Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Spiders around the house

Klue

Bluelight Crew
When I moved into my house there was a nest of a hundred or so spiders in one corner. I forgot about it and for a month or so there were a few little, black, nasty looking spiders making their way around the place. Even though they looked like they were probably venomous I didn't kill them. I haven't seen them for a few months now so they must have died off or made their way outside.

I another place I lived in there were Huntsmen spiders, sometimes really big ones and I quite liked them. They used to freak some people out when they were at my place and they just couldn't sit comfortably if they knew there was a spider around the place. I would definitely never kill a huntsman. I don't like it when people kill spiders, but maybe I'm lucky that I don't have a phobia.

What do other people do if they encounter a spider in their place? I just let them chill and do their own thing. Any cool spider stories? :)

I live in the pacific northwest where spiders are mostly wussy. If I see them in my home I let them be, unless they are somewhere they shouldn't be like way too close to my bed, then I pick them up and move them somewhere else.

*ANY* spider that's actually inside the house will be promptly taken care of, usually with my fist or the sole of my foot lol. Huntsman spiders outside the house or in the garage will live 9/10 times, depending on exactly where they are among a couple of other things. I have no issues with a huntsman as they're usually quite beneficial overall, so if possible I'll even just relocate them somewhere more appropriate.

Anything else, be it a red back, white tail, miscellaneous ugly motherfucker, or god forbid a bloody funnel web, will be completely destroyed regardless of location.

They don't really bother me much unless they make their way into my room. I found it strange that I've seen more spiders in the house here in Michigan the past four months than I did living in Florida 30+ years. But I guess in a tropical climate, they would have no reason to come inside my home. Plus spiders had more predators there like lizards, frogs and birds.

Edit: I just noticed you guys are in Australia, sorry! Do you have lots of poisonous spiders there? I imagine I would get spooked seeing a funnel web or lethal species.

^^^ (I'm assuming you've not lived in Aus) come hang out around southeast NSW for a while here in Aus, you'll soon change your approach to the fuckers :p there were a good 20+ red backs (among other nasty looking oddities) around our BBQ/weights area alone....I'd hate to go back around to my parent's place and do a lap of the backyard again, would be a scary reminder of what I used to live around 8(

I catch and release them outside if I can. Those daddy long legs are a chilled out spider that are harmless but they are so hard to catch and they make so much web, sometimes I use the vacuum to suck them up. Sorry little dudes.

I've seen 2 people bitten by redbacks at my workplace and both had pain but were fine. Funnel webs are the worst to be bitten by I think, then you have to get to hospital asap.

Edit: I just noticed you guys are in Australia, sorry! Do you have lots of poisonous spiders there? I imagine I would get spooked seeing a funnel web or lethal species.

Not really. Funnel webs are the worst and it's pretty damn rare to be bitten by them.

Funnel Web = lethal within minutes if you're unlucky enough to be bitten.
Red back = very rarely lethal. Just make you rather unwell.
White tail = pain, cyst, minor necrosis (I've been unlucky enough to be bitten. Didn't even realise until the cyst formed under the red lump LOL)

Red backs are the primary concern when out and about, particularly if you've got a lot of clutter/shit lying around the yard....but really no need to stress unless it's a female with eggs. There's plenty more worrying things out there in this country, like our catalogue of potentially deadly slithering reptiles :p

I would never kill a huntsman or a daddy-long-legs either; they feed on bugs that we don't want hanging around (Mosquitos, flies, other spiders) so having a co-existence with them can be a really good thing.
If big huntsmen freak me out (I once reached for a lightswitch in the dark, only to feel a bunch of hairy spider legs sitting on the switch - and man, those things can *jump* if you try to catch 'em - then sometimes I'll take them outside.

I generally always remove venomous looking fuckers from in and around my apartment, because my kitten has a thing for catching (and eating) insects. Female redbacks (the big ones) + small cats = bad news.

I welcome daddy long legs (and to a lesser extent) huntsmen though. Peaceful coexistence is a good thing to strive for IMO, even in the city (in Australia with our countless creepy-crawly bitey things).

I always kill redbacks both inside and outside the house. I find if I don't kill the outside ones, then when they have babies they will come in to the house looking for a place to setup. Fuck everything about redbacks. They always seem to nest right under things you want to put your hand on like BBQ handles, taps, everything in the garage.

