• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

South Carolina prosecutor won't charge cop in 19-year-old's murder during drug sting

David Wooderson

Bluelighter
By Regina F. Graham For Dailymail.com

Video reveals horrific moment cop shot dead unarmed teen on a first date as it's revealed officer will NOT be charged with anything

• Zachary Hammond, 19, was fatally shot on July 26 in Seneca, South Carolina while on a first date with 23-year-old Tori Morton
  • Morton was being investigated after allegedly offering to sell drugs to another cop in a text message sent from Hammond's phone
  • The cop mistakenly received the text when Morton typed the wrong number
  • Authorities arranged a meeting with the pair in an attempted drugs sting
  • Lt. Mark Tiller claimed he shot Hammond because he 'feared for his life'
  • Autopsy showed teen was shot in the side and back, according to parents
  • Lawsuit filed by the family claims the last words Hammond heard before dying were, 'I'll blow your f***ing head off'
  • Civil complaint claims another cop celebrated Zachary's death by giving his lifeless body a high-five
  • Officials announced no criminal charges will be filed against Tiller as dash cam footage of shooting is released Tuesday

[video]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3291772/Official-No-state-charges-officer-fatally-shot-teen.html#v-4838650245841466059[/video]

<strong>

The dash cam footage of a South Carolina police officer fatally shooting an unarmed 19-year-old has been released, after a state prosecutor announced Tuesday no criminal charges will be filed against the officer.
Solicitor Chrissy Adams said that after reviewing the case and applicable law, Seneca officer Mark Tiller won't face charges in South Carolina after he shot dead Zachary Hammond on July 26 in the parking lot of a fast food restaurant.
Hammond was shot twice by Tiller during an undercover marijuana sting operation that went wrong.
The teen was on a first date with 23-year-old Tori Morton, who was the target of the bust after an undercover officer arranged a drug deal with her at Hardee's. She was sitting in Hammond's passenger seat of the car at the time of the deadly shooting, but was not injured.

According to a lawsuit filed by his family, the two first got ice cream at McDonald's, then drove to Hardee's so Hammond could get a hamburger.
The newly released video of the incident begins with the police car accelerating towards Hammond's vehicle.
After the patrol vehicle stops behind Hammond's car, Tiller exits the patrol car with his gun raised and aimed at the driver's side of the teen's vehicle.
The officer can be heard yelling 'hands up, put them up, stop, stop, stop' as Hammond backs out of the parking space and accelerates to leave.
Tiller can then be heard firing his gun twice in rapid succession at the driver's side of the vehicle as it quickly moves out of the camera's view.
About nine seconds after the shooting when another officer arrived, Tiller can be heard saying out of the dashboard camera's view 'he tried to hit me.'
The sound in the footage becomes inaudible, but someone out of the camera's view is clearly heard yelling 'shots fired, shots fired' a number of times, while someone else demands 'put your hands in the air.'
Another person, possibly Morton, can be heard screaming in the video.
Adams wrote that the facts surrounding the case do not warrant charges being filed in state court against Tiller.
'Because of the unique circumstances of this case, including all the rumors, innuendo, and false information that has been reported, I feel it necessary to go into more detail than usual in this letter in order to clearly explain to you why I do not recommend that state charges be filed,' Adams said.

'The dash cam video shows Hammond's vehicle veering toward Lt. Miller and accelerating rapidly.
'The first shot can be heard almost immediately after Tiller pushes off the car and when his body is still exposed to danger from the vehicle.
'The second shot immediately follows. The car accelerated with such force that a concrete curb was damaged as well as Hammond's front passenger side tire.'
She also wrote that a forensic analysis showed that the teen had used cocaine and marijuana three to six hours before being fatally shot by Tiller.
The investigation also revealed Hammond possessed these drugs, WHNS reported.
Facts established during the investigation into the shooting revealed that the teen was resisting and attempting to evade arrest, Adams said. He also had an active warrant out for his arrest.
The solicitor wrote that around 840 pages of text messages recovered from Hammond's cell phone 'indicate that Hammond had been on a dangerous and destructive course for a significant period of his life.'
According to Adams' letter, a South Carolina Highway Patrol trooper received a text message on July 26 from an unknown individual known as 'Tori.'
Adams said, it was discovered that the text, which was offering to sell cocaine and marijuana, was sent by Morton using Hammond's cell phone and that the trooper's phone number was one digit different than the person whom she was trying to reach.
The trooper contacted the Seneca Police Department after receiving the text messages and they had the trooper respond to Morton to arrange a meeting, Adams Wrote.

Adams said that the investigation revealed 'Hammond and Morton arrived in the rear Hardee's parking lot to commit felonies by selling cocaine and marijuana.'
Tiller was called for back up when the undercover officer thought that Hammond and Morton were going to approach him.
Tiller has said through his lawyer that he thought Hammond was threatening to run him over and fired twice to protect himself.
Hammond's family said a private autopsy showed that the teen was shot in the side and the back, proving the threat had passed.
City lawyers have said the shooting was justified and that Tiller shot Hammond in self-defense when he drove his car at the officer.
Hammond's family says Tiller threatened to blow Hammond's head off. The officer's attorneys deny that.
The family also says Hammond was shot through the driver's side window from behind, indicating there was no danger to the officer.

