• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Sleep learning?

Wilso

Bluelighter
So I've read quite different things regarding this in different places, some people say its possible and other say not. So, what do you think/know about this? Could you learn a new language in your sleep? Or even something far more simple?

I have not googled or researched anything about sleep learning. However my freshman psychology prof told us that it does not work. He said it would prolly only result in weird dreams.

That's all I got.

I have not googled or researched anything about sleep learning. However my freshman psychology prof told us that it does not work. He said it would prolly only result in weird dreams.

That's all I got.
Was your professor an acrobat at one point, too? Mine said the same thing and it is one of the only two things I remember from him: The other being that he used to do acrobatics on the trapeze.

Was your professor an acrobat at one point, too? Mine said the same thing and it is one of the only two things I remember from him: The other being that he used to do acrobatics on the trapeze.

Heh. I don't recall any of that. This guy was clean cut, prolly in his upper forties. Seemed like a regular ol' academic type.

Dreams are mostly subconscious activity, your inhibitions are released perchance to realize suppressed fears, desires, wants, and needs. Those examples are maybe more important than 'common knowledge', for those aspects of life can deter an individual from their true potential. You might be thinking of Osmosis, which is a real thing, but not as most often thought of - Osmosis is the ability for the subconscious to absorb information in ones surroundings; such as advertisements, or staring at a page of writing, picture art, or listening to music, and in effect the information is not cognitively recognized, but retained none the less for possible recall at a later time.

It seems your professor was insinuating a belief in past-lives, I cant imagine any other way to learn a foreign language in your sleep; but that's a subject for another forum.

well since this is relevant my psych prof told us that there's a big theory that dreams are a way of sorting through memories and organizing them. Sounds pretty fucked up considering my dreams are mostly nightmares.

back when i was a kid i tried learning using binaural beats, sleeping while listening to recorded lectures and stuff like that. I dont know i got decent marks but never bothered doing weird shit like that after high school and post DXM use lol.

AFAIK sleep learning doesn't work.

Leave a TV on while you sleep.. Wake up.. what was on TV while you slept? You're not going to know..

It's possible for maybe some bits to get into your brain, subconsciously, but nowhere near enough to learn a new language.. maybe a word a night if it was just repeating it over and over.. it'd be too hit and miss..

I tried this technique more than once.

When I was in college, I once recorded several verbs declined in Latin. I was in Latin 2 or 3 at the time. I did not remember anything from sleeping with the ear buds in and my verbs playing.

I tried it with other subjects as well. I tried using the same recorded information for several nights in a row, but still, no impact on the information in my head.

It was just my own little trial and error type investigation and I was disappointed with my lack of results. Life went on and I had to memorize stuff while conscious.

Your mileage may vary.

I take daytime naps at university all the time and I swear I learn from it. But I am studying engineering and that is very symbolic/problem solving based. For example, I am having trouble remembering a calculus theory i will stare at the symbols until i feel sleepy. When I wake up, I can answer the problems. Not sure if this is from sleep learning or just being well rested though....