We have these other larger black spiders that usually live under the eves outside which I don't mind. If I see them move inside I will just sweep them in to a bucket and put them outside again.

Daddy long legs are welcome inside. Got quite a few in the corners of the ceiling. I hear they keep mosquitoes down which is good.

Huntsman I will usually just try to usher outside with a broom. Inside they are usually in danger of becoming dog/cat prey.

I was digging my garden and had my hand a few inches away from a funnel web, I'm a pussy when it comes to spiders at the best of times. Seeing a funnel web on its hind legs, waving its forelegs around like a drunken boxer was enough to make me give up on the idea of a garden bed at that particular spot. God damn they are scary looking motherfuckers.

I like that people are assisting spiders outside. I've had people kill huntsmen at my house before but even hearing about people killing huntsmen at their own place sucks. I do brush down webs in and around my house but I don't think that is as bad, they have a chance to survive.

I have only ever seen one redback where I live so I suppose if there were more I would squash them.

:)

This thread freaks me out. Spiders freak me out. The older I get the more rational I am about it, but I'm really not good with spiders. If someone who's not such a wuss is about, I will ask them to move it out the house for me. If I can move it while keeping a respectable distance (ie: several feet) I will do it. If it's somewhere I don't go every day I will leave it alone. If it's somewhere I spend lots of time I kill it.

Try waking up in the middle of the night because one of these suckers is crawling up your forearm:
NSFW:

Black_House_Spider_by_Drumlanrig.jpg

It's happened to me twice - both in different houses; on each occasion I woke up and instinctively flicked the damn thing off me the second I realised what the creeping sensation was. No - neither was a hallucination, either!
Of course, after sleepily flicking the bastards off (in semi darkness) - I couldn't find the spider anywhere; somewhere in the vicinity of the bed, assumed.
The first time it happened, I had to go sleep on the couch - there was no way i could relax in a room with one of those things possibly lurking in the covers.
I found the spider weeks later (on the leg of some jeans i'djust put on!).
I wasn't so zen-like with that arachnid..

The second time I was crashing in a friends' spare bedroom after a party.
Somehow - after a halfhearted search, I somehow drunkenly fell back asleep.
Desensitisation?
Or just alcoholic stupor? Wouldn't happen any more, since I gave up the sauce...

Either way, by Aussie standards; they're not very venomous spiders;

Black house spiders are venomous, but are not considered dangerous. They are timid and bites from them are infrequent. The bite may be excruciatingly painful and cause local swelling. Symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, sweating and giddiness are occasionally recorded. In a few cases, skin lesions (arachnogenic necrosis) have developed after multiple bites.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_house_spider

This thread freaks me out. Spiders freak me out. The older I get the more rational I am about it, but I'm really not good with spiders. If someone who's not such a wuss is about, I will ask them to move it out the house for me. If I can move it while keeping a respectable distance (ie: several feet) I will do it. If it's somewhere I don't go every day I will leave it alone. If it's somewhere I spend lots of time I kill it.

Sounds a bit like a mate I used to live with. Somewhat irrationally scared of spiders, even though he knew they couldn't/wouldn't hurt him. After my constant ridicule and belittling every time he'd come across something bigger than a 5c piece, he slowly begun to just grab me and ask me to deal with it (since they were mostly huntsman spiders and I didn't like killing them). He didn't appreciate me chasing him around the house with a spider on a thong though LOL

I'm in Melbourne and live next to a large park so get plenty of huntsmen inside, but I just leave them alone, in the same way as daddy long legs. They're harmless, so I don't mind if they're in the room. I kill every white-tail I see though, as I know they can hurt you.

I also get geckos running around inside sometimes, which is pretty cool.

AAUUGHHH this thread jinxed me! The other night when I closed my kitchen window before bed there was a MASSIVE huntsman on it! He got stuck in between the glass and the flywire screen and I felt sorry for him after a while but I couldn't figure out a way to save him without letting him into my house!

ANYWHO he died the following day and he was so big that you could see his dead body in my window from the middle of the road outside my house 8o

I was laying down watching a movie the other night and killed something crawling on my face. Didn't realise until later on when I looked in a mirror that it was a little black spider that was still clinging onto my cheek. He was just hanging there half squashed. All good :)