Sober High? and Rolling while dancing in NYC(What's with all the kiddies ?)

soulwatcher

Bluelighter
Well some interesting experiences from this weekend. First went to a bar with my rolling buddy and we were both sober, but I was on a total high, permagrin, really having fun while drinking water and watching the people as they went through their contorted, awkward, alcohol fueled mating rituals. It was such a great feeling to know that I could feel awesome without alcohol but with the afterglow of last week's roll. Very very cool. And I didnt worry about anything, just enjoyed watching people, felt at peace with the world and myself.
Last night went to NYC with my buddy and we rolled and clubbed until 9am. It was my second time rolling and first while dancing to trance/techno in a club, which for me seemed a totally different experience then while rolling in a bar/friend environment. Talk about feeling the music in every pore of your body and dancing because it feels so good to let the music take you over. The roll itself was very mellow and peaceful, and everything seemed great with the world and with myself. I almost didnt feel the roll at all when dancing, but when i took a break it was great. I Felt so clearheaded(isnt that ironic) and with less worries about life, insecurities etc..
Anyways though, enough of my happy stuff. We were at Limelight and Sound Factory, and I was shocked by how many underagers there were there(we started at 2am), most of whom were quite openly discussing the various substances they had ingested that evening(which seems to me to be idiotic at best)loudly in public. Most of these kids were clearly under 18(was it 18 and over night?)and looked like they were trolling their mall in their little packs. These kiddies and their "crew" who have to loudly talk about the experience, and which pills they were rolling on etc, rather then just live the experience seem to me to be missing the whole point. For me it was seeing someone on the dancefloor or looking at my buddy and knowing that we were sharing a great experience without having to say a word, rather with a smile and a nod, But as being relatively new to the whole thing, I dont want to diminish their fun, but they just dont get it do they? (It was totally cool to see some guy who obviously is on roids to just be peacefully dancing all night long..aggro is bad, mellow is good)
Pill Report:1 1/2 total
Mitsibushis: nice, but mellow, took a long time to hit
Clovers: beautiful, fast acting, long lasting

I couldnt agree with you more soulwatcher! These kids have no respect for themselves or the scene if you ask me. maybe the reason we are so reluctant to blurt out our exploits is that we came from a time when parties were a little more undergroundand the whole idea of it was new and secretive.
mainstream sucks.
I love clovers too.

that's my point. It seems like rolling and feeling the music is such a personal intense experience. Sharing how one feels is one thing, but for these kids its more bragging about how many and how much drugs they did, and how they are going to score more drugs for next weekend. And having this discussion in front of strangers and bouncers? Dumb.

I find drugs make good small talk especially at parties. It's not a matter of bragging about how many drugs you've done, its about sharing a common experience. I remember when I first started raving, I thought people who dropped the names of pills they'd done and djs they'd seen were really pretentious and just trying to sound cool, but I've come to realise that real ravers are some of the least pretentious people I've ever met.
Also some of those little kiddies might be older than you think. I'm 21, but if you saw me at a party in my baseball cap and raver pants you would probably think I was about 17.In Toronto most clubs are 19 and over but some will let you in if you're underage after 2(last call). Raves which are special events where they don't serve alcohol are all ages. Toronto clubs are usually the older crowd. Personally I prefer raves, there's just not the same vibe without the little candy kids.

soulwatcher, i agree with you about the kids. i may be getting old (24 in a couple of weeks), but it depresses me to be around little candy ravers. I started dropping at 19 and really can't imagine having done it any younger. life is complicated and fucked up enough in high school WITHOUT a chemical stew simmering in your brain. to each his own, but i wish the kids would grow into their own and find out who they really are at that critical time instead of using drugs as a prerequisite to what their peers define as "cool."