• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Should I get my methadone increased?

Tacoma

Bluelighter
I take my methadone at 7am everyday and I usually reach my "peak" around 9 which makes me feel high, nauseous, hyper, euphoric and kind of numb. By afternoon the "high" feeling fades but my eyes are still pin pointed and I am falling asleep every 5 minutes (that might not be from the methadone I'm lacking sleep ) by 7pm my eyes start to dilate and I began get withdrawal symptoms. Do you think this sounds like too much or too little methadone? This is only my 3rd day on it and don't want to ask for an increase until I know I need it or am getting take home doses.

It sounds like a bit much, but if it's only your third day I would say stay put for a week or two. At the two week mark reevaluate how you feel and adjust your dose as needed.

I definitely would not increase your dose at this point. Make sure you stay away from gabaergic drugs like benzos and alcohol if you feeling at all strung out as you stabilize on your new medication.

What dose are you at now? Do you have plans for an extended detox (6 months) or maintenance? What were you dependent on before you start ORT? How long had you been using?

These are all questions that we can use to give you more suggestions regarding your dose, but ultimately it is up for you to decided what dose works for you based on how it makes you feel and how it affects your cognitive, motor and social functioning.

Congrats on making the switch to methdone! As long as you stay in touch with your short and long term goals this can be a beautiful beginning to a wonderful journey in your recovery :) <3

If it's too much, you would want it decreased. ;)

But yes, it's a good idea to get your dosage lowered.

Thanks for the support and not being one of those people who say its "fake sober" I am currently on 20mg (they won't go higher because I'm only 80 something pounds) the effects I described prior have sense went away. I still have pin pointed pupils but that's about it. The clinic believes the "euphoria" I thought I was feeling was really just me feeling like myself again and not being blasted on h which made me constantly worry that I was gonna run out and get sick.

Sounds like too little to me. Methadone needs to build up to peak constant levels. If your levels are going up and down then you will get high in the morning and be sick by evening. When you are taking enough then you will have constant levels in your system and will barely even notice your dose because it won't signifigantly effect the serum levels.

I was on methadone for over 10yrs. Funny thing was that I would take 180mgs a day and double or triple dose several times a week but I got way more fucked up when they brought me down. When I got to 30mgs I would be sick in the evening but when I took my morning dose I would be high as a kite till afternoon when I would notice the sickness starting to come on. I just found it so strange that I had taken 580mgs at one time and barely felt high at all but once they brought me down to 30mgs and I started getting sick in the evenings my morning dose would hit me hard as hell. Sounds exactly like what you are going through.

Please not that I am not suggesting that you go up to 180mgs. Nobody needs to be that high. You should find a dose where you feel balanced and even all day.

Last edited:
^ no people notice their drink. If that wasnt the case we wouldnt be running there first thing in the morning.

On 160mg for 3 years thinking about tapering but terrified. Drug of choice- I've fallen in love with every opiate I've ever met. Doc said she would start slow, just thinking about it makes my drug dreams start again. I've come so far but feel I'm strung out on done......