Lawyer Eric Bland has said the family talked to the Morton, looked at private surveillance camera footage and did the private autopsy.
The family's lawsuit says that after paramedics determined Hammond was dead, his body was left for 90 minutes on the ground, where it was bitten and stung by ants.
A second officer gave the lifeless teen's body a high-five sometime after other investigators arrived, according to the lawsuit.
In legal papers, lawyers have acknowledged that the second officer may have said something about inappropriate contact with Hammond's body.
The U.S. Department of Justice also is investigating the case, and Adams said she won't release additional information while those federal authorities decide whether they'll bring charges against Tiller.
His family wanted Adams removed from the case because she works closely with local police, but the state Supreme Court rejected the request.
Their family attorney, Ronnie Richter, told the NY Daily News that Hammond's parents watched the dash camera footage for the first time Tuesday and plan on continuing with the law suit.
'It's a very painful day for them, seeing this for the first time,' he said. 'They are devastated. It's very hard to watch — it would be for any parent, to watch your child get shot.'

So sick of this happening, is it me or have there been many purported drug dealers that text cops unwittingly only to have the cops bust them?

Just seems like a somewhat rare circumstance to keep repeating itself.
8)

My prayers go out to this family

I also didn't realize this was 2 months old so if you want to remove it if this is a repost, by all means, sorry.

Last edited:
I'm sorry if I somehow offend any BLer reading this, but if that stupid bitch would have keyed in the right number, a 19 year old beloved son would still be breathing today. Yeah, some [or most] of you may be of the opinion that I'm being too hard on her, but I strongly feel it's completely justified since her very young date died an awful death at the hands of yet another seemingly abusive pig who just found out he got away squeaky clean after probably [and somewhat ironically] gulping down no less than a gallon's worth of [carcinogenic, neurotoxic, hepatotoxic] Alcohol [and perhaps also smoked several packs of not-so-healthy cigarettes, which I emphasize due to the same apparent reason why 'street drugs' have and continue to be illegal in the first place: acute and long-term health risks] between the aforementioned incident and today's [IMO, unjust] ruling on it :|

More than anything, I'm just very upset that he died for next to nothing [and as stated before, at such a young age], is all. And I can't even begin to imagine the unending, crippling agony his family is undoubtedly in. Ugh, what a tragedy(!) - one of far too many in recent years which have surely sucked any joy left of living right out of the poor souls of these victims' mothers and fathers. I am truly heartbroken at the thought of Zachary Hammond's parents having to cope with what has taken place here; am so hurting inside for them :(

Last edited:
This is heart wrenching to read. I feel for the victims family. The officer that high fived the body should be fired. It is not only extremely unprofessional, but is also desecration of the dead.

I feel for the parents, but suing won't help. Civil litigation against police officer is payed out of taxpayer funds. They go unpunished. My only hope that an incident such as this can start getting people thinking about how to truly punish these officers for this senseless violence.

Lastly let me ask you a question "when a man in plain clothes runs up on you while you are in your car with a gun brandished isn't your fight or flight response going to be triggered?" both of these realities would end in the same way...death, or long term imprisonment which is nearly as bad as being dead.

She also wrote that a forensic analysis showed that the teen had used cocaine and marijuana three to six hours before being fatally shot by Tiller.
The solicitor wrote that around 840 pages of text messages recovered from Hammond's cell phone 'indicate that Hammond had been on a dangerous and destructive course for a significant period of his life.'

Clearly the only option was execution. It's crazy how the officer tries to walk in front of the car once it starts moving and then uses that as justification for killing the kid.

Lastly let me ask you a question "when a man in plain clothes runs up on you while you are in your car with a gun brandished isn't your fight or flight response going to be triggered?" both of these realities would end in the same way...death, or long term imprisonment which is nearly as bad as being dead.

I doubt he would have gotten much time if he was caught, they don't mention any drug weights which makes me think that they were very small time, if they had an ounce of coke it would have gotten mentioned in at least one news report. You need lots of weed to get any real time these days in most cases as well.

How can something so small and stupid could warrant a death sentence?
Why is the atmosphere in that town so care free of any restraint?
I hope the shooter gets depression and lives a sad downward spiral but that would require a conscious that would have never had shot a kid point blank and then turn to cowardice in trying to blame the kid by saying he tried to hit him in the first place, like anyone would die @ 5mph. smh
People who actually run down and kill people in cars do it a little differently and you don't have the opportunity to shoot them point blank, as they drive with the same restraint as the officer showed with his weapon.

Surprised they didn't gun this guy down with m16's, very similar in cops exaggerating situations with cars to exert more force than necessary...just cuz they can, and like to.

Last edited:
^^^oh my god! that cop was out of control. I wish there was a time shown so you could see just how long he was on the ground like that for. It looked like they obviously slammed his head on the ground because his legs were in the air...then you got all the cops standing around like hunters over a big game animal they have taken down.

b089d50f91.jpg

I live in orlando and nearly everyday we have news of police brutality. The newest thing the sheriff of orange county wants to do is bring in a private company to add officers to the street. I smell blackwater all over this thing. Fortunately this company will have oversight from the citizens, not the bullshit internal investigations that are always adjudicated by a judge that has extreme police sympathy. Eventually we will get enough people recognizing this problem that a grand jury, and a jury of their peers will be more willing to prosecute these crimes effectively. It is a truly broken system when the oversight for a government agency is internal Ie: police policing police, which has been proven not to work. I believe there should be far lest justifiable shootings.

on another note, here in Florida our republican run state is trying to pass legislation that allows open carry everywhere. I have a feeling this is going to lead to lots more police shootings, and "stand your ground" situations (which they are making harder to prosecute). I fear for my life since I live in a city.

The officer attempted to cut this kids moving vehicle off with his own body an some how that serves as just cause for the police officer to murder a teenager.

All over a flower.

How this doesn't cause public out roar is beyond me.

So sick of this happening, is it me or have there been many purported drug dealers that text cops unwittingly only to have the cops bust them?

Just seems like a somewhat rare circumstance to keep repeating itself.
8)

I don't buy it either. Sounds like parallel construction.