/tired. Midnight-signif sweats/chills, aches, runny nose, nausea, mild diarrhea (usually severely constipated)x20 mins, worsening. 2.8@1225am, wrapped in blanket - very flu-like. Improved w/i 20mins, resolved 1hr.

Going from 11-15gm to 9.6gm too ambitious, esp stretching so far apart. New plan. Will work from 15g as daily average with 2.8gm, no more than 5 hours apart. Even if dose every 4 hrs, will =14g/day (barring middle of night dosing). Thurs if steady, drop 0.5gm/day & proceed @ 0.5 drops every 3-4 DAYS ONLY if stable.

FREAK OUT OVER WITHDRAWALS

No sweats/chills now but legs achy/mild rls (may be psychosomatic?). Will add low dose loperamide if needed. This little episode freaked me out. Last attempt at rapid taper I dropped amts but didn't space dosing. Was on a roll, but after dropping 3 days in a row had mild sweats and joint pain between doses and got really grouchy. Today was much more reminiscent of CT Tramadol. Once was following an 8 month, 800-1000mg/day, round the clock habit. I don't ever want to go thru that again! My apologies to those who've been thru far worse (H, benzos), because I'm sure my wd doesn't come close to what you've endured. I don't think I would survive much worse. The physical was nasty, but the emotional was scary as hell! Day 4 had me convinced I was permanently brain damaged and would never recover.

Please someone tell me this taper can save me from that!!! I've read a few things suggesting there may be similar qualities between T and K on the antidepressant side. I'm really hoping not. But why wouldn't they be?! I had no major problems going off last time because I had. Kratom. (Will post this elsewhere).

EMOTIONAL COMMITMENTS

So one thing - I'm going to start going thru some type of recovery resource. Will post for suggestions. I've been lying to myself all along about Kratom not being a big deal. I told my son tonight that I'm struggling trying to quit and my daughter knows. First time I've ever confided in my family.

Something else that I HAVE to change is my mind set about sobriety. I've always struggled with wanting to feel like I've conquered things with "one and done", go thru this book or master this set of rules and you're good for life. And that's reeeaaallly working for me. ?

I know ?that's not how this works, but now I need to really know it ♥️ & walk it out by not giving up, not seeing faltering as complete ruin. Any movement foreward is good! Some days just holding my own is good. Sometimes I'll fall back or get knocked down but that doesn't warrent staying down or deciding to purposely go backward. A big goal for me right now is to stand up to fear and push into it. Fear and failure have always been dirty words for me but they truly shouldn't be. If I'm doing anything worthwhile and challenging, there will be failings AND fears. In my past I've run from both... the wrong direction of course.

EMOTIONAL BREAKTHROUGH RANT

I had a huge breakthrough recently regarding self worth, and I am done cowaring from fear & failure! I was afraid to post here and today reminded me why. I knew there was no way I could taper without some amount of failure. At that point I'd have to either share or just disappear. At first I really wanted to wait to post again when/if I got my crap together. Not at all beneficial to me but advertising that I'm a failure has always seemed much more dangerous. Until I realized, my failures (and successes for that matter) aren't me! They happen sometimes because of my actions/inactions, sometimes because of other's actions/inactions. Other times there's no rhyme or reason. But they don't define me!

I finally get that we all come from places others can't see or fathom. Our outward life is based on so many unseen elements that, truly, trying to judge the proverbial book by it's cover is a ridiculous endeavor. I am the only human who knows me to the core (even though I may lie to myself at times)?. Yet we are raised in a culture that teaches us that everyone else's opinions are paramount. We may give verbage to being true to ourselves, but as a whole, our actions simply don't back that up. As a result, many of us learn to deeply mistrust ourselves and that gives power to the world and it's perceptions to define us. Until we take that power back!

So I'm sharing my successes and failures so I can get feedback and help. Always before I've had to try and predict how my mistakes would be perceived. Let me tell ya, when you define yourself by the world's perceptions of you, interpreted through your own filter of self mistrust and hatred... Let's just say, I've always predisposed myself as rather unacceptable, to put it mildly. And that by no fault of anyone in the present. But I've gotten the courage to take a long. Hard, straight look at myself (no angles or filters or covering my eyes out of fear of God knows what) and I actually realize I like me! I'm not the sum of my past, my actions, my choices my environment, my abuse or abusers, my drug abuse, my moods, my depression, my possessions, my friends, family, pets... ?. I am a good, kind, loveable, acceptable person and yes, it's because I say so! Seriously the realization that I really do know myself and love who I am has rocked my world. And though it all may sound trite, it runs so much deeper than I can explain.

CONCLUSION/CONFESSION

At any rate, I'm here with my failures, successes, fears, false perceptions, dysfunction, longwinded rants, all of me. Transparency is one of my goals here. After years of hiding it may not come naturally and certainly won't come easily, but perfect is certainly NOT what I am or aim to be. I just want to enjoy being me! And crushing this damned addiction, of course! ?

INSPIRATIONAL QUOTES

"You'll never change your life until you change something you do daily. The secret of your success is found in your daily routine".
- John C. Maxwell

"Three months from now you'll thank yourself.
- Unknown

"Don't give up what you want MOST for what you want NOW.". - Unknown

"Do not tolerate disrespect, even from yourself."
- Unknown

"little by little a little becomes A LOT!"
- Unknown

"Practice is controlled failure. You have to actually seek failure. Failure is where the lessons are." - Will Smith

Thanks to anyone who unwittingly waded into this mess of a post and actually had the constitution to read the whole freaking thing! Hoping my own repitition of this will help it continue to sink deeper each day.