• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Simulated Reality

I'm especially a fan of simulated environments used in Star Trek Voyager, though they do use them in DS9 and TNG quite a bit as well.

I think it might resemble it. It's possible. But I think the truth is probably weirder.

I have to bump this thread again after watching this video, https://youtu.be/t_RwcGzGurc Nearly 2 hours of a physicist explaining the experiments (Wheeler's delayed choice experiment in particular) that indicate reality is virtual and the nature of the universe is information. It gets really heady but also very grounded being that he is a physicist. By the end he explains so much about the all-inclusiveness of this theory, but also tells us not to believe it because that may close our minds to new data, but to think about it as a compelling theory and potential model for explaining everything.

according to a note sent to private and institutional investors by Bank of America, there is a 20-50% chance we are in a simulated reality

http://www.businessinsider.com/bank-of-america-wonders-about-the-matrix-2016-9

This actually happened. I'm familiar with these investor briefings. They usually focus on the price of foreign exchange rates or the price of coffee futures. Perhaps the bottom line is that now is a good time to buy stock in companies producing AR/VR headsets. This made me laugh. Apparently this idea is so mainstream now (must have been asleep or something) that banks feel the need to inform their clients about this.

I feel the ultimate most abstract goal of consciousness is to simulate reality. Once a lifeform simulates reality a new universe is born and the same events happen infinitely creating an infinite amount of information seamlessly propagating into eternity. Were on a rock in a universe that's also in a universe of it's own made on the same rock in a universe made on it's own...

Or maybe I've done too many drugs 8o8:)\:?

Quantum information theory is the way many professors of quantum mechanics understand the topic these days. The language reflects a shift towards the point you are making CH. The math is the same, but now there is someone who wants to know added to the picture asking questions with a cognitive abstraction added that reflects the reality of the observer. This is the natural progression as quantum systems become tools for computation and storage of data. What that information is is in the eye of the beholder.

I totally agree