• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Should my friend try Oxycontin? Seeking good advice.

Wonderland17

Greenlighter
Let's call my friend: David.

So, I do realize this is sort of a stupid question. But what I'm looking for is some good and neutral advice regarding oxycontin.
I'll try to keep this as short as possible, David is a very curious person, He's been experimenting with drugs for a while now, mainly out of curiosity, but of course also for the pleasure of it. He has discovered that he don't really have that much of an addictive personality, like a lot of people around him. He has tried Coke, Speed, Weed, MDMA, LSD, Valium, Tramadol, Xanax, Kratom, etc.

He has access to a lot of different drugs, however the only once he do regularly are Valium (10mg once every other week) and kratom (low dose bidaily), he dosn't like stimulants and didn't like Tramadol much either, but he thinks that might be because he doesn't get along with SSRI's very well.

So, I know stupid questions get stupid answers, but the question I'm asking is less of "Should he try Oxycontin" and more along the lines of:

How addictive is this drug in comparison? I know you can't really compare them since they're so different, and every person reacts differently to them. But if you were forced to compare their addictive quality what would it be? Say Valium/Tramadol is a 3 out of 10, what would Oxycontin be?

And

Does he, from the things written above, sound like he would be able to deal with this drug? Like I said, he has access to other drugs, It's not only about getting high, it's the curiosty that's killing him.

First of all if you live in the US its extremely important that you test any pill sold as oxycontin since there are a lot of fakes one going around.

Second its individual, I have done oxy 1 week in a row and could stop no problem, I just cannot imagine becoming addicted to opiates, they would become boring as fk after a while, I think that its really individual and comes down to individual sensitivities to each chemical and each persons brain chemistry.

Honest opinion: It isn't worth seeing if you can handle it and not get addicted. Everyone thinks it won't happen to them until it does. At some point you look around and realize you've been spending most of your income on opioids for the last year and find yourself trapped. You're left with the option of stopping and going into massive w/d and being unable to work or continuing to use them so that you can work without being sick and spending most of your income on them weekly.

On a certain level, there can never be a quantifiable amount of "addictiveness" for any drug as this puts too much weight on the chemical side of things. A much better measurement would likely be based on the individual's status in life at the moment: are they isolated, depressed, reclusive, anxious etc. etc. Plenty of people try otherwise "hard" drugs and do not get addicted, and while the chemistry of the drugs have a role to play, it's most definitely not the only factor (and merely saying "I don't have an addictive personality" is really not a good accounting of the aforementioned non-chemical factors).

With that said, yes, obviously, oxy is addictive. Should you try it? I mean really what kind of question is that? What did you really mean to ask in this thread? You trying to get other people to help justify something your own conscience won't allow? I don't mean to reprimand you at all, I mean dude I was addicted to oxy/dope for years, so if anything I'm way stupider than you. I am more just trying to make you appreciate the primacy of the moment you are currently in such that you can make a well thought through decision; since people who are really "just curious" have an innocence to drug experience that would never allow them to make a post like this.

Good luck (and feel free to message me if you have any other questions)

How addictive is this drug in comparison?

The top 2 most addictive drugs, on average, are nicotine and methamphetamine.

However, there's some people (--> ME!) who found heroin to be the most addictive drug, ever. I was even alright with high dose oxycodone, hydrocodone, etc. I didn't find these addictive.

It's a slippery slope; if your friend gets hooked you'll feel bad. If he doesn't, maybe he'll think he's invincible with wax wings and will fly too close to the sun by trying heroin. Who knows?

In my experience, roughly 1 in 4 human beings likes heroin to seek it out more than once in a blue moon; and if you're 3 of the 4 who would only use it in a blue moon, you probably aren't using it at all. It's the worst addictive drug in terms of psychological and physical addiction. There are some drugs with stronger psychological addictions (nicotine, methamphetamine) and others more physically addictive (alcohol, barbiturates, perhaps benzodiazepines, etc.) but heroin takes the cake in this way (both psychologically and physically addictive).

stop the kratom and valium. If you crave it or feel like something is missing inside you. You are an addict and should stop while you're ahead.
You are thinking about doing pills during a time where pressed fet pills are on the rise.

you will get addicted
its even bad for people who dont abuse it and i know a woman who says she always feels energetic when taking her 40mg extended twice a day and if add amitriptyline it makes her nod, its released over a 7 hour period so say I have a 30mg what I take that is 4.2mg a hour but I think you get so much released in the first hour then some later.

