• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Sober euphoria

nolys

Bluelight Crew
Hows it going
So long story short, I was in 2 abusive relationships, very depressed, took alot of drugs, cocaine addict for around a year recently,but taking drugs for maybe 7-8 years.

For about 2 months now I have been off all drugs due to upcoming hair follicle test, I barely drink, like at all.

Coming off was easy no withdrawals ect and I'm single now.
So there's the back story

Question - I've started getting my life in order, hitting the gym again after being absent for around a year.
I've been insanely happy, as if I've taken a low dose of mdma, you know that feeling in your chest when your coming up, that euphoric intense rush. This is sort of like a constant feeling.
I feel incredible as if I could take on the world, constantly. I never felt like this back before I took drugs and before these relationships, I literally have never been happier. I'd go as far as calling it manic.

I have no desire whatsoever to take drugs again, my question is in relation to these feelings. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
I'm not complaining, it's incredible. Blasting music in the car singing out loud and dancing while people watch and I don't give a fuck. I can control this when I'm around people and don't want to cause myself social problems too.
And I want to be active CONSTANTLY, sitting still is mind numbing and irritating.

Is this some sort of serotonin / dopamine rebound? Or maybe a mental health issue? (not that I'd complain if it was).
It's been a long time since I've been sober for any period of time so there's a small possibility this is just normality. But I very much doubt that.

Mental clarity.... Natural euphoria... What's this you speak of?

But seriously, I think you're just feeling healthy...I wonder how that feels these days. But awesome! Good for you!

Hows it going
So long story short, I was in 2 abusive relationships, very depressed, took alot of drugs, cocaine addict for around a year recently,but taking drugs for maybe 7-8 years.

For about 2 months now I have been off all drugs due to upcoming hair follicle test, I barely drink, like at all.

Coming off was easy no withdrawals ect and I'm single now.
So there's the back story

Question - I've started getting my life in order, hitting the gym again after being absent for around a year.
I've been insanely happy, as if I've taken a low dose of mdma, you know that feeling in your chest when your coming up, that euphoric intense rush. This is sort of like a constant feeling.
I feel incredible as if I could take on the world, constantly. I never felt like this back before I took drugs and before these relationships, I literally have never been happier. I'd go as far as calling it manic.

I have no desire whatsoever to take drugs again, my question is in relation to these feelings. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
I'm not complaining, it's incredible. Blasting music in the car singing out loud and dancing while people watch and I don't give a fuck. I can control this when I'm around people and don't want to cause myself social problems too.
And I want to be active CONSTANTLY, sitting still is mind numbing and irritating.

Is this some sort of serotonin / dopamine rebound? Or maybe a mental health issue? (not that I'd complain if it was).
It's been a long time since I've been sober for any period of time so there's a small possibility this is just normality. But I very much doubt that.

This is almost identical to my experience of the hypomania that precedes mania. Be very, very careful.

Unless you have a history of (hypo)mania, I think it's way premature to bring that to the table. As Sixx said, it sounds to me like you're simply feeling good--nothing pathological about it.

I suppose the other possibility is that you're having your honeymoon period, aka a 'pink cloud' episode after quitting drugs. When I finally found some success at quitting, I did have some incredible feelings of energy and positivity.

My best advice is to bask in the good feelings. You've earned them, dealing with all the shit that comes with surviving and quitting a serious drug habit.

This is almost identical to my experience of the hypomania that precedes mania. Be very, very careful.

Could you go in to more detail?

Unless you have a history of (hypo)mania, I think it's way premature to bring that to the table. As Sixx said, it sounds to me like you're simply feeling good--nothing pathological about it.

I suppose the other possibility is that you're having your honeymoon period, aka a 'pink cloud' episode after quitting drugs. When I finally found some success at quitting, I did have some incredible feelings of energy and positivity.

My best advice is to bask in the good feelings. You've earned them, dealing with all the shit that comes with surviving and quitting a serious drug habit.

