• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery Some thoughts for the newly sober

aihfl

Bluelight Crew
Hey All, haven't been by in a while. Just thought I'd celebrate American Independence Day by committing to words how I gained independence from alcohol and prescription drugs. Maybe they'll help someone else, too.

1. Get a hobby. You're going to have a lot of free time that you spent drinking/using drugs that is now unoccupied. Me personally, I bought a sailboat, got back into sailing, started kayaking with renewed gusto and got advanced scuba certifications that made me eligible for professional development courses that will allow me to earn money in the diving industry.

2. Take charge of your mental health. If you're like many other addicts, you drank/used drugs in a misguided attempt to self-medicate. If you're not anxious/depressed/whatever, you no longer have a need to self-medicate. So what if a doctor prescribes you an antidepressant. Isn't that better than downing a fifth of ___spirit of your choice___, or scoring some ___DOC here___?

3. Don't get hung up on making amends. If you materially hurt someone, i.e. stole from them, by all means make good. But don't get wrapped up in making a bunch of apologies. It's just going to sound like more hollow words to many people you've hurt. Simply staying sober is the best amend you can make. A lot of people still may not like you, but at least you will have their grudging respect.

4. It's all a matter of time. Sooner or later, being sober just becomes the natural order of things. The second thirty days will go much faster than the first interminable thirty days, the third thirty days faster than that and so on. Sooner or later, you'll find that months or even a year has gone by without even having thought about it.

Excellent!

2.) and 3.) I feel are the most important. To me anyway.

2.) Is important, as petty much all addicts have mental health issues. I personally didn't like the group peer therapy: It just made me more anxious than I already did. I made it clear after that that I do not want to do any more group therapy. I had to fight a bit, but eventually they relented and I did 1 to 1 counselling that was a billion times more helpful.
My counselor was pretty great, I lucked out with her. She also said with regards to depression that I really have to think about what is best for me and not let anyone push meds or things on me. That was great advice as I reacted very badly to SSRI's but then really pushed my doctor to try tricyclic anti-depressants which have so far turned out to be a god send. Being in control of your mental health and what you want to do with regards to therapies and meds is absolutely vital. If something doesnt work or is being counter productive then stand up for yourself and make it clear you are an individual and have a right to make the decisions of what to put into your body.

Number 3 is really important too. You can't get hung up on all the mistakes you made, it'll just make you feel guilty and that turns rapidly into self-pitying which turns into depression which turns into a much more likely chance of relapsing.
I have found that just by helping loved ones who supported me throughout this with small selfless deeds is rewarding for me, like helping them move house or help with the gardening (which is in itself good exercise and very therapeutic). And just chatting to them regularly and listening to any problems they have is always really appreciated by people...There might be people who wont accept the apologies you make. But that is fine, don't dwell on it and move on. You can always reconnect with loved ones who forgive you or who you haven't hurt.

it's great you have worked this out for yourself. You seem to be in control with your recovery on your own terms and that is something a lot of people lack. So i'm happy to see this post! :) It's great! I wish you the best of luck!

F'loki

I think they are each great suggestions, but my favorite is 4). It is so incredibly difficult for most people to live or act skillfully when acting from a place of "I need to do it now!" and other kinds of scarcity. Taking more of an approach to the long game like this has been so beneficial to my process.

Taking more of an approach to the long game like this has been so beneficial to my process.

Agreed. When you're living a decent life time just flies by. The hobby part has probably been the most rewarding for me. I did two dives off Palm Beach last night and we watched the fireworks from the boat in between. It's the height of sea turtle mating season, so I saw at least 5 (they're huge!). That totally made having to be at work at 8:30 this morning worth it.

Oh man that sounds nice. I was talking about Catalina Island off the socal coast yesterday, I'd so love to go diving there again, it's been too many years. So much fun!

The guy who I bought my scuba gear from was from SoCal and used it frequently at Catalina. I'm from the south so I don't do cold water. I don't even get in the freshwater springs in FL without a wetsuit and that's only 72-74 degrees in my part of the state, so that 65 degree SoCal water might as well be 32. The guy I dove with yesterday is running an instructor class in September but as you said in an earlier post, trying to burn the candle at both ends can be counterproductive. I'm getting my water rescue/first aid/CPR credentials updated in a few weeks, then I'd have to take the divemaster course before I can do instructor and that is just too much to cram in 1.5 months. I do have to hold down a job somewhere in there.

Hobbies are great. Especially ones that get your adrenaline going. Its that high on life. spent years skydiving. On a side note. Did a scuba course and found my kriptonite... I'm claustrophobic. Finished the course so I would not look bad in front of my girlfriend.

Grats on the diving and staying clean... :)

R13

Agreed. When you're living a decent life time just flies by. The hobby part has probably been the most rewarding for me. I did two dives off Palm Beach last night and we watched the fireworks from the boat in between. It's the height of sea turtle mating season, so I saw at least 5 (they're huge!). That totally made having to be at work at 8:30 this morning worth it.