So, I do realize this is sort of a stupid question. But what I'm looking for is some good and neutral advice regarding oxycontin.
I'll try to keep this as short as possible, David is a very curious person, He's been experimenting with drugs for a while now, mainly out of curiosity, but of course also for the pleasure of it. He has discovered that he don't really have that much of an addictive personality, like a lot of people around him. He has tried Coke, Speed, Weed, MDMA, LSD, Valium, Tramadol, Xanax, Kratom, etc.

He has access to a lot of different drugs, however the only once he do regularly are Valium (10mg once every other week) and kratom (low dose bidaily), he dosn't like stimulants and didn't like Tramadol much either, but he thinks that might be because he doesn't get along with SSRI's very well.

So, I know stupid questions get stupid answers, but the question I'm asking is less of "Should he try Oxycontin" and more along the lines of:

How addictive is this drug in comparison? I know you can't really compare them since they're so different, and every person reacts differently to them. But if you were forced to compare their addictive quality what would it be? Say Valium/Tramadol is a 3 out of 10, what would Oxycontin be?

And

Does he, from the things written above, sound like he would be able to deal with this drug? Like I said, he has access to other drugs, It's not only about getting high, it's the curiosty that's killing him.

David, oxycodone is just an opiate, and nothing special. You have already basically experienced an opiate high before.

Oxycodone can be extremely addictive. A lot of people I know became addicted to it, take it regularly for pain and said how they can see how people can become addicted to it, or abused oxy and would have became addicted had they not stopped using it. Tramadol is not an SSRI.

A lot of oxy, and benzo pills sold on the street or from dealers are fakes laced with fentanyl and you have no idea if it is real oxycodone or fentanyl until you take it, and people overdose and die from them.

Based on what you wrote, it sounds as though you already are addicted to Kratom and Valium. If you must use drugs just smoke weed a few times a month on weekends when you are not busy working, and maybe drink socially in low standard amounts of 1-2 drinks as an adult.

Or some people take way too much oxy their first time and overdose and die.

If you take the Valium or other benzos daily slowly cut back, do not stop all at once, and do this under the supervision of a doctor. You will not get into any sort of legal trouble if you tell your doctor about the drugs you use.

Stay safe.

Last edited:
Please Listen and listen carefully. I’m 31 and like your friend, I too had always considered myself with a non addictive personality. Smoked weed daily since I was at least 19, and with other drugs like cocaine, shrooms, lsd, Xanax, ya know, your run of the mill recreation drugs would rarely turn It down when the opportunity presented itself. Even tried meth a few times. And with all of those I never once formed any type of addiction or had any issues stopping use. All of that changed with opioids. I hurt my back 3 years ago. Got on tabs for a couple weeks then stopped after my back had gotten better. Had no issues stopping use, but the problem was, I had discovered that I really enjoyed the high. So not long after I start buying them here and there at first for maybe just the weekend to have some fun at a party. Then that escalated to taking them at work to help the day go by and enjoy being there. Then the time came finally when one day I woke up and felt terrible. I thought I was sick at first like with the flu. Sore and achy, irritable, no energy. But then I noticed how jittery I was and shaky, a constant feeling of anxiousness that just will not go away. It had been about 2 days maybe 3 that I hadn’t had any pills. Next day comes and my skin is crawling and nothing I could do could make me comfortable. It’s like a mix of restless leg and your bones trying to escape your skin. It’s something I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. So, from that day on I was no longer wanting the pills for the high, I was wanting (needing) them to keep from getting sick. So then began the lying, and the spending money on them when that money should be going to pay bills instead. But you see what’s funny is at the time, you convince yourself that what you are doing is ok, and you’ll somehow make it up later. You rarely do. So then my wife and I began falling behind on bills and to keep her from knowing my issues I had to start telling more lies. So what was happening is now those pills were becoming the most important thing in my life. Not my wife, or my job, but pills. I had to have those in order to take care of the other.
See addiction comes like a thief in the night, only taking small pieces of you, so small that you don’t even realize you’re being stolen from. Until it’s too late. And the worst part, was I felt like I was leading a double life. One life I was this upstanding member of the community. Good job. Great wife and happily married. I was thought of as a good guy. Then I had the other life. Filled with all these lies to keep it hidden all while doing whatever I could to supply my habit. It was exhausting. And thankfully, it finally all came to a head and the truth was out. It was my wake up call that I needed. I realized that something had to change before I lost something that I couldn’t get back. So I got help and got clean and it was the hardest thing I ever had to do. So to answer your question, no, he should most definitely stay away. It has the ability to take a good man who loves his wife and works hard to provide. A man with ambition and plans for his future. It can take that man and make him throw all of that to the wayside like an after thought. I know. Because that was me.

