• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Pharmacology Seraquel radioactivity?

This thread contains discussion about a Pharmacology-related topic

Juicewrldfan

Bluelighter
What is this article referring to seraquel measuring its radioactivity? What im the fuck…is that a manner of testing or what? Seraquel isn’t radioactive right? I just started this med today. I feel dumb for asking this.

Here is the article.

They weren't using normal quetiapine, its radio labeled with a carbon isotope that has 6 protons and 8 neutrons. They're doing this to track the movement of the compound through the body to study the pharmacokinetics

"After administration of [14C]quetiapine"
Thanks man. I figured it was probably something with testing but saw radioactive and it sent my mind spinning haha.

Much appreciated as I just started this med.

They make it radioactive so that they can measure how the drug and its metabolites are excreted. They do this basically by using a geiger counter on all of a person's shit and piss, until they are able to account for all of the radioactivity from the dose.

They make it radioactive so that they can measure how the drug and its metabolites are excreted. They do this basically by using a geiger counter on all of a person's shit and piss, until they are able to account for all of the radioactivity from the dose.
Thanks man. How about the diabetes class action lawsuit tho from seraquel? They apparently knew and didn’t tell people. I’m just starting it but I am borderline diabetic. So now I’m concerned and I really really like how this med is making me feel so far. How do you rate the risk of diabetes from it?

Say in comparison with amphetamines

Thanks man. How about the diabetes class action lawsuit tho from seraquel? They apparently knew and didn’t tell people. I’m just starting it but I am borderline diabetic. So now I’m concerned and I really really like how this med is making me feel so far. How do you rate the risk of diabetes from it?

Say in comparison with amphetamines
I'm about to get off the bus to work, so I'll keep this short and expand tonight.

I'm pretty sure amphetamine has no propensity to cause diabetes, and some of its behavioral patterns (reduced appetite) are probably beneficial.

Antipsychotics generally have a few things that come together to be bad for metabolism. Seroquel especially has a reputation for causing the munchies. Antipsychotics also tend to cause fatigue and result in people being less active. Finally and probably most importantly, these drugs directly affect both glucose metabolism and insulin resistence.

I would try and get monitored by your doc to stay in top of it.

I'll find a couple of sources this evening to make sure I'm not lying to you.

I'm about to get off the bus to work, so I'll keep this short and expand tonight.

I'm pretty sure amphetamine has no propensity to cause diabetes, and some of its behavioral patterns (reduced appetite) are probably beneficial.

Antipsychotics generally have a few things that come together to be bad for metabolism. Seroquel especially has a reputation for causing the munchies. Antipsychotics also tend to cause fatigue and result in people being less active. Finally and probably most importantly, these drugs directly affect both glucose metabolism and insulin resistence.

I would try and get monitored by your doc to stay in top of it.

I'll find a couple of sources this evening to make sure I'm not lying to you.
Thanks man! I tried to ask on Reddit psychopharmacology sub and they said I need to do basic research. The pranswer norm is interpreting the research when I don’t speak that language very well (scientific language)

You should never feel or be shamed for asking questions, even ones that you or others might consider basic. There is no bad question, how else do we learn things?

Thanks man! I tried to ask on Reddit psychopharmacology sub and they said I need to do basic research. The pranswer norm is interpreting the research when I don’t speak that language very well (scientific language)
I try to jump on those kinds of responses real quick. The elitist drug snob who is both judgemental of people who aren't informed about stuff, but then also can't be bothered to offer a helpful response when someone asks a valid question - it's a shitty look and leads to people not asking questions when they should. It's up there with confidently incorrect people who want to tell you stuff that they claim is accurate and tell you to do your own research when you ask for more info. If they actually went and looked up information on the claim they are making, they'd see that they are actually giving bad info.

Whenever I share stuff, I try to give people a good answer as well as some options as to where they can look for more info. Asking questions is one of the main reasons spaces like bluelight exist and are so valuable. People seem to forget that sometimes...

Reddit has an oddly created dichotomy of basic and advanced drug discussion. The basic drug discussion is often wildly inaccurate, bad or dangerous advice, and immature. The advanced subreddits (like r/DrugNerds) will ban you simply for posing a question they deem too trivial or uninteresting.

That's why BL is #1

I really want to get my hands on some radiolabled cocaine, just for the novelty if it, because radioactive cocaine sounds kewl.

WAIT, IS THAT True? (cba to fix that accidental caps lock) 'cause I took about 3000mg Seroquel ~26 hours ago and have felt incredibly shit ever since.

WAIT, IS THAT True? (cba to fix that accidental caps lock) 'cause I took about 3000mg Seroquel ~26 hours ago and have felt incredibly shit ever since.
Nprimal seroquel isn't radioactive.

This study made a special analog that uses radioactive carbon 14 for tracing metabolism, while not altering the structure. The radioactivity is low enough that it doesn't pose a risk to the people who took it.