• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Severe Insomnia with Oxycodone WD

Palermoblue762

Greenlighter
First Off, Let me introduce myself. My name is palermoblue762 and am currently kicking an 10 year opiate addiction. My my normal good dose is 40mg IR to get me where I need to be but of had 24 hour binges popping up to 100-130 mgs and staying up a whole 24 hours. I smoke weed with it to synergize the opioid effects.

My last dose of Oxy was Saturday Jan 30th. even before then I was still up since Wednesday earlier that week, My last day of rest was Wednesday as I've been skipping days of opiate abuse.

I was wondering if long-term insomnia is a sign of with draw that I'll have to put up with and does it become dangerous after so many days in,if not multiple weeks? Today I've taken 3mgs od alprazolam (Xans) so I'm going to if this will knock me out as wells smoke heavy weed.

What do you guys think in general, and is there anyone on here who've experienced weeks of insomnia du to not taking opiates

First Off, Let me introduce myself. My name is palermoblue762 and am currently kicking an 10 year opiate addiction. My my normal good dose is 40mg IR to get me where I need to be but of had 24 hour binges popping up to 100-130 mgs and staying up a whole 24 hours. I smoke weed with it to synergize the opioid effects.

My last dose of Oxy was Saturday Jan 30th. even before then I was still up since Wednesday earlier that week, My last day of rest was Wednesday as I've been skipping days of opiate abuse.

I was wondering if long-term insomnia is a sign of with draw that I'll have to put up with and does it become dangerous after so many days in,if not multiple weeks? Today I've taken 3mgs od alprazolam (Xans) so I'm going to if this will knock me out as wells smoke heavy weed.

What do you guys think in general, and is there anyone on here who've experienced weeks of insomnia du to not taking opiates

Oxycodone withdrawal as all other opiates for that matter, will cause extreme insomnia. When I say extreme insomnia, my oxy withdrawal (120-180 mg daily) took about 12 days before I slept at all.

Suboxone and methadone withdrawal left me with insomnia for 21 days ish.

You will be sleeping somewhat normally within a month.

The lack of sleep is the one thing that has lead me to repeated relapse. I can deal with the sweats, fatigue, yawning, depression, restlessness.

But not sleeping really gets you, just know if you’re serious about quitting it’s not permanent and it will pass.

@Palermoblue762 - OK gave you some good advice - i'm gunna shoot this over to Health and Recovery though so you can get more input. The thread will have a permanent redirect so you both can find it here in New Member Introductions as well.

Good luck with everything and yeah i'm a pot head too :cool: it can help many things, in many ways.

Welcome to Bluelight!

@Palermoblue762 , congratulations on starting your recovery! You will get good advice on here.
It’s hard to believe, but toward the end of my opiate addiction I was taking 20+ pills per day just to function. I couldn’t feel anything from them I had to take that many just to be able to avoid withdrawals.
Good luck, you can do it!!!

insomnia is the one thing that literally makes EVERY other symptom of withdrawal almost unbearable. it will really start to play on your ability to keep focused on the goal. when i came off bupe i didn't sleep a wink for about a week until finally getting about a half hour to an hour a couple times a day waking up due to restless legs/arms for another couple weeks yet. best of luck she's tough. the xanax should help a whole bunch.

Oxycodone withdrawal as all other opiates for that matter, will cause extreme insomnia. When I say extreme insomnia, my oxy withdrawal (120-180 mg daily) took about 12 days before I slept at all.

Suboxone and methadone withdrawal left me with insomnia for 21 days ish.

You will be sleeping somewhat normally within a month.

The lack of sleep is the one thing that has lead me to repeated relapse. I can deal with the sweats, fatigue, yawning, depression, restlessness.

But not sleeping really gets you, just know if you’re serious about quitting it’s not permanent and it will pass.
The world record is 11 days, just fyi.

Ok the recorded world record is 11 days? I’ve broken that easily in Suboxone withdrawal.

And plenty of meth addicts stay up past 12 days trust me on that
Google it. To be frank, I don't believe you. If this is true, you are very special. In fact, you need to go to a professional and prove your neigh magical ability. But like a psychic, I don't believe your extraordinary snowflake power without extraordinary proof. I don't buy it. I don't even rent it.