Oxycodone is very addictive indeed! I'm prescribed 30mg 4x a day (120mg daily) for Neuropathy in my left arm. I have a love/hate relationship with my Oxy's. I hate it cos my body is now physically dependent on it and I love it cos it relieves my pain and makes me feel good (Euphoria). Don't take it recreationally as you will quickly find yourself with an addiction which is a bitch to kick!

don't take it!!
I am late to this Party, and that is a good thing,
the WAR on opiates will never end, and the millions of people it will hurt and Kill is going to be staggering.
In 1996 Purde pulled the biggest lie in History ( Oxy is not addictive, No Tolerance problem, Stop when eve you want , No Withdrawals !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so the US and many counties where Flooded with Free Oxy ( Dr . RX and insurance paid, and people wrote Wonderful letters of recommendation for everyone as long as pills keep coming)

Now no pills
Horrible withdrawals
Expensive on the Street $$$$$$$$$$$$
Fent presses
ODs
SUCKS

DON'T START

Best answer is not worth it. Try L, thats one thing you try. Pain pills mess up lives and the non dependence part is short lived. Best to learn from others and skip it. You are missing nothing special.

It sounds like you are already addicted to kratom, sorry to say. This is exactly how my high dose kratom habit started and when I first started using pills this sounds exactly like a post I would have made to justify my use of
"every once in a while."

I agree with the poster that said to stop the kratom and valium to test whether you crave it or not. If you can stop those and not crave them then you probably actually do have a low chance of getting addicted to oxy, but if you think bi-daily use of kratom isn't addiction then i'm sorry to say that you're wrong.

I got lucky in a way since the only abundant things around me is kratom and fent/heroin, and I absolutely refuse to do heroin.

You can lie to yourself but it's going to lead to pain and regret in the future.

I have taken benzos for 10 years and am not addicted. I sometimes go weeks at a time without taking any. I smoked for 12 years and quit (13 years ago).

I have taken quite a lot of meth (shard & powder), speed, prescription stimulants, MDMA, LSD, Cocaine, Weed, Soma, Kratom, Oxy, Dilaudid, Heroin, Methadone, Suboxone etc... You get the idea.

Everything except Opiates (and alcohol - but that's a different yet similar beast) I can take or leave. The first time I took Oxy I didn't like it much but decided to try again. The second time set in motion the addiction I still have 4 years later. I haven't had Oxy for years, but Heroin is a regular companion. Fortunately I've worked out how to use for a few days and then get back on suboxone without too much pain. Without Suboxone I'd likely be churning through every cent I earn.

Don't fool yourself - Heroin can bring the strongest to their knees - and it's insidious. I was physically addicted before I became psychologically addicted. That meant quitting required a week or two away from commitments, as opiate withdrawal is incapacitating. By the time I managed to get a week alone I was psychologically hooked too. Now she is in my dreams - I'm jonesing now just typing this.

Don't do it!! Someone on here said the same thing to me when I was playing with Oxy and I ignored it. Don't do what I did.

And

No. No, no, no, no, no, no. I can't stress that enough. Oxy is even more addictive than heroin. It is absolutely not worth it.