I'm not sure if it is the pink cloud, I've looked into it, and I don't fit the description for most criteria. I never seen myself as an addict, only stopped because I had to, not wanted to (glad I did now), and never realised I had a problem until I started feeling normal again.
I could be wrong and even if this is some underlying mental health issue that drugs were covering up, I'm not going to complain, best mental health issue ever if that's the case lol.

I literally feel like I'm on low dose mdma constantly, but without the cloudy head or vision impairment

It sounds like you're just happy. A lot of us don't know what true contentment/happiness feels like.

I'm not trying to discount your mania theory, just another possible explanation.

I'm really sorry to hear about the past abusive relationships. Have you gotten therapy, or do you feel mentally recovered? Abusive relationships can take a huge toll on a person. <3 Congrats on finding happiness while being single. A lot of us are unable to get there on our own.

It sounds like you're just happy. A lot of us don't know what true contentment/happiness feels like.

I'm not trying to discount your mania theory, just another possible explanation.

I'm really sorry to hear about the past abusive relationships. Have you gotten therapy, or do you feel mentally recovered? Abusive relationships can take a huge toll on a person. <3 Congrats on finding happiness while being single. A lot of us are unable to get there on our own.

Well the first was abusive, mentally and physically, the physical stuff wasn't reallt an issue women don't hurt that much... But she left my head fucked beyond recognition, took over a year but Ive gotten myself out of it for the most part. She really fucked my head.
The second one started to get violent the last month or 2 I was with her, last time I seen her I had my lip busted open, t shirt ripped off my back, blood everywhere from bite marks and had to go to hospital to see if I had a broken jaw. Tbh that didn't really do me any mental harm at all I just gtfo.
This girl actually helped me recover from the last even if she did end up like this so I'm thankful for that, but I couldn't go on like that.

Maybe I am just happy but these rushes of euphoria are unbelievable, if this is sober life, it's the life for me lol.
Thanks captain

I've been having these thoughts recently, if I do stop all drug use I hope I get this euphoria!

The feeling is really insane, it literally feels like the feeling of coming up on mdma but with a completely level head and no tingles in the arms

maybe not as extreme as you're describing, but i was euphoric about 2 months after stopping. it was lovely but i took it with a grain of salt - drug use has made me wary of extremes. you dont get something for nothing. i can only suggest enjoy it but know that life isn't about being endlessly euphoric, and that when the euphoria fades, the task of managing natural highs of lows truly begins.

On our group for experience experts I have heard a lot of talk about how those who have totally stopped (including replacement therapies) have felt like some kind of fog has been removed out of their senses.

They keep telling how they can be moved like by some nice colors they see during sunset and notice different smells and can feel happiness from small things.

Most of them have described that like veing alive again instead of being numbed by drugs. It is like they have gained their emotions back which also goes both ways as they also experience saddness as it is and other normal emotions and feelings.

I noticed also that being on buprenorphine and quitting benzos as well as gabapentin has given me back some ability to feel emotions instead of just being numb. I enjoy my life more when I am on ORT than when I used drugs and I am happily looking forward for quitting ORT although I am not ready yet.

(And we do have a policy for being able to talk about what our group discussess in general as long as no one can be identified specifically. This is because the group exists to give information to other users, people in rehab and general public as well as educational institutions and as people go telling their own stories with their own names for example to schools and such it would be counterintuitive to not be able talking anything about the group.)

Edit:
Also I do feel that sex has become more enjoyable now when I am on ORT. Before it was just something to carry out but now it is a whole different level and I do feel the connection to my partner. Although this might be because I have such a wonderful woman by my side who also happens to be really kinky and I am not talking about anything mild kinky stuff. For example on our first time I actually ended up losing my anal virginity to a sex toy :p

Edit2: I also happen to be bipolar so I know about (hypo)mania. Have you lost your ability to sleep or sleep only just few hours and can still perform as usual? That is the first sign of hypomanic episode starting for me atleast.