I just care about misinformation. & for whatever reason, it's rampant in this "community". Doesn't help people who are trying so hard in earnest. Your ego isn't as important as actually helping people who are desperate for solid info to help them get through it all.

Google it. To be frank, I don't believe you. If this is true, you are very special. In fact, you need to go to a professional and prove your neigh magical ability. But like a psychic, I don't believe your extraordinary snowflake power without extraordinary proof. I don't buy it. I don't even rent it.

I just care about misinformation. & for whatever reason, it's rampant in this "community". Doesn't help people who are trying so hard in earnest. Your ego isn't as important as actually helping people who are desperate for solid info to help them get through it all.

I help people all the time on this forum and nothing I speak on is a lie or not from personal experience. Just because I said opiates cause extreme insomnia doesn’t mean I didn’t fall asleep for an hour or two here and there

Now take your holier than thou attitude and shove it up your ass

I help people all the time on this forum and nothing I speak on is a lie or not from personal experience. Just because I said opiates cause extreme insomnia doesn’t mean I didn’t fall asleep for an hour or two here and there

Now take your holier than thou attitude and shove it up your ass
Then nevermind. I think it's obvious that I was discussing cessation of sleep entirely. If you think I misunderstood, maybe next time say as much.

I'm not holier than thou for stating & emphasizing facts. If the facts are misdirected, say as much. But there are people on this forum saying they didn't get any sleep for so and so days that is an obvious exaggeration. That's my issue.

If it didn't apply to you, why didn't you clarify? Why did you get defensive and reiterate it without adding the fact that you had insomnia but could still manage an hour or two here or there? I genuinely don't understand.

It isn't holier than thou to call out a claim of not sleeping for that long, imho. Accuracy matters. Sorry if I offended you, but if it didn't apply to you in the first place, I'm not sure why you would care. & for that matter, I never targeted my post at you in particular. I skimmed some, kept seeing wild claims, and said as much to make it clear to anyone reading. It wasn't personal, it was straight to the point. & when I talk about people who need help, in what way was I implying you never help people? I'm saying the misinformation isn't good for people. You are your own person, I don't know you, and I'm very glad you help so many people. I'm discussing the issue, not you yourself. I have no beef with you, & I hope you keep doing what you're doing in terms of giving your time to support others.

My statement stands about the limits of sleep deprivation. That is all.

Edit: Mixed this up with another post. This one was, in fact, directed at a quote from you. Still though, point stands: wasn't about you, was about misinformation. Nothing personal.

Hope your sleeping by now. Stay off the benzo, you can get addicted to them very quickly and then you'll have more WD to deal with, which won't be pretty.

Go to the pharmacy and get some phenergen (promethazine hydrochloride) its OTC, you'll get 56 in a pack. They're pretty strong and will help you sleep. Coming from a heavy hypnotic user, I've found them pretty strong.

Zopiclone will also help, they work slightly differently to benzos and addiction potential is lower, but they can still be addictive so again, be careful.

I also find that meditation helped, the disassociation felt during WD was worth clinging too to fight off the rampant anxiety.

Sleep is really important and will speed up your recovery.

That 11 day record was set in 1964, since then there are accounts of numerous people who have beaten it by a long shot. The Australian National Sleep Research Project states the record for sleep deprivation is 18 days, 21 hours, and 40 minutes. And thats just from a quick Google. Clearly you care about misinformation... Don't let arrogance run away from you.

Last edited:
Hope your sleeping by now. Stay off the benzo, you can get addicted to them very quickly and then you'll have more WD to deal with, which won't be pretty.

Go to the pharmacy and get some phenergen (promethazine hydrochloride) its OTC, you'll get 56 in a pack. They're pretty strong and will help you sleep. Coming from a heavy hypnotic user, I've found them pretty strong.

Zopiclone will also help, they work slightly differently to benzos and addiction potential is lower, but they can still be addictive so again, be careful.

I also find that meditation helped, the disassociation felt during WD was worth clinging too to fight off the rampant anxiety.

Sleep is really important and will speed up your recovery.
Morphine was 8 for me and the only thing that helped me get a couple hours after was seroquel. I believe it but like you said people are different. I'm on day 11 of getting off morphine of 2 years, still have all the symptoms