• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Should I be prescribed Suboxone?

eagles202020

Greenlighter
Hi All

New on here, but I have read several posts and have gained a lot of knowledge through here (I think). So heres a quick rundown of my situation:

I suffer from bulging discs and terrible TMJ; my jaw dislocates when its closed. So over the past year Ive been in a ton of pain. I have done everything my PCP has asked of me; mris, x rays, tests, etc... After a few weeks, we found the Percocet 10mg 325 were the best fit for my pain and thats what we did. I was on this for about 1 year total. I was never "addicted" to the percs but by about the 9th month I started having urges of that I needed it and would panic when I was close to running out. So then I knew I was on slippery slope, so was very honest with my DR and he knew everything. We decided that by the end of the year (this year) we would start to ween me off by the new year. Naturally, my balance was getting out of control with the practice and I only needed 1 more refill, possibly 2, to ween me off as we had discussed, however when I called to make an appointment the receptionists were incredibly rude to me and refused to schedule an appointment for me. I called my Dr over that weekend, and he couldnt do anything and was now going to refer me to a Dr he knows that specializes in Suboxone. So that Monday, I saw the new doctor and I was prescribed Suboxone 8mg/2mg strips once a day.

Now, Ive tried reading as much as possible on Suboxone, and from what I gathered its a very potent and last resort medicine for serious pill and heroin etc addicts. My question is, should I have been prescribed Suboxone? I was taking 12-14 Perc 10s a day, only for the 2-3 months leading up to it. Before that, a 120 script would last me 3 weeks - month. I have never had a problem with pain medicine, Ive never done hard drugs ever. Suddenly I find myself wrapped up in medicine and programs for serious addicts - and the withdrawal and dangers are insane that go with it. Any advice? Thank you!

Hi,

From what I'v ready it doesn't seem like you would need to be prescribed Subs, I guess only for your withdraw from perks which brutal. I definitely wouldn't do Sub maintenance though as withdrawing from subs is the worst can last up to several weeks.

Hi eagles, welcome to Bluelight! Sorry to hear you've been in so much pain. Like above post mentioned, withdrawals from buprenorphine can be much worse than coming off oxycodone. Did this new doctor discuss going off the suboxone or give you a timeframe of how long he would like to keep you on it?