Last edited:
As long as it's not causing life problems then just roll with it

On our group for experience experts I have heard a lot of talk about how those who have totally stopped (including replacement therapies) have felt like some kind of fog has been removed out of their senses.

They keep telling how they can be moved like by some nice colors they see during sunset and notice different smells and can feel happiness from small things.

Most of them have described that like veing alive again instead of being numbed by drugs. It is like they have gained their emotions back which also goes both ways as they also experience saddness as it is and other normal emotions and feelings.

I noticed also that being on buprenorphine and quitting benzos as well as gabapentin has given me back some ability to feel emotions instead of just being numb. I enjoy my life more when I am on ORT than when I used drugs and I am happily looking forward for quitting ORT although I am not ready yet.

(And we do have a policy for being able to talk about what our group discussess in general as long as no one can be identified specifically. This is because the group exists to give information to other users, people in rehab and general public as well as educational institutions and as people go telling their own stories with their own names for example to schools and such it would be counterintuitive to not be able talking anything about the group.)

Edit:
Also I do feel that sex has become more enjoyable now when I am on ORT. Before it was just something to carry out but now it is a whole different level and I do feel the connection to my partner. Although this might be because I have such a wonderful woman by my side who also happens to be really kinky and I am not talking about anything mild kinky stuff. For example on our first time I actually ended up losing my anal virginity to a sex toy :p

Edit2: I also happen to be bipolar so I know about (hypo)mania. Have you lost your ability to sleep or sleep only just few hours and can still perform as usual? That is the first sign of hypomanic episode starting for me atleast.

I feel like a fog has been removed. I thought I damaged my sense of emotion from diazepam abuse years ago, but since stopping all drugs I've got my emotions back which is nice too. Thought I had lost them for good and yeah I have been having trouble sleeping recently too

Maybe what you are feeling is totally connected to how trapped you had become in your life previously. Getting into, and staying in, abusive relationships is a pretty clear sign that the relationship with your (authentic) self is barely breathing. Add drugs to that and the trap is pretty hard to escape. It seems that you must have reached deep down for some latent courage and determination to reclaim your life. Congratulations for that--it's never easy! Now you have come roaring back to life after a long imprisonment so it doesn't surprise me at all that it would feel euphoric. Like all emotions, euphoria is best experienced with gratitude for the moment.

Maybe what you are feeling is totally connected to how trapped you had become in your life previously. Getting into, and staying in, abusive relationships is a pretty clear sign that the relationship with your (authentic) self is barely breathing. Add drugs to that and the trap is pretty hard to escape. It seems that you must have reached deep down for some latent courage and determination to reclaim your life. Congratulations for that--it's never easy! Now you have come roaring back to life after a long imprisonment so it doesn't surprise me at all that it would feel euphoric. Like all emotions, euphoria is best experienced with gratitude for the moment.

Wow herbavore that was beautiful lol. Really that was very nice to read.
When your in that trap, wether from the drugs or the abuse or both, at the time you really don't realise. Plenty of other people tell you to get out but you don't listen. Once you have listened and ended it and finally adjusted though it does feel like a massive weight has been lifted.
Do you write for a living?

herb's just an amazing artist is all :)

Wow, great thread noyls! Super glad to hear you are doing well. Reminds me of how I felt after some time off methadone and year from heroin. Once I learned how and start taking better care of myself tt was like, "Holly shit?! People actually get to feel like this?!"

It's pretty cool. Like messing with the hue/sat settings in PS

How are you feeling nolys?

Today? Very very tired, but that's because I was with a girl I've been meeting late last night. So actually great because I've never felt chemistry like this with a woman before. I think I feel more because my emotions are returning to normal, or she's just cool. Never had these butterfly feelings with a woman before.

Life is awesome right now. Work has picked up, new woman in my life who I feel alot more for than anyone before, great result in court about my custody case, get to see my son for the first time in 13 months in 4 weeks time.

Thanks for asking captain

Hot shit, that is pretty awesome! I am enjoying taking this bit of pleasure in your good fortune too nolys :)