• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Simple question about NSAIDs and the stomach

Jamshyd

Bluelight Crew
I have always wondered - do NSAIDs (notably aspirin and naproxen) irritate the stomach-lining due to their own physical presence in the stomach (as is the case with alcohol, for example), or do they cause it indirectly (ex. increased acid secretion) due to their pharmacology?

To put it in other words, if someone has an ulcer and gets injected with aspirin or takes it rectally, would they still suffer from gastric issues?

That's a good question. All I know is that they are horrible and I cannot take them anymore at all. :(

I've always assumed it was due to its own presence, but come to think of it, I do not know for sure.

If you want to repair your stomach lining, apparently taking glutamine supplements on an empty stomach helps repair it. I'm not sure if it's true though. I hope it is, as I'm doing that right now.

From Wikipedia

The main ADRs (adverse drug reactions) associated with use of NSAIDs relate to direct and indirect irritation of the gastrointestinal tract (GIT). NSAIDs cause a dual insult on the GIT: the acidic molecules directly irritate the gastric mucosa, and inhibition of COX-1 reduces the levels of protective prostaglandins. Inhibition of prostaglandin synthesis in the GI tract causes increased gastric acid secretion, diminished bicarbonate secretion, diminished mucous secretion and diminished trophic effects on epithelial